Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in heat?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding in heat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 06:23 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I could ride in the heat just fine, until I couldn't. Like a switch was thrown when I was age 72. Don't take chances. If you've suffered from heat exhaustion you know the dangers are real.
I found the same thing. I am 71 and on BP meds, but don't know if that has anything to do with it. When it's really hot and humid, like it has been here lately, I find that even on a short ride my HR is elevated and doesn't recover like it should. If I do go out, I have to ride at a very relaxed pace and try to keep my watts down. I had heat exhaustion a few years ago on a hot ride, and it seems since then I have little tolerance for riding in the heat.
Zwift and my air conditioned, fan blown "man cave" room isn't as satisfying as riding outdoors, but it's a lot healthier.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-03-23, 06:32 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I found the same thing. I am 71 and on BP meds, but don't know if that has anything to do with it. When it's really hot and humid, like it has been here lately, I find that even on a short ride my HR is elevated and doesn't recover like it should. If I do go out, I have to ride at a very relaxed pace and try to keep my watts down. I had heat exhaustion a few years ago on a hot ride, and it seems since then I have little tolerance for riding in the heat.
Zwift and my air conditioned, fan blown "man cave" room isn't as satisfying as riding outdoors, but it's a lot healthier.
I’m only 65 and the heat gets to me.
I had possible heat exhaustion years ago throwing an asphalt patch in 95* heat and high humidity. My pulse went way up and mt bp got really liw.
I also take bp meds.
This just ain’t our summer guys.
Old 08-03-23, 06:50 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
My brother dropped a bunch of pounds, went more plant based, got off his BP meds, and handles the North Texas heat very well—much better than me who lives by the beach in SoCal. But he’s only 63.
Old 08-03-23, 07:44 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I wish our temps were near 90*.
Near 90 is balmy.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-03-23, 08:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I had heat exhaustion a few years ago on a hot ride, and it seems since then I have little tolerance for riding in the heat.
I think I've read that we can become even more susceptible after additional episodes. My tolerance is now so low that I suffer after even two hours in this heat. Not worth going out for, IMO.
Old 08-03-23, 09:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Given sufficient fluids and slower pace, I found that riding in low humidity western states with temps in the 105-115F were not as bad as 95-100F back East, actually not really comparable. When you cannot evaporate sweat, the risks are quite different. I know this feeling of mine goes against the heat index charts but that is what I found for myself. As I get older and even when acclimated to heat, I really have to slow down in it
Old 08-03-23, 09:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
riding in the heat is more difficult, no doubt, I just don't push myself. if I'm moving, I'm happy. biking near the coast, last week, was waaay easier. back home, the heat, humidity & bugs are a real joy
Old 08-03-23, 09:25 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
So far so good. As said above acclimation is key. I commute 4-5 days a week. Year round. 5mi to work. 5-7 mi back to the park n ride. On the weekends go for a longer rec ride.

It's weird but the toughest time is when the temps are changing. When they first get over 100 I feel it. Started taking it easy, Don't worry about extra distance or speed in the afternoons. Shortened my weekend rides. Also take more breaks. Here in the big city there's a fast food or convenience place within a couple of mi.

The last bit of advice comes from Jack LaLanne. Listen to your body. If you're feeling it take a break. Cool off, relax.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/heat-exhaustion
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 08-03-23, 10:51 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Classtime
My brother dropped a bunch of pounds, went more plant based, got off his BP meds, and handles the North Texas heat very well—much better than me who lives by the beach in SoCal. But he’s only 63.
Getting off bp meds is my goal. My bp has been steadily lowering as has my weight. I quit smoking 5 years ago and had a comprehensive pulmonology test last year. My cardiologist gave me a stress test in January. I was good. I weighed 305 when I saw him. I see him at the end of yhis month for a followup. I will be 75 pounds lighter. Everything is good-no damage after 42 years of smoking.
I’m losing weight, not smoking, getting back in shape. I am getting close to my goal of embarrassing my doctor by dying of absolutely nothing.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 08-03-23 at 10:55 AM.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-03-23, 11:00 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
The risk-reward tradeoff in 100+ is dubious. This seems like a "you're OK until you're NOT" scenario. If the workout is that important, any trainer in front of a fan shouldn't be a question.

Me: Well, I thought I'd be OK.
Wife: you're stupid
Me: I did it fine years ago.
Wife: the ambulance was $400 and we haven't seen the ER bill yet.
Me: you know I'm doing what I love to do, that's all
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 08-03-23, 12:45 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
The risk-reward tradeoff in 100+ is dubious. This seems like a "you're OK until you're NOT" scenario. If the workout is that important, any trainer in front of a fan shouldn't be a question.

Me: Well, I thought I'd be OK.
Me: I did it fine years ago.
Wife: the ambulance was $400 and we haven't seen the ER bill yet.
Me: you know I'm doing what I love to do, that's all
I have been spending time at the gym but it isn’t the same.
I am also beginning to come to terms with some age limitations. I don’t like or agree with them but my body just doesn’t respond like it used to, and I ain’t happy about it.
Old 08-03-23, 01:27 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I do ride in heat (hate it combo'd with high humidity!). It seems to bother me more than a couple of years ago. Maybe because I missed last riding season due to recuping from an injury. Or it could just be I'm getting older. At the start of this season, did a hilly ride, in mid 90's, and felt wasted after just a few miles and hills in. Did most of the same ride the other day in mid 80's and felt fine. Could be the combo of missing a season, heat, or could be part of aging. Guess since I'm riding this season, the beginning of next season will tell.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-03-23, 02:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If you ride your bike slow in the heat, then you'll heat up quick and should probably only do very short rides. If your route lets you average 14 mph or better, you are probably good for any length. 16 mph or better and you probably won't notice the heat as long as you are sweating enough and don't get slowed down too often for hills and stops.

Long slow climbs are a consideration and I avoid them in extreme heat of 95°F and greater. So too is any time you have to stop for traffic lights and crossings. So eliminating routes that have a lot of stops required can help too.

Always be looking for shade. Try not to stop in the sunny spots. I was grateful just for the shade from the traffic light pole that is in a big sunny intersection with lots of asphalt and concrete that I had to stop at for a 2 minute light change coming back to my house today after a 90 minute ride.

You do need to get use to the heat though. Don't go out and do your best effort if you haven't done some easier efforts or shorter efforts in the heat.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-03-23 at 02:33 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-03-23, 09:15 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Near 90 is balmy.
lol

short ride late yesterday - started @ 76 degrees and was around 66 degrees when we finished

mornings and evenings have been relatively cool - upper 50’s in the morning last couple of days
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-03-23, 09:56 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by t2p
lol

short ride late yesterday - started @ 76 degrees and was around 66 degrees when we finished

mornings and evenings have been relatively cool - upper 50’s in the morning last couple of days
I don’t like you!
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-04-23, 09:16 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts
I don’t like you!

lol

prev ride - last weekend - 73 degrees at the start of the ride and finished in the 60’s ... certainly not typical for end of July

it was much warmer earlier in the week - mid-to-upper 80’s - but then a cold front / rain swept through

our ride was next to the Allegheny River - under a canopy of trees for much of the ride - actually felt good to get out in the open under the sun lol

Last edited by t2p; 08-04-23 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-04-23, 10:37 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by t2p

lol

prev ride - last weekend - 73 degrees at the start of the ride and finished in the 60’s ... certainly not typical for end of July

it was much warmer earlier in the week - mid-to-upper 80’s - but then a cold front / rain swept through

our ride was next to the Allegheny River - under a canopy of trees for much of the ride - actually felt good to get out in the open under the sun lol
I am honestly envious. That looks like a beautiful place to ride.
Old 08-04-23, 10:41 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I'd ride MUPs if I had one like that.
Old 08-04-23, 12:05 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I have to find another local route. I used to do laps through my small town but they “repaired” some roads-by chip sealing. It’s like loose gravel on the surface.
I spent 20 years in public works and have repaired a lot of roads. This surface is the poorest I have seen. It’s dangerous to ride on.
I guess it’s time to drive to a trail.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-04-23, 04:09 PM
Classtime 

You really should have a course to ride from your driveway. You’ll ride more and have more time to ride. Use the Strava heat maps and see where everybody else rides. Added benefit is you don’t have to go into a hot car after your ride.
Old 08-04-23, 04:37 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
I have to find another local route. I used to do laps through my small town but they “repaired” some roads-by chip sealing. It’s like loose gravel on the surface.
I spent 20 years in public works and have repaired a lot of roads. This surface is the poorest I have seen. It’s dangerous to ride on.
I hate it when they redo a road I like in chip seal like that. Depending on how well traveled it is, and how coarse the chip seal is, it could be many months before it smooths out.

I'm in Ellis county just south of you, BTW.
As far as the heat, I'm fixing to turn 75, and I've gotten to the point where I need to get an early enough start in order to be home by the time the temp hits ~ 92 degrees.

I look back at some of the organized charity rides I've done in the last 10 years, (Cedar Hill, Italy Tx, Waxahachie), all metric centuries, and there's absolutely no way I could survive the heat involved with those at this stage.

I cant personally comment on BP meds playing a part because I don't have any experience with them, but I'd suggest asking your doctor that prescribed them. Just a quick look around the net seems to show that some BP meds can indeed cause heat intolerance.

Best of luck to you.
Likes For missinglink:
Old 08-04-23, 04:48 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Classtime
You really should have a course to ride from your driveway. You’ll ride more and have more time to ride. Use the Strava heat maps and see where everybody else rides. Added benefit is you don’t have to go into a hot car after your ride.
There are some high traffic dangerous streets around me. I will figure something out near me but there is a 6 mile loop trail around a small lake about 4 miles away. The scenery should be better.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-04-23, 04:52 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by missinglink
I hate it when they redo a road I like in chip seal like that. Depending on how well traveled it is, and how coarse the chip seal is, it could be many months before it smooths out.

I'm in Ellis county just south of you, BTW.
As far as the heat, I'm fixing to turn 75, and I've gotten to the point where I need to get an early enough start in order to be home by the time the temp hits ~ 92 degrees.

I look back at some of the organized charity rides I've done in the last 10 years, (Cedar Hill, Italy Tx, Waxahachie), all metric centuries, and there's absolutely no way I could survive the heat involved with those at this stage.

I cant personally comment on BP meds playing a part because I don't have any experience with them, but I'd suggest asking your doctor that prescribed them. Just a quick look around the net seems to show that some BP meds can indeed cause heat intolerance.

Best of luck to you.
The chip seal is coarse and very loose. It is on residential streets in a small suburb so it will be a while before it clears.
Old 08-05-23, 04:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I do that very often. got a good bike rack?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-05-23, 07:21 AM
Classtime 

Riding where everybody else rides is a good idea.

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#11.88...0/bluered/ride

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.