Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hyperventilating during a cycling dream?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 08:30 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts

Has this happened to anybody else?

In the middle of the night, my wife woke me because I was breathing so hard that she thought I was having a medical event.

I wasn't. I was having a cycling dream. I think, but am not sure, that the dream involved working hard to not get dropped from a fast group.

Weird.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-04-23, 08:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I'm always flying and helping out the airline I use to fly for. And in those dreams I know I'm not really in their employ any more and that my medical certificate is out of date so I'm always hoping a FAA inspector doesn't come along.

Like yours, it's weird!

You must be doing some hard climbs in those dreams too along with trying not to get dropped!

Last edited by Iride01; 08-04-23 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-04-23, 09:15 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
I'll wake up breathing hard from dreams. Coulda been cycling, running, climbing, fighting, etc. Usually the heavy breathing wakes me up.
Old 08-04-23, 09:21 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You don't want to know my nightmares.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-04-23, 09:56 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I rarely remember dreams. But the other day I dreamed I was sleeping.

Dreams are lies, it's the dreaming that's real
Old 08-04-23, 10:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan

In the middle of the night, my wife woke me because I was breathing so hard that she thought I was having a medical event.

I wasn't. I was having a cycling dream. I think, but am not sure, that the dream involved working hard to not get dropped from a fast group.

Weird.
Weird indeed.
I will know I am living in a nightmare if I ever find myself concerned about getting dropped by a fast group of cyclists, let alone actually working hard to avoid such a situation.

Makes no difference whether I am awake or dreaming. My bicycling pleasure comes from riding to destinations of my choice at a pace and that suits me, period.
Old 08-04-23, 10:51 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Weird indeed.
I will know I am living in a nightmare if I ever find myself concerned about getting dropped by a fast group of cyclists, let alone actually working hard to avoid such a situation.

Makes no difference whether I am awake or dreaming. My bicycling pleasure comes from riding to destinations of my choice at a pace and that suits me, period.
I'm so happy for you.

(This snobbish anti-performance rabbit hole seems to be a hazard in pretty much every 50+ thread. Give it a rest, guys. )
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-04-23, 10:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts

Weird.
I suspect the dream was your interpretation of a common physiological event during deep sleep. Ask your wife if she's ever noticed it before.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-04-23, 10:57 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I suspect the dream was your interpretation of a common physiological event during deep sleep. Ask your wife if she's ever noticed it before.
Oh, that's interesting. I will ask her, but I think this was unusual.

There are times when I make noise during actual nightmares,(and she wakes me) but the heavy breathing was something different.
Old 08-04-23, 11:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Oh, that's interesting. I will ask her, but I think this was unusual.

There are times when I make noise during actual nightmares,(and she wakes me) but the heavy breathing was something different.
My wife notices me breathing very heavily, especially when I've been tired. It's normal. I have occasional episodes of sleep apnea, which sometimes wake me from a dream of being short of breath or even drowning.
Old 08-04-23, 12:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
I've definitely had dreams where I was cycling, but I don't recall ever waking up breathing hard.
Old 08-04-23, 01:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I'm so happy for you.

(This snobbish anti-performance rabbit hole seems to be a hazard in pretty much every 50+ thread. Give it a rest, guys. )
My estimate of rabbit holes on this list is a 95/5 ratio of thread topics related to increasing/maximizing individual performance (to include efficiency, fitness, OCD-like attention to recording and comparing performance data with strangers, restoring previous performance capabilities from youthful days past of competition, and last but not least "training" goals) to everything else, not counting look at my bike photos.
Old 08-04-23, 01:41 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
My estimate of rabbit holes on this list is a 95/5 ratio of thread topics related to increasing/maximizing individual performance (to include efficiency, fitness, OCD-like attention to recording and comparing performance data with strangers, restoring previous performance capabilities from youthful days past of competition, and last but not least "training" goals) to everything else, not counting look at my bike photos.
So, ILTB, I'm interested in what you would like us to discuss, instead of performance and similar issues, for that 5% or even for a larger percentage of topics? I too am not interested anymore in comparative performance. I'm much more interested in maintaining some level of fitness as I go through my '80s, which I know is going to be less than in the past, and continuously diminishing.
So, ILTB, what would be of interest to you for discussions on a 50 plus forum, if anything?

Last edited by gobicycling; 08-04-23 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 08-04-23, 02:07 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Lots of problems with deep sleep cycling. On the other hand, its cheaper than Zwift and, if you can get your virtual cycling out of the way while sleeping, sure does save time.
Joking of course. It sort of reminds me of the nightmare periods that i endured in the late teens/early twenties where I awoke sweating,sometimes sleepwalking. Hope you get through it
Old 08-04-23, 02:57 PM
MinnMan

Of course, it's all pretty hazy, but I didn't consider it a nightmare. It felt like (an imaginary) hard effort, but those can be good.

Getting dropped sucks, but fighting (and succeeding) not to be dropped is a good experience.
Old 08-04-23, 04:17 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Quantifiers gon’ quantify.
Old 08-04-23, 04:57 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Brain is really an incredible thing. I still remember flying over my neighbor hood as a kid...way before drones. If you are hyperventilating you may have sleep apnea.
Old 08-05-23, 05:55 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
No matter there cause, I gotta think laying in bed is probably the safest place to be if you pass out from hyperventilation.

I don't generally remember my dreams, but for me, it's a racing heart.
Old 08-05-23, 06:01 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
My biking dreams are like flying dreams. Effortless and fun.
Old 08-05-23, 07:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by gobicycling
So, ILTB, I'm interested in what you would like us to discuss, instead of performance and similar issues, for that 5% or even for a larger percentage of topics? I too am not interested anymore in comparative performance. I'm much more interested in maintaining some level of fitness as I go through my '80s, which I know is going to be less than in the past, and continuously diminishing.
So, ILTB, what would be of interest to you for discussions on a 50 plus forum, if anything?
It seems to me that most of the discussion about fitness on this list, as well as nutrition and other heath related topics on this list is as a means for maximizing cycling performance, or how to regain the cycling performance levels from back in the days of previous participation in competitive events or club rides. I have no objection if that is what most of the 50+ posters want to discuss. I was just pointing out that so many 50+ posts are about cycling performance goals metrics and methods to "improve" them dominate so many discussions. At least one poster apparently feels that it is snobbish to consider that there can be enjoyable cycling at the age of 50+ without being concerned about being "dropped."

Are there many or any posters on the 50+ list who enjoy riding their bicycle for local transportation and or recreational purposes and do not obsess over maximizing performance, set performance goals. or agonize over the need to "improve" their cycling performance, and are unconcerned about being "dropped" by other cyclists?

Ya know, shopping, commuting, visiting friends and relatives, enjoying the sights, nature and people along the way; just riding around without Strava, Power Meters or recording performance stats, without a need for recovery days, without a need for setting arbitrary performance goals (more speed, more miles), just enjoying bicycling at 50+ without making it a contest.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-05-23, 08:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I've definitely had dreams where I was cycling, but I don't recall ever waking up breathing hard.
+1
Actually I’ve found that as I get older (currently 55) I get less physical reaction from vivid dreams. In my teens and 20s I was prone to sleep walking and would sometimes wake up with a fright and racing heart. Nowadays I get little or no physical reaction from dreams, however exciting or scary.
Old 08-05-23, 08:59 AM
PeteHski

It seems to me that most of the discussion about fitness on this list, as well as nutrition and other heath related topics on this list is as a means for maximizing cycling performance, or how to regain the cycling performance levels from back in the days of previous participation in competitive events or club rides. I have no objection if that is what most of the 50+ posters want to discuss. I was just pointing out that so many 50+ posts are about cycling performance goals metrics and methods to "improve" them dominate so many discussions. At least one poster apparently feels that it is snobbish to consider that there can be enjoyable cycling at the age of 50+ without being concerned about being "dropped."

Are there many or any posters on the 50+ list who enjoy riding their bicycle for local transportation and or recreational purposes and do not obsess over maximizing performance, set performance goals. or agonize over the need to "improve" their cycling performance, and are unconcerned about being "dropped" by other cyclists?

Ya know, shopping, commuting, visiting friends and relatives, enjoying the sights, nature and people along the way; just riding around without Strava, Power Meters or recording performance stats, without a need for recovery days, without a need for setting arbitrary performance goals (more speed, more miles), just enjoying bicycling at 50+ without making it a contest.
This seems to be a major issue for you since you bring this same point up in pretty much every thread I’ve seen you comment. Are we not allowed to discuss fitness and performance simply because you are not interested? Is it even relevant to this particular thread?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-05-23, 10:46 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
✋ I ride my bikes for exercise as well as getting around. I also enjoy working on my bikes. I used to commute, but am now retired. I mostly ride alone, but got my figurative a** handed to me this morning on a group ride. I'm pretty sure everyone was 50+. That's okay. I knew that would happen. A couple group members were just back from Tour Divide and I wanted to say hi.

The nature of online forums is to foster communities. I doubt there are too many people interested in the ins and outs of riding to Home Depot or Whole Foods. That said, I suspect there might be a forum here on BF which is a better fit for people interested in bikes as transportation. The 50+ forum probably isn't it. As you've noticed, lots of folks in that demographic are still interested in performance. I think that's to be expected. Just because someone ages up and their basal metabolic rate is eroding doesn't mean they've lost all interest in performance.
Old 08-05-23, 11:37 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts

There are lots of us who just like to ride. Being considered a snob for occasionally pointing that out is a downside of Bike Forums, alright. There are a lot of buttheads here.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 08-05-23, 11:52 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Fredo76
There are lots of us who just like to ride. Being considered a snob for occasionally pointing that out is a downside of Bike Forums, alright. There are a lot of buttheads here.
He doesn’t just occasionally point it out. He literally brings up the same rant in pretty much every thread I’ve seen him post. Everyone likes to ride for multiple reasons, including fitness and performance. They are not even mutually exclusive reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.