Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Aren't we supposed to eat salad and lose weight in our 60's?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Aren't we supposed to eat salad and lose weight in our 60's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 07:06 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I'm just getting back home from a vacation in India. After trying the different lentils and whole grain flatbreads I can easily see myself eating less meat though there is a bit of a mitigating factor called "ghee" involved in the equation. But after finding a freezer full of rotten meat upon my return Im ready to move in that direction.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 08-15-23, 07:36 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
I'm just getting back home from a vacation in India. After trying the different lentils and whole grain flatbreads I can easily see myself eating less meat though there is a bit of a mitigating factor called "ghee" involved in the equation. But after finding a freezer full of rotten meat upon my return Im ready to move in that direction.
Dosa. mmm mmm good.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-15-23, 10:39 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
You may want to do some research on eating meat and eggs. My wife went on the carnivore diet recently to resolve some digestive issues and lost a ton of weight in the process. Carbs and processed foods cause weight gain, eating meat and healthy fats does not (unless you overeat, of course). Note that it's our preference to eat high quality meat and eggs, meaning meat from grass fed animals and eggs from free range chickens... Avoid meats full of chemicals and hormones, which is unfortunately most meat you can buy at the store.
My experience too. My MD told me I should limit daily caloric intake to around 1800. I really don't need more than that. My rides are short TT type rides about 3 X a week. I burn around 700-800 cals each ride. I'm not losing weight. I'm not gaining weight. But, at age 77 it's not really that important since I feel good and am healthy.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-15-23, 12:44 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
On a high meat protein diet the weight loss entails loss of both body fat AND body muscle. The percentage of body fat increases and the resting metabolic rate decreases as well. The meat also creates a lowering of the blood ph and to compensate the body leaches calcium from the bones to normalize the ph. Lowering of the bone density is not good for multiple reasons. Overall these high protein low carb diest are not healthy.

Reducing refined sugars and grains and alcohol while increasing plant foods is healthy in the long term. No bone or muscle mass loss with this approach. There is the old saying that you cannot run from your diet and it applies equally to bicyclists of all ages. Exercise is important for the health of the cardio vascular system and it burns calories and by increasing muscle mass it increases the resting metabolic rate.

People like simple solutions involving taking a pill or getting an injection over making changes to eating and exercise but they entail serious side effects that can last with some individuals for years. Doctors and other drug pushers will downplay the risks or ignore them entirely. Their patients lost weight and so what if they ended up in pain or dying much sooner, that is not part of their metrics.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-17-23, 03:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,565 Times in 7,334 Posts
^^This^^

Just look at the Ozempic weight loss craze. Tracy Morgan recently quipped that now he only eats half a bag of Doritos.
Old 08-18-23, 06:45 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Holy Cow!
I had to look up this Ozempic thing.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/o...r-weight-loss/
this reads like an add but I see how it can convince folks that they need not change any habits other than which pills/injections they take.

Last edited by Classtime; 08-18-23 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-20-23, 09:53 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by fat biker
https://www.booksfree.org/the-obesit...free-download/

Cliffs Notes version.
According to Dr. Fung it is not about exercise, fat, calories or some superfood.
It is about one thing.
Insulin.

I found the book to be an interesting read.
Intermittent fasting helped me lose the ten pounds I was beginning to think were mine for life.

One more thing.
Belly fat, especially for guys is bad news.

fat biker
^ This.
My grandfather was lean.
He loved hiking and biking.
In his late 70’s Alzheimer’s started.
Now some doctors think of Alzheimer’s as Diabetes of the brain.

His diet was always low fat. Right out of the 80’s. Even the margarine (f that! Real butter for me.)

Type 2 diabetes can just as accurately be called carb addiction.
Old 08-20-23, 10:04 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Grazing animals eat A LOT of food to get their protein and they have digestive systems optimized for that. It doesn't necessarily translate to humans and smaller mammal omnivores.

For example, if you have a 1,000 pound horse who is in light work, a good diet might consist of 17 pounds of hay or hay cubes and 3 pounds of grain per day. The same 1,000 pound horse in a heavy work program may need 10 pounds of hay and 10 pounds of grain, since the grain is higher in energy.

(So, for a human 1/6 the weight of a horse, that would be 1.5 pounds of "hay" and 1.5 pounds of "grain"/day. No thanks)

sure, you can get greater protein from nuts and such, but then the analogy to horses becomes pretty useless.
I wonder if pigs would be the closest analog to humans. Omnivores. Aren’t draft animals.

But hogs for slaughter only get 6 months old or so. So it’s unrealistic to get long term health outcomes. And how do you measure the diet of a wild boar?

I definitely wouldn’t consider the diet of a ruminant. Or an animal that re eats its own **** like a rabbit. It’s just too far removed from human habits and anatomy.
Old 08-20-23, 10:07 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
^^This^^

Just look at the Ozempic weight loss craze. Tracy Morgan recently quipped that now he only eats half a bag of Doritos.
He’s a comedian.

Joan Rivers told a reporter she was born with a coat hanger sticking out of her ear.

I hear methamphetamine is good for weight loss…
Old 08-21-23, 04:12 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Holy Cow!
I had to look up this Ozempic thing.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/o...r-weight-loss/
this reads like an add but I see how it can convince folks that they need not change any habits other than which pills/injections they take.
I'm diabetic and won't take that stuff... (or any diabetic stuff for that matter).

They sell the drug the same way to diabetics - take this stuff and you can eat crap you shouldn't be eating...
Likes For Jughed:
Old 08-21-23, 09:04 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz

I hear methamphetamine is good for tooth loss…
fify
Likes For big john:
Old 08-21-23, 12:02 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by big john
fify
If you lose your teeth you might eat less.

And you won’t have to brush no more.

Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-21-23, 07:25 PM
hevysrf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
65 years old, BMI 28, lost 20 lbs in the last 3 years by cutting way back on sugars and stopping alcohol. Daily rides can range from 6 to 30 miles, don't break 12 mph average. I want to drop more weight but finding it hard to outride the fork.
Today was good hard ride for me, but heavy carb intake before the ride, so it was probably a wash.