Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Magazine Recommend

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Magazine Recommend

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 05:52 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Magazine Recommend

Greetings All,

I just learned that Road Bike Action Magazine is no more, I had subscribed in the past and was prepared to start up again.
I had also subscribed to Bicycling Magazine, so I guess that is still an option.

So, please recommend a print bicycling magazine.

Thanks,
fat biker
Old 08-08-23, 09:34 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
I'm not a fan of most cycling mags. They are more about selling than really discussing things of interest to me.

This one rocks, however. And you get it free if you join Adventure Cycling ... and access to a lot of other nifty stuff.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/subscribe/magazine/

Likes For Biker395:
Old 08-08-23, 10:26 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I've subscribed to many, but currently none. tells ya something.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 08-09-23, 05:55 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I have subscribed to Bicycle Quarterly for the past 5 years and do enjoy reading the well written articles and the excellent photo images. If one is into short tours focused on back country gravel roads (I am not interested in that), expensive esoteric equipment (I am not) and articles written above an 8th grade comprehension level (I am into that!) then BQ is for you.
Truly is a great rag and is intelligently written. Although I'm not into equipment and gravel riding, I find the writing so well done it is impossible to not subscribe!

As for Bicycling magazine, if one enjoys 6th grade level writing and editing, paragraph length articles, and equipment, equipment, equipment, it is sure to please you.
Old 08-09-23, 07:26 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
They still sell magazines in print?
It's much easier to get them electronically and just store them on a thumb drive. Less clutter than storing stacks of magazines. More environmentally friendly, too, if you're into that sort of thing.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-10-23, 10:06 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts
have not had a magazine subscrip in decades

but when I did - Velo News was one of my favs
Old 08-23-23, 07:54 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I like Bicycle Quarterly as well. I used to subscribe to Road Bike action but when it changed formats 6 or so years ago, I dropped it. Bicycling is great for the first year you are back cycling. After that it's boring. My big disappointment this year was not being able to find a Tour de France special anywhere. I picked up a copy every June to read up on the tour stages before the roll-out. At one Barnes & Noble I was told they didn't have one this year and that a lot of people had been in asking about it.
Old 08-24-23, 05:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
My big disappointment this year was not being able to find a Tour de France special anywhere. I picked up a copy every June to read up on the tour stages before the roll-out. At one Barnes & Noble I was told they didn't have one this year and that a lot of people had been in asking about it.
Check if your local library allows you to borrow on-line magazines (as well as e-books and audio books) through the free app Libby. The official 2023 TDF guide is available at that site and can be downloaded to computer, phone or tablet.
Official Tour De France Race Guide Magazine
Old 08-24-23, 06:47 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
The only print cycling mag I get is Adventure Cycling, but I wouldn't subscribe if it didn't come with my AC membership. Most months I barely look at it. There just isn't usually much in it that I find all that interesting most issues.
Old 08-26-23, 11:12 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Bicycling is a newbie magazine. Lots of good information but after a couple years one notices that the information is being presented again in a slightly different form. It's a good mag, but limited by its nature. Worth it though, until one tires of it. I'm really sorry that Style Man is not longer there. He was my favorite feature.
Old 08-29-23, 04:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
“Cyclist” is not bad, with some interesting ride features (especially if you ride in Europe). But I don’t often bother with magazines, print or online. Magazine bike/gear reviews in particular are cringe. Adverts even more so.