Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Neighborhood Cruiser (to me)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 11:56 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts

My grandkids live in Louisiana and dragging my Salsa down for a week of riding in their neighborhood and on the Trace was a hassle.
I picked up this like new Fuji Crosstown 2.0 for $100 on Facebook. The lady said she rode it three times, and put it in her shed. There was barely a scratch on it.
I gave it a good cleaning and lube, new tubes and ditched the grandpa suspension seat (forks have to stay).
Should be good for bombing around the neighborhood and local bike trails with the kids.

Old 08-09-23, 04:07 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Great deal! Have fun on your new bike.
Old 08-09-23, 05:32 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
Looks good for what you'll use it for. Plenty of room for bigger tires on it when the current ones wear out (at least that would be my preference).
Likes For skidder:
Old 08-09-23, 05:44 AM
Warbird21

Originally Posted by skidder
Looks good for what you'll use it for. Plenty of room for bigger tires on it when the current ones wear out (at least that would be my preference).
Yes. Coincidentally, my wife has a Fuji Crosstown 2.3, with significantly wider rubber. The tires are eight years old, so they'll need replaced soon.
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 08-10-23, 11:16 AM
Warbird21

I could fit a 700x x 35 tire on this bike, right? (my wife's Fuji Crosstown 2.3 has that size)
Old 08-10-23, 07:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I am really going to miss the Tammany Trace. Moving to SC early next year. Very sad for that loss. I've been utilizing that trail for bikes and skates since it was only a few miles long between Abita Springs and Mandeville. I love that place. Rolled on it 1000+ times I bet.
Old 08-10-23, 08:28 PM
Warbird21

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I am really going to miss the Tammany Trace. Moving to SC early next year. Very sad for that loss. I've been utilizing that trail for bikes and skates since it was only a few miles long between Abita Springs and Mandeville. I love that place. Rolled on it 1000+ times I bet.
I'm used to the freedom and speed of the C&O Canal, so the Trace (near Covington) always feels too congested to me. But, riding the roads around Covington is too damn scary - no shoulders! We're eventually moving down there, but I will definitely miss the freedom to ride on endless wide country roads and jump on and off the towpath.
Old 08-11-23, 06:56 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Warbird21
I'm used to the freedom and speed of the C&O Canal, so the Trace (near Covington) always feels too congested to me. But, riding the roads around Covington is too damn scary - no shoulders! We're eventually moving down there, but I will definitely miss the freedom to ride on endless wide country roads and jump on and off the towpath.
Something you may not have considered; our best cycling weather is October through March when daylight hours are shortest. The rest of the year is hot, humid, hurricanes, and thunderstorms almost every afternoon. (Which is why we're leaving, along with the cost of insurance and property taxes)

There used to be club rides on the weekends on the Northshore and areas to the north of that. Saturday and Sunday mornings. Alot has changed over the past 20 years and population growth along with the size of motor vehicles has made riding up there unenjoyable for many.

You'll learn to love the Trace I am betting. Mindless relaxation. Especially weekdays.
Old 08-11-23, 07:05 AM
Warbird21

Thanks for the input!
With two grandchildren down there, the move is unavoidable!
I'll likely maintain a smaller residence here in Maryland, so that stretches my outdoor riding to 12 months!

If I head North, for more remote roads, are they more cycle friendly?

Something you may not have considered; our best cycling weather is October through March when daylight hours are shortest. The rest of the year is hot, humid, hurricanes, and thunderstorms almost every afternoon. (Which is why we're leaving, along with the cost of insurance and property taxes)

There used to be club rides on the weekends on the Northshore and areas to the north of that. Saturday and Sunday mornings. Alot has changed over the past 20 years and population growth along with the size of motor vehicles has made riding up there unenjoyable for many.

You'll learn to love the Trace I am betting. Mindless relaxation. Especially weekdays.
Old 08-11-23, 07:22 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I could fit a 700x x 35 tire on this bike, right? (my wife's Fuji Crosstown 2.3 has that size)
You should have no problems putting 700 x 35-38 on your Crosstown. Great find BTW.
Old 08-11-23, 09:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

If I head North, for more remote roads, are they more cycle friendly?
There are many pretty roads up to the Mississippi State Line but most have no shoulders, nobody else bikes on them, and porch dogs will definitely help you stay motivated to keep your speed up. If you have a thick skin to purposeful close passes, thrown objects, and dog bites you will love this place.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-11-23 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 07:14 AM
Warbird21

There are many pretty roads up to the Mississippi State Line but most have no shoulders, nobody else bikes on them, and porch dogs will definitely help you stay motivated to keep your speed up. If you have a thick skin to purposeful close passes, thrown objects, and dog bites you will love this place.
I was afraid of this....thanks for heads up. Since last chased by a pit bull in nearby WV, a few years I've lost the fire for that kind of adventure!
Unfortunately, where I live now, I might just have access to some of the best cycling roads/trails on the East coast.
Don't get me started on the heat they are experiencing now in LA.
Old 08-12-23, 08:25 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I was afraid of this....thanks for heads up. Since last chased by a pit bull in nearby WV, a few years I've lost the fire for that kind of adventure!
Unfortunately, where I live now, I might just have access to some of the best cycling roads/trails on the East coast.
Don't get me started on the heat they are experiencing now in LA.
Thirty years ago I enjoyed extensive bike touring in LA and Mississippi hitting all the campgrounds and State Parks. I used a product called "Doggie Dazzer" which is an electronic device that is uncomfortable for the dog's ears - no permanent damage. It can stop a dozen dogs at once. Uses a 9V battery. If you can find a bud to have some company and commiserate over the ignorant hayseeds you will encounter it might still be fun. There are some very pretty roads, spotted cows belly-deep in yellow wildflowers, flat to rolling hills, green most of the year, wildflowers bloom about 8 months a year (hope you aren't allergic) and MOST people are very sweet and kind. Generally in rural areas there are no fences and ALL of the dogs are loose. Most just look at you, very few will actually bite you but just want to run with you. Not sure I would want to brave all that alone anymore.

The Crescent City Cyclist touring bike club had 500 members and country rides on the Northshore were well attended with 20-100 riders Saturdays and Sundays. All ages and abilities. Roadies would blast off never to be seen again, I'd hang back and chat with the women when I was single Just checked their website and apparently they are defunct and have zero country rides scheduled at all. I believe for the same reasons I don't ride there anymore. Population growth in areas easily accessible to less than an hour drive from NOLA.

Learn to love the Tammany Trace somehow! It's 30 miles long, 60 round trip and looks different through the seasons. Explore Old Mandeville neighborhoods and grab a bite at many eateries along the Lakefront. Lather, rinse, repeat, etc.

Cheers
Old 08-12-23, 09:41 AM
Warbird21

I've chatted with some cyclists at Lakefront bars, the sheer amount of of people on that path is frightening. Great place to eat, but I don't believe I'd want to cycle there.
Joeybike, you have convinced me to not give up this residence/locale and stay here in the summer.