Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

From Road to Wall, What's Best?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 07:01 AM
backofthepack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doing some year end reflecting and realize that I haven't ridden my vintage Shogun once this year. As I am another year older I realize that I just don't need so many bikes hanging up in the garage, silently mocking me for not riding them. Since the value of the Samurai is pretty much nil, I don't want to go through the hassle of selling it on Ebay (Craigslist here in the middle of nowhere is not a viable option) and so I want to hang it from the rafters as a display piece of 1980's cycling history.

When turning a rider into a museum piece, is it best to degrease bearings, chain, etc. and hang it up? I use synthetic grease, if I leave it as is will synthetics turn to solid like conventional grease? What about the stem & seat post to prevent them from seizing up, anti-seize of some kind? Thank you for any helpful guidance anyone can send my way.
Old 11-27-13, 08:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,494 Posts
What model Samurai? I know several members here are looking for decent triple triangle frames. If it is clean, and your ready to let go you might be surprised by ebaying it.

If nothing is dripping from the bearings I would degrease the chain (or put a cheap new silver one on it) and let everything alone. No reason why it can't be in 'rideable storage"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-27-13, 04:14 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,494 Posts
OH this double posted, that is why my reply got lost in the shuffle.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-28-13, 09:52 AM
backofthepack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
What model Samurai? I know several members here are looking for decent triple triangle frames. If it is clean, and your ready to let go you might be surprised by ebaying it.

If nothing is dripping from the bearings I would degrease the chain (or put a cheap new silver one on it) and let everything alone. No reason why it can't be in 'rideable storage"
It's a 1987, Tange Infinity, all Shimano 105 6-speed, Biopace. When I got it used it was in immaculate condition, save for two scratches from the person not knowing how to pack a bike for shipping. I pulled off pretty much everything and ran it with a modern group so put back together, it will be all original except for tires & saddle (I have a old Vetta SL from that time so at least it will be period correct). When I looked on Ebay, it seemed like this might fetch $200 if I was lucky and then I'd have to pack it and risk the shipping process, that's why I just assume hang it as a conversation piece. Plus, maybe if I ever have grandkids, they can maybe make some money off of it in the year 2045!
Old 11-28-13, 09:53 AM
backofthepack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
OH this double posted, that is why my reply got lost in the shuffle.
Sorry about that, my computer locked up when I posted and I guess I hit the post button too many times.