Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Triple or quad tandem in Ireland?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 09:16 AM
wsa30h
tandem cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

does anyone own a triple or quad tandem in ireland ? if so please show pics of your bike and tell me your experiences with said bike. i own a tandem and a triple but was specifically looking for someone with a quad as i eventually plan to buy a ss coupled quad that breaks down into a triple or a tandem.
Old 07-30-23, 07:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
Do you know for certain that such a product exists? There are certainly quads and you could have them cut for couplers but I don't know of any that are sold that way. Certainly none that give you the option of also being a tandem or triple.
Old 07-31-23, 08:35 AM
wsa30h
tandem cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
they do exist santana, co motion rodriguess are the main ones and pedalpower de in germany is also another bike company that make such bikes.
Old 07-31-23, 12:26 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
I found the Pedal Power site and I see 'detachable' tandems. I see no triples or quads. But, even allowing for their existence, it is the quad converting to a triple or etc. that I question. Do you know that such a thing exists? If yes, buy it. There aren't going to be tons of people with experience to help you out. Sometimes you just have to take the leap of faith. Any of the companies (including Micargi) you've mentioned in this and other threads will make a reliable product that you can trust with your life and the lives of your passengers. The more expensive ones will be lighter, maybe a lot lighter. And generally more attractive. Not much more can be said.
Old 07-31-23, 03:20 PM
wsa30h
tandem cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you go to the classic steel section on pedalpower there are pictures of triplets and quad tandems there. yes a quad that converts a to a triple and a tandem does exist. it is my plan to buy one eventually. i wonder if anyone has any kind of triple or quad in ireland not necessarily one that breaks down with ss couplers. i was looking to eventually start up tandem clubs in ireland just for recreational cycling.
Old 08-28-23, 09:22 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wsa30h
does anyone own a triple or quad tandem in ireland ? if so please show pics of your bike and tell me your experiences with said bike. i own a tandem and a triple but was specifically looking for someone with a quad as i eventually plan to buy a ss coupled quad that breaks down into a triple or a tandem.
FYI, with most coupled triplets (like my Santana Cabrio) you can get an extra section made to turn it into a quad. Quads are hard to find used, so if you find a triple that you like don't necessarily rule it out as you can "extend" it.
Old 08-28-23, 10:16 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
I seem to recall discussions on the old T@H list loooong ago that triplets had greater handling challenges than tandems, and quads even more so, proportionately speaking (never mind quints). Also the need for components that can handle the added weight and power of additional riders.