Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hollywood HR200Z Bike Rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 06:17 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts

I need a shelf type hitch bike rack for two heavy bikes and this one is around $300. It looks good to me but is much cheaper than other choices I see online. Looking for comments on whether this rack is a solid and decent quality rack as the low price has me concerned.
Old 04-14-24, 07:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 2,689 Posts
Hollywood is not a rack I would recommend, they are cheap for a reason. The do tend to rust quickly and aren't as secure as I would like. Probably would hold your bike and better than Allen but not by a huge enough margin. If you want a good tray style rack for two bikes that is really easy to use and take on and off and move around I would highly recommend the Thule EasyFold XT as much as it is a pricier rack it is really nice and well supported and works really well. Plus the folding ramp helps with heavy bikes so you can roll them up rather than having to lift them and the ramp fits inside of the rack nicely so it is out of the way. Plus with two heavy bikes you can tilt the rack and open your trunk very easily.
Old 04-14-24, 10:05 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 5,679 Times in 2,931 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Hollywood is not a rack I would recommend, they are cheap for a reason. The do tend to rust quickly and aren't as secure as I would like. Probably would hold your bike and better than Allen but not by a huge enough margin. If you want a good tray style rack for two bikes that is really easy to use and take on and off and move around I would highly recommend the Thule EasyFold XT as much as it is a pricier rack it is really nice and well supported and works really well. Plus the folding ramp helps with heavy bikes so you can roll them up rather than having to lift them and the ramp fits inside of the rack nicely so it is out of the way. Plus with two heavy bikes you can tilt the rack and open your trunk very easily.
Thanks for posting the Thule. The local rack company suggested Hollywood as an option, but that could be because they are out of Thules or…. Mrs RSbob needs a rack with a ramp to load her 50 lb e-bike since she cannot lift it by herself and she wants to do more rides than in the immediate area. Sounds ideal except is mucho dinero.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-14-24, 07:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 2,689 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Thanks for posting the Thule. The local rack company suggested Hollywood as an option, but that could be because they are out of Thules or…. Mrs RSbob needs a rack with a ramp to load her 50 lb e-bike since she cannot lift it by herself and she wants to do more rides than in the immediate area. Sounds ideal except is mucho dinero.
The EasyFold is fantastic. Truly an excellent rack most of the folks who had racks at my previous shop all had EasyFolds and they probably would have upgraded to EPOS had our owner not passed and the business closed as a result.

Having installed so many of those racks over the years and showing people how to use it, it was always a joy showing people the rack and the excited look on their face. It just makes everything so easy literally.
Likes For veganbikes: