Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub - cup removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub - cup removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 03:47 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Hub - cup removal

How can I remove a pitted cup that is flush with the hub shell?

Old 04-05-23, 06:47 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
You probably cannot. On some it can be done with a punch from the opposite side of the hub.

Do you have a replacement available? If not, what is the point?

Last edited by Kontact; 04-05-23 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-05-23, 09:16 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
There's almost always a pocket behind the race. If so, removal only takes a bit of creative thinking.

Find a disc, ie. a dime with an OD larger than the race ID, yet small enough to fit into the pocket.

File 2 sides to make a racetrack oval, so it'll fit through the hole. Slide it in and let it flop behind the race spanning the hole.

Now punch it out from the opposite side.

OR

IF there's in fact a bit of room, but not a big pocket, to get behind the race, buy a toggle bolt wall anchor. Slide it in and let it expand behind the race, then drive it out.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-05-23 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-05-23, 01:21 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The pic doesn't make the cup look like it's in need of replacement.
look again.. look at the surface of the cup that the balls ride on.. look at that area at the left side of the cup, near the shadow... note the pitted groove?

yep, that cup needs replaced... badly.
Old 04-05-23, 01:29 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

aluminum has a far quicker expansion ratio than steel... HEAT the hub with a Heat gun( a blow dryer on high might suffice) then drive the cup out with a punch and large heavy hammer... i use a 2 lb. Body/Drilling hammer. Make certain the Hub is on a softer surface, but solidly backed(Wood works well!).. otherwise your hammering force gets changed into entire wheel/hub motion.

the real trick is getting the fresh Cup located squarely to the hub's Axis...Drive only on the upper lip of the cup or you may damage the fresh cup! Using a brass drift is also advised, but will not completely prevent damage to any seating surface contacted..... Careful depth measurement will help once the cup is mostly in place... manufacturers would use a properly shaped installation tool that sets depth from the lip of the hub....

Note: the TONE of your impacts will change once the cup reaches the "fully Seated"point.

the Aluminum hub WILL BE DAMAGED by any contact while installing the fresh cup... Be Aware, Be Careful,and Take your time.
If you get frustrated, set your tools down and walk away for a few minutes.....

Last edited by maddog34; 04-05-23 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 04-05-23, 03:24 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Originally Posted by Kontact
You probably cannot. On some it can be done with a punch from the opposite side of the hub.

Do you have a replacement available? If not, what is the point?
yeah i've done it with a punch a few times. Pretty sure I do have a replacement. I have a lot of wheels to scavange parts from. This one is a nice tricolour hub with a good rim, good spokes, so i want to save it.
Old 04-05-23, 03:25 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's almost always a pocket behind the race. If so, removal only takes a bit of creative thinking.

Find a disc, ie. a dime with an OD larger than the race ID, yet small enough to fit into the pocket.

File 2 sides to make a racetrack oval, so it'll fit through the hole. Slide it in and let it flop behind the race spanning the hole.

Now punch it out from the opposite side.

OR

IF there's in fact a bit of room, but not a big pocket, to get behind the race, buy a toggle bolt wall anchor. Slide it in and let it expand behind the race, then drive it out.
Thank you these are great ideas. Will investigate
Old 04-05-23, 04:45 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Another trick is to get a circlip slightly larger than the I.D. of the race's axle hole and compress and install in the gap. You can then use a drift or small socket to drive it out with the overlap of the circlip. If you are lucky enough to find a new race, before installing put it in the freezer for an hour and pour boiling water over the hub where the race fits. Expansion/Contraction thing helps the race slide in easier.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-06-23, 03:09 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Another trick is to get a circlip slightly larger than the I.D. of the race's axle hole and compress and install in the gap. You can then use a drift or small socket to drive it out with the overlap of the circlip. If you are lucky enough to find a new race, before installing put it in the freezer for an hour and pour boiling water over the hub where the race fits. Expansion/Contraction thing helps the race slide in easier.
AKA:"A SWEAT FIT" since the rapid temp. change during install causes condensation to collect on the part that warms up from a cold temperature... i use a toaster oven to heat the hub, 200-250* is good.. use leather gloves.... don't tell your wife about this... M/C engine cases leave a distinct petrochemical odor when heated in the Stove's Oven.... Guess who gets told to clean the oven.

Last edited by maddog34; 04-06-23 at 03:12 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 04-07-23, 10:19 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
HF had this tool set that I used to overhaul the bearings in an air wrench. Couldn't find it on a search

The ends are split into four sections that expand when the screw is turned. Then hammer out.
Old 04-07-23, 03:05 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If that is a shimano hub you are wasting time trying to remove the race. I have done it, but there is no replacement part from shimano. They did not want the race replaceable.
To my limited knowledge Campi was the only cup and cone manufacturer who had a replaceable inner race and made the parts.
Old 04-08-23, 05:15 AM
gearbasher

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 386 Posts
I bought a cheap "blind bearing" puller like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/KELEN-Bearing...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I used it to remove cups from Campy hubs. As stated previously, heat the shell first and a couple shots with the puller and they pop right out.