Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 11:22 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I missed the break again. Probably couldn't have hung on though. It was early and too many guys and I lost track of Gavin (strong guy that won solo last week). I made both field splits though. When Fudgy went, we had him on a short leash for a while, but then the pace dropped when guys started waiting for the sprint, and he stayed away as well.

Field sprint, I led out my teammate, but Matt got the jump from behind and won the sprint. Hit 33.5 mph in the headwind leadout.
I think your team mate should start leading you out instead - if it's the same guy as two weeks ago, he sits up when you do, doesn't start sprinting..

my race videos
Old 01-25-16, 11:33 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I think your team mate should start leading you out instead - if it's the same guy as two weeks ago, he sits up when you do, doesn't start sprinting..
Different guy. Stelios is cat 1 on track, figured he'd have a good sprint. But yeah, Idk what was up with him not jumping right away. Even after you jumped it seemed like he waited. I think he thought it was too far. I thought it was pretty damn close.
Old 01-25-16, 11:37 AM
mattm
**** that

Gotcha. At any rate, have those guys lead you out next time!

my race videos
Old 01-30-16, 08:22 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cal Aggie 35+ 123

Team takes 1st, 5th, 6th and I was the loser at 10-14th ish.

This is really not my course with a chicane-y deal about 40 seconds from the line, but I raced for the first time with my new team and it was good. There was a crash that necessitated a re-start with 40:00 on the clock. About 30 remaining and a group of 4 gets off. I move up, but my teammate is up there. I see a guy jump on my left, start to go with and see my other teammate on the wheel. Same thing a few minutes later on the right. Finally I get my turn and make it across in the last move to do so. Race of 50-60 is down to a selection of 15 or so.

When I get to the split, I see two up the road and my teammate is one of them. I go into patrolman mode and just sit-in and cover bridge attempts. I told the other 2 guys that I would cover moves and they should save it for the sprint. The two up the road stay clear and my teammate won. I covered a particularly hard move with about 2/3 of a lap remaining and we got to the chicane with about 1s gap, but the wheel I was on sat up coming out of the corners and the remaining split guys all motored past me as well. We took 3rd/4th of the field sprint and I crossed in the detritus of the split.

Super fun to be probably the 4th-best guy on a squad of 4 for a race. I got to flex and chase people down a bit, but really had no pressure for a result as everyone turns into he-man relative to me in the final 40 seconds. I avoided the crash, our team won, our rival team did not win, and they gave me a cake for my birthday too. Good vibes.
Old 01-30-16, 08:27 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^I watched, but didn't race. The tire blowing in the crash was insanely loud and hopefully the rider ambulanced out is ok. The 35+ race was the most active race of the day. So much good action and congrats to your team.
Old 01-30-16, 11:46 PM
mattm
**** that

Cal Aggie crit p/1/2/3 - 5th.

A scary combo of sketchy juniors, sketchy cat 3's, sketchy collegiate kids, and sketchy masters racers.

Decent field (60-70?), but no big team representation, so we more or less just rode around for 60 minutes trying not to get crashed out.

Last corner a tired masters guy that was otf had blown up and was going backwards getting swarmed - I had to go wide around him, losing like 5 wheels in the process (from like 5th wheel to 10th or so). Made up a lot of ground in the sprint, but not enough runway to finish it.

Shoulda/woulda/coulda, so it goes. I feel like I got last out of the fast guys! Damn.

my race videos
Old 01-31-16, 12:50 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I feel like I got last out of the fast guys! Damn.
Total first world problem. But you have my deepest sympathies.

And Happy Birthday @Ygduf. Surely you must be a Master by now?!
Old 01-31-16, 12:54 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cal Aggie crit p/1/2/3 - 5th.

A scary combo of sketchy juniors, sketchy cat 3's, sketchy collegiate kids, and sketchy masters racers.

Decent field (60-70?), but no big team representation, so we more or less just rode around for 60 minutes trying not to get crashed out.

Last corner a tired masters guy that was otf had blown up and was going backwards getting swarmed - I had to go wide around him, losing like 5 wheels in the process (from like 5th wheel to 10th or so). Made up a lot of ground in the sprint, but not enough runway to finish it.

Shoulda/woulda/coulda, so it goes. I feel like I got last out of the fast guys! Damn.
that's a good result though!
Old 01-31-16, 04:27 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oracle RR Masters 4/5:

First race for me this year. I went in not expecting much as my training has not been as solid as it usually has with life stuff happening. (~75 CTL, down from 105 this summer!)

They started us with the collegiate field, so about 55 starters. Two laps with the selection occurring at a 10 mile climb with some severe kickers. We get to the climb and I go to the front and pick up the pace substantially and a collegiate joins me. Within 5 minutes, there are 6 of us. That collegiate (a pro mtn biker I found out) and the eventual winner from my field (a 5'6" twig) are climbing such that I am putting out ~380 W. I will not hold that so I ease off and join the other collegiate guys that have a solid pace I can hold. The wind is at our face up the climb and getting stronger. We push a good pace over the top and through the decent (I topped out at 50.4 mph.) Second time at the climb and clearly I have 2nd place in the bag. I work with the others, or rather they are doing most of the work, but the wind is now howling at us. With 6 miles to go, I am cramping up and down my legs. I managed to cling on and roll through the finish for 2nd.

One more solid result will get me an upgrade. It has taken time, but not many races (~12), as I am not racing crits these days. A great start to the season.
Old 01-31-16, 05:03 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
Oracle RR Masters 4/5:

First race for me this year. I went in not expecting much as my training has not been as solid as it usually has with life stuff happening. (~75 CTL, down from 105 this summer!)

They started us with the collegiate field, so about 55 starters. Two laps with the selection occurring at a 10 mile climb with some severe kickers. We get to the climb and I go to the front and pick up the pace substantially and a collegiate joins me. Within 5 minutes, there are 6 of us. That collegiate (a pro mtn biker I found out) and the eventual winner from my field (a 5'6" twig) are climbing such that I am putting out ~380 W. I will not hold that so I ease off and join the other collegiate guys that have a solid pace I can hold. The wind is at our face up the climb and getting stronger. We push a good pace over the top and through the decent (I topped out at 50.4 mph.) Second time at the climb and clearly I have 2nd place in the bag. I work with the others, or rather they are doing most of the work, but the wind is now howling at us. With 6 miles to go, I am cramping up and down my legs. I managed to cling on and roll through the finish for 2nd.

One more solid result will get me an upgrade. It has taken time, but not many races (~12), as I am not racing crits these days. A great start to the season.
Nice work! I saw a finish line video of your race on ClippedIn :-)
Old 01-31-16, 06:02 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Nice work! I saw a finish line video of your race on ClippedIn :-)
On FB?
Old 01-31-16, 06:52 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
On FB?
on twitter. it may have been the open 4/5 race though not masters. I had some teammates in the open 4/5.
Old 01-31-16, 08:34 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Early Bird Crit #5

I won.
@mattm and @aaronmcd were there. Matt's team (my old team) had 5 guys and I know they don't like to work so when one of them jumped at the gun I went with him so the rest of his team could jam up the pack. Thankfully Matt himself made it across so his teammate could crack out of the break and we were 4 with 25 seconds about 5 minutes into the race. At 12 or 13 minutes the gap was 45 seconds and then the gap was 2 minutes where it stayed. We lapped some stragglers blown off the pack and overall it was just kind an uncomfortable pace. The wind was killer for half the course and I made sure to leave just not-quite-enough-room most of the time because I wanted to win.

I asked Matt if he was going to let me win and he said "maybe" and asked what I needed (suggested a leadout, lol, as if I could hold his wheel as he leads me out) and I just said to make the other guys chase me. I jumped with 2 to go at the headwind and the strong Jr with us almost got me but when he flicked Matt through help was not forthcoming and I got pretty well clear to solo in for the win. Matt beat the kid in the sprint for 2nd and we finally went 1-2 in one of these dumb un-scored races.

It was good fun. Power was good today. Full break - 58:40 AP/NP 340/350. First 10 minutes 360/380 and the final 7 minutes solo was 375/385.
Old 01-31-16, 10:54 PM
mattm
**** that

@Ygduf I of course would have liked to win, but you did so much more work in the break so you earned it! Plus you're a pretty nice guy.

The jr I was with at the end was funny - he went up on the sidewalk to try to get away from me in the final sprint! It didn't work though..

262 AP/292 NP for the 1 hour race, more than usual for me.

That wind though, holy ****.

my race videos
Old 01-31-16, 11:59 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Yesterday circuit races.
Cat 2/3: 50 minutes, 111% NP
Teammate was out solo for a while, then 3 bridged up. The rest of us weren't chasing but teammate wasn't gonna win. I attacked and went the last 20 minutes in no man's land for 5th, teammate 4th.

Cat 3/4: 47 minutes, 105% NP
I wanted this one, but too many guys to chase things down. Teammates went out on early breaks, I let others chase. Finally in the final lap and a half I tried hard to get away several times but they were onto me. No one else wanted the win, so last attempt was to lead me out but I had just done 10 minutes at 118% and just fizzled out at the hill sprint.

Cat 1/2/3: 11 minutes, only 105%
I predicted getting dropped in 10 minutes, but a big attack dropped me from the small field (9 of us) after 2.5 minutes. Chased hard another lap and a half, then called it quits.

Today, early bird crit 1/2/3
Was feeling better, but not fully recovered. Watched matt and Fudgy go at the start, and it was so windy I was sure they would stay away but my legs were in no shape for an hour break in the wind so I sat in and closed gaps until the main pack was down from 35ish to 10 or so. Then I cracked hard. Dropped to endurance/tempo and got lapped by the break, but finished.

Only 99% NP when I cracked after 43 minutes, and there was no good reason other than insane fatigue really. Ready to rest up tomorrow!

And congrats on the 1/2 placing Fudgy and mattm! And RB on the 2nd place finish! Nice way to start a season.
Old 02-06-16, 08:23 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mcdowell Mountain circuit race. 1.5 mile circuit loop in the desert with a nice 0.5 mile climb. I raced 3 times.

I won the master womens race, pretty much solo after the first lap. Then I did the men's 30+ which was a lot of fun. One team had huge numbers and it was pretty fast/hard until they got 2 riders in the break then it calmed down. I sat in and finished 13/26 ish. Final race was women P12, got in a break with one other rider after 3rd lap. Legs were tired but I won. Great day.
I'm planning to race a crit tomorrow but it's more technical and flat so I went all out today, knowing this course was more suited to me.
Old 02-06-16, 08:38 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
damn. awesome.
Old 02-06-16, 08:56 PM
mattm
**** that

Mcdowell Mountain circuit race. 1.5 mile circuit loop in the desert with a nice 0.5 mile climb. I raced 3 times.

I won the master womens race, pretty much solo after the first lap. Then I did the men's 30+ which was a lot of fun. One team had huge numbers and it was pretty fast/hard until they got 2 riders in the break then it calmed down. I sat in and finished 13/26 ish. Final race was women P12, got in a break with one other rider after 3rd lap. Legs were tired but I won. Great day.
I'm planning to race a crit tomorrow but it's more technical and flat so I went all out today, knowing this course was more suited to me.
rad!!

my race videos
Old 02-06-16, 09:02 PM
bobbyl1966

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe this question not fit here but i feel i ask. How i can found what sizes chain rings and cassettes sizes use in races.
Old 02-06-16, 09:29 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@rideaz Yowza.
Old 02-07-16, 06:32 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 02-07-16, 06:44 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

#EpicWinning Amazing job!!
Old 02-07-16, 08:26 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Q: I am totaling up my points and I have a 2nd out of 8 starters on a mass start HC which was 20 miles. Will this count as a criterium for 2 points?
Old 02-07-16, 08:57 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@rideaz phenom! I am certain you have the highest winning percentage of anybody here by a long shot. Do you know what your lifetime win % is?
Old 02-07-16, 09:31 AM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
@rideaz phenom! I am certain you have the highest winning percentage of anybody here by a long shot. Do you know what your lifetime win % is?
ha thanks! No idea, my lifetime of racing is only 2 or 3 seasons so my winning % is still pretty good TBH I'm not that concerned with winning, I just like a challenge. I do men's races and will never win but it's fun. This season is nice because I'm not looking for upgrade points any more. I have a teammate who is and will work with her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.