Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a replacement Tear Shaped Washer for Cinelli XA Stem.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 04:46 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Any idea who might sell this little item, as I have called Cinelli Dristributor in NM. No return calls, or e-mails.

Photo above show black washer that is compress by HEX Nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
f_cinelli_xa_stem.jpg (12.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-02-15, 07:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It seems like you could either:
1 do without it
or
2 fabricate one from rubber, felt or gasket material fairly easily.
Old 08-02-15, 07:29 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,405 Times in 1,206 Posts
Try Wayne Bingham at Velo Classique in VA. Guy has an amazing assortment of replacement Cinelli parts.
Note- they are closed on Sunday and Monday.
Did you know that those wedges come in different colors?
Old 08-02-15, 08:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
It's just cosmetic trim. Find some pliable plastic or rubber and cut out your own. Of use silicone bathtub caulk and fill the gap while it's a bit loose, wipe it flush and let it cure, then tighten the bolt to compress it and make it bulge out the sides a bit.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-02-15, 09:53 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rccardr
Try Wayne Bingham at Velo Classique in VA. Guy has an amazing assortment of replacement Cinelli parts.
Note- they are closed on Sunday and Monday.
Did you know that those wedges come in different colors?

I will contact them.
Old 08-03-15, 12:01 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Cinelli XA Stem spacer | eBay
Old 08-03-15, 10:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
make one out of rubber, plastic or leather.
Old 08-03-15, 11:36 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
$15 to ship?

Kiss my what..?
Old 08-03-15, 11:42 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by rmfnla
$15 to ship?

Kiss my what..?
Overseas postage ain't cheap (except from China). It varies by country with the country it's coming from setting prices. I'm not at all surprised to see $15.00 from the Netherlands. By comparison, it costs me $6.50 to send a 1oz. packet to Europe or Asia, and $12.50 for 8oz. That's without insurance or positive tracking (though some countries send back confirmation of delivery). Because ebay rules don't consider proof of shipping adequate, and leave sellers responsible unless they can prove delivery, many insist on using a premium service or insuring.

So, I agree that $15.00 to ship a $3.00 item is nuts, it's not anybody's fault, it's just the way it is.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 08-03-15, 02:02 PM
lavielemond 
LeMondster

Bikes: LOOK 695 SR Mondrian, LOOK 595 Pro Team, LOOK KG86 (retail & LVC versions), LOOK LVC Hinault 753R, ADR-Agrigel TVT92/Bottecchia SLX/Bottecchia Columbus AIR TT, LEMOND "Z" TVT92 & "Z" TSX, LOOK KG486 SL, LOOK 566, LOOK KG76 Hinault, Telekom TVT92 AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey "ManShow"...how did you go with your search for a rubber XA insert? I'm in Australia but I have a number of these inserts in an array of colours (they came with each new XA stem in a range of 5 colours - black, white, blue, red & yellow) & with small parts (like the Dura-Ace 7400 crank dust caps, Cinelli 1R winged logo plastic inserts & a few other small, lightweight items that I've just sold upon eBay over the past couple of days), I send them via registered letter with tracking (which satisfies eBay's requirements) for $5 $AU (= $3.65 $US) to any country in the northern hemisphere. So just let me know if I can help in any way. And btw, I have tried using the XA stem without these inserts, purely as a test re: whether they are required & my test results told me, at least, that yes they are required! Cheers & best wishes from "Down Under"...Matt.
Old 08-03-15, 04:02 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Overseas postage ain't cheap (except from China). It varies by country with the country it's coming from setting prices. I'm not at all surprised to see $15.00 from the Netherlands. By comparison, it costs me $6.50 to send a 1oz. packet to Europe or Asia, and $12.50 for 8oz. That's without insurance or positive tracking (though some countries send back confirmation of delivery). Because ebay rules don't consider proof of shipping adequate, and leave sellers responsible unless they can prove delivery, many insist on using a premium service or insuring.

So, I agree that $15.00 to ship a $3.00 item is nuts, it's not anybody's fault, it's just the way it is.
Except that thing could be taped to a piece of paper and sent as a letter for about three bucks...
Old 08-03-15, 04:12 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Except that thing could be taped to a piece of paper and sent as a letter for about three bucks...
Yes, but that doesn't meet ebay's standard of proof. I don't know how paranoid I'd feel about someone lying and claiming he never got a $3.50 item, but I have fallen victim to ebay's rules when mailing stuff without verifiable tracking and insurance.

IMO this is an ebay rules issue. Some years back, proof of shipment was all that was needed, and buyers who want, could pay extra for insurance. Then in a bid to make ebay more buyer friendly, they shifted to proof of delivery, and made loss in transit or any non-delivery the sellers problem. That made selling overseas more risky and expensive, and I ended up blacklisting many countries over it.

I suspect that the seller here is not so subtly hinting that he's happy to do business in Europe, and if any from the USA want the item, they may have it but he's not looking for that business.

In any case, that's the deal on the table, and anyone is free to take it or leave it.

Old 08-03-15, 04:13 PM
rmfnla

All good points...
Old 08-03-15, 05:27 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
$15 IS nuts for shipping. That's why you should scroll down the page to find the $4.99 deal with free shipping. New Old Stock Cinelli XA Rubber Stem Clamp Insert Washer Blue Perfect | eBay (various colors available) Sheesh, C'mon now. A flick of the finger could have found this.
Old 08-03-15, 11:21 PM
lavielemond 
LeMondster

Bikes: LOOK 695 SR Mondrian, LOOK 595 Pro Team, LOOK KG86 (retail & LVC versions), LOOK LVC Hinault 753R, ADR-Agrigel TVT92/Bottecchia SLX/Bottecchia Columbus AIR TT, LEMOND "Z" TVT92 & "Z" TSX, LOOK KG486 SL, LOOK 566, LOOK KG76 Hinault, Telekom TVT92 AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
$15 IS nuts for shipping. That's why you should scroll down the page to find the $4.99 deal with free shipping. New Old Stock Cinelli XA Rubber Stem Clamp Insert Washer Blue Perfect | eBay (various colors available) Sheesh, C'mon now. A flick of the finger could have found this.
Spot-on, "Mr Crank"...I can't speak for shipping costs in the States (although I'm far more well-versed re: US shipping costs than most Aussies after close to a thousand eBay purchases from US sellers on eBay over the past 6 1/2 years) but down here, I can just send or ship such things as these aforementioned XA rubber inserts (& the 7400 series crankset dust caps & Cinelli 1R stem winged logo plastic inserts that I've just sold upon eBay over the previous couple of days) within an envelope as a large letter & simply add $2.90 ($AU) to have the postage registered, which includes tracking...charging $15 is either awfully greedy or purely lazy on the seller's behalf, preferring to cover his/her ar$e in case it is expensive, rather than performing a quick internet search upon the USPS website to discover his/her postage/shipping options.

That's how I was able to offer the XA insert to the OP for about $5 if he wanted one, which was simply to cover my shipping costs for it to him in the US & charging nothing for the insert itself.

Cheers & best wishes to all from "Down Under"...hope you're all enjoying your summer 'up there', 'cause it's rather cold, wet & windy down here in Melbourne at present!! Can't bloody wait until it's our turn for some summer lovin' & quality cycling weather again...

Matt.
Old 09-04-15, 06:49 PM
lavielemond 
LeMondster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheManShow
Any idea who might sell this little item, as I have called Cinelli Dristributor in NM. No return calls, or e-mails.

Photo above show black washer that is compress by HEX Nut.

Hey TMS...I'm just wondering how you fared in the end re: your search for the rubber insert for your XA stem? Seeing as though I offered you one for $5 from Australia & never heard back from you, I'm guessing that you found one in the end? I just landed another 5 of them in myriad colours, as I purchased yet another NOS XA stem that came with another bag of them, & that in turn reminded me of this forum topic...

Oh, & don't mention it re: my offer! It's my pleasure...oh yeah, that's right, you didn't "mention it"! Ah well, thankfully there are still plenty of appreciative people out there within the worldwide cycling community...