Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do I Have the Right Rear Derailleur?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do I Have the Right Rear Derailleur?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 02:37 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Does that second, incorrect protrusion/stop on the RD do anything except confuse people?
I didn't notice or have second thoughts when I had to replace my DA 9100 with an Ultegra R8000 after a minivan rear-ended me. It just fit and looked right. Different hanger? Now I need to dig up my R8000 to see if my version had it (replaced it with Sensah Empire Pro and set aside the bike for trainer duty).
Old 04-19-24, 02:46 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 279 Posts
The OP was the one that f'ed up by installing it wrong.

Members here can't see the bike, all we can do is guess at best to bad photos.

If they don't like the suggestions that might fix their f-up, they can just bring their bike to a LBS, which is encouraged and not bad advice.

Do you know how many smart folks ask for advice on the internet on why their car won't start, when all they needed was to put GAS in it? It's not up to forum members to figure that out for them.
Old 04-19-24, 02:47 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
👍 Should have checked first. My last cassette purchases were of the 5800 & 6800 vintage back in 2018.
Old 04-19-24, 03:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5858 Post(s)
Liked 2,699 Times in 1,507 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
The number of ridiculous responses from people who have no clue but weigh in regardless was amazing. Great you were able to fix it as well as filter out the garbage.
It's easy to criticize other people's suggestions from the safe position of having offered nothing at all.

I don't speak for others, but I'll consider the source before taking it to heart.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-19-24, 04:26 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 755 Posts
I've learned to always read the setup instructions for any new groupset I encounter. Things have changed quite a bit since even 10 years ago when mounting F & R derailleurs was mostly the same procedure with only a couple little idiosyncrasies as compared to now with something like the OP's mounting issue. All mfrs publish instructions that can be easily found on the net if not included with the component. Even mounting the shifter cable on the wrong side of the clamp bolt is still a pretty common mistake so check out the instructions first.
Old 04-19-24, 04:37 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 279 Posts
I've learned to always NOT to install a RD incorrectly, then blame everyone else for being clueless.
Old 04-19-24, 04:51 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
The OP was the one that f'ed up by installing it wrong.

Members here can't see the bike, all we can do is guess at best to bad photos.

If they don't like the suggestions that might fix their f-up, they can just bring their bike to a LBS, which is encouraged and not bad advice.

Do you know how many smart folks ask for advice on the internet on why their car won't start, when all they needed was to put GAS in it? It's not up to forum members to figure that out for them.
The photos showed perfectly that the derailleur was not mounted correctly. The problem was all the respondents offering an opinion about a derailleur GENERATION that they apparently know nothing about.

Which is pretty damn typical.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-19-24, 05:18 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,801 Posts
Thing looks like it has at least one too many pivots and a superfluous lug, so yeah, I wouldn’t know where to start!
Old 04-19-24, 07:58 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 470 Posts
Do you know how many smart folks ask for advice on the internet on why their car won't start, when all they needed was to put GAS in it?
I'd guess it's proportionally about the same number, percentage-wise, as the number who claim that a too-large rear sprocket is the problem without bothering to check the RD's published specifications.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-R8000-SS.html
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 04-19-24, 09:47 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,079 Posts
The 11-30 is messing it up with a chain too long because that is expecting a 1x up there.

You'd be able to remove one link with a smaller 11-28T, thus taughting the chain when it's on the 11T.

There exists aftermarket bolt-on dropouts that let's you place a RD even lower.
Where did you get this from?
Old 04-20-24, 05:58 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 431 Posts
The 11-30 is messing it up with a chain too long because that is expecting a 1x up there.

You'd be able to remove one link with a smaller 11-28T, thus taughting the chain when it's on the 11T.

There exists aftermarket bolt-on dropouts that let's you place a RD even lower.
In addition to the first sentence being incorrect, a hanger extender (assuming that’s what is meant by “aftermarket bolt-on dropout) will not change the chain wrap capacity of the derailleur.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-20-24, 04:00 PM
jgf310

Bikes: Roubaix and StumpJumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've learned to always NOT to install a RD incorrectly, then blame everyone else for being clueless.
who did i blame...?

I've rebuilt this bike 3 or 4 times with new components - this last time i screwed up something I didn't know it was possible to screw up.

as i said - i thought when i put t on that it looked odd, but I didn't see the mistake.

so the lesson is that if you think something looks weird and can't figure out why.., keep looking.
Likes For jgf310:
Old 04-20-24, 04:06 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 327 Posts
Glad it got worked out. The only thing I would have contributed was that I've ran 32t cassettes with short cage derailleurs so that couldn't have been the problem.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-22-24, 01:14 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by jgf310
who did i blame...?
I can't figure that out either! You were nothing short of respectful to all of us, right or wrong.

And good eye from KCT1986 !
Old 04-22-24, 06:08 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 422 Posts
Everyone who has installed their own parts has had issues of some kind or other. I’ve done a number of boneheaded things in my time, and, according to my wife, will probably do many more.
Old 04-22-24, 06:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked 3,009 Times in 1,711 Posts
who did i blame...?

I've rebuilt this bike 3 or 4 times with new components - this last time i screwed up something I didn't know it was possible to screw up.

as i said - i thought when i put t on that it looked odd, but I didn't see the mistake.

so the lesson is that if you think something looks weird and can't figure out why.., keep looking.
You weren't accused of blaming anyone - the remark you responded to was part of the bickering side-conversation.
Old 04-22-24, 06:47 AM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
11-30T is practically a mtb cassette.
It's a normal road cassette, the same as Ultegra 11-32, and on 12s 11-34 ....
105/Ultegra rear mech with medium cage works well with 11-32 cassette as well, just avoid maximum cross chain (Di2 will block it for you - small/small - so no full slack situation and risk of dropped chain, however big/big is allowed (as an emergency I guess, or if you miss gears) )

(MTBs cassettes are from 42 up now )

Last edited by razorjack; 04-24-24 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 12:19 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
You weren't accused of blaming anyone - the remark you responded to was part of the bickering side-conversation.
The wording made it seem like it was against the OP.

The OP was the one that f'ed up by installing it wrong... If they don't like the suggestions that might fix their f-up, they can just bring their bike to a LBS, which is encouraged and not bad advice.

Old 04-22-24, 12:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,826 Posts
the cage is still pretty horizontal in big/big, which causes resistance
I've gotten that derailleur to tolerate an 11-36T cassette, with the B-screw screwed in almost all the way.

The Big-Big chainring combination is best avoided. Ideally, you want to be able to shift into it so that if you do it by accident, it won't rip your drivetrain apart.

My wife seems to have a perverse need to ride in that combo. But normal people don't need to, since the gear ratio can be replicated elsewhere.

Hers is a Di2 system. Interestingly, it doesn't prevent the big/big combo by default, but it does prevent the user from shifting into the small/small combo, presumably to avoid slack.

Here is the best way to size the chain: https://bettershifting.com/installat...and-direction/