Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Peugeot carbolite 103 / 1986 Raleigh grand prix

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 12:12 PM
The Trashman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I am not necessarily looking for values for these, but more just opinions if these look any good.
This Peugeot has been up for a while at $30, I know the frame material isn't that popular, but I want a Peugeot because I'm partial to their color schemes and logos honestly.
I think it would clean up if the bottom bracket is just dirty, but I can't get any information about the frame size from the seller. My road bike is a 21" from center of the bottom bracket to top of the seat tube and 21" from the head tube to the seat tube. I could get away with 21" frames, but the top tube length is more important, since I have Bianchi that is a 21" frame, but a 19" top tube, which is way to small for me.
The other one is a 1986 or 7 raleigh grand prix, and has been up for probably a month or two at $60 and looks like it needs a fair bit more work, but is a 700c wheels I think, the ad says both 27" and 700c for some reason,and has forged dropouts, which would make any potential plans I have a bit easier if I want to switch up the drive train or tires. But the bottle cage being taped on leads me to think it might have stripped cage screws, and with that suspension seat post, I'd be worried about it using the wrong seat post for the frame, and maybe just clamped down on a smaller tube.
I can't get the sellers to tell me the sizes and either one is a bit out of the way so I'm stuck. I have not ridden a 54 or 56 cm frame, but with my height, I think either should be fine as long as the top tube is 21" or a bit longer. Does the Peugeot look at be at least a 54cm? The Raleigh looks bigger but I can't tell if it would be too large. I know just looking at pictures isn't a good way to judge size, but it's worth a try.

Old 10-01-21, 12:28 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

by eye the Peugeot certainly appears to be ~21" nominal (~53-54cm)

at 30$ you should snap it up instantly

we do not get any drive side images from seller but it appears to be wearing a Stronglight model TS chainset

a plus from both a practical and collector standpoint that it is lugged

when i read "carbolite 103" in the header was expecting one of inexternal constructed models

---

from a collector/enthusiast perspective the Raleigh is not of much interest since it is a Raleigh USA machine produced in Asia

also the frame appears to be 23" nominal (~58cm) - too large for someone who is a good fit on a 21" frame cycle

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-01-21 at 12:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-01-21, 01:00 PM
The Trashman

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
In the case of the Raleigh I would just be looking at it for a nicer user than the one I currently have since my Zebrakenko is very basic and leaves some to be desired. I don't really know much about the geometry and how it varies, but I wouldn't say the 21" fits me very well, at 5'10", I think a little bit bigger would be okay, if it was 58 cm I'd just have the saddle a few inches lower, but I definitely think it'd be a bit too encroaching down south with the increased stand over height, 54 or 56 cm sounds ideal, but from my looking it seems most frames are bigger or smaller than that range.

What age or model might be the Peugeot be? I've not read very deep in specifics, but I've seen the older ones are cottered cranks and use the non standard bottom bracket threading until they switched sometime in the 80's.
Old 10-01-21, 03:49 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

if you are of typical proportions a height of 5' 10'' would work out to an ideal size of 57-58cm c-t-c

so the Raleigh might be a reasonable size for you after all

---

in case you would like to research the model and year of the Peugeot there are two resources here for back catalogues/brochures from this maker -

Cycles Rétro-Peugeot

Home

-----
Old 10-01-21, 04:17 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,682 Posts
If I remember correctly, that model of the Raleigh USA Gran Prix was built with Reynolds 531 (not Raleigh 555SL or any of the other Japanese tubing variations) in the main tubes. Worth asking for a picture of the drive side of the bike and a closeup of the decal.
Old 10-01-21, 06:08 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,378 Posts
When/if you do go to look at the Raleigh - read the sidewalls. It looks like wheels match In photo and unsure that Raleigh would even fit a 27, but sometimes owners with a trashed wheel will install a mismatch to get back riding or to sell the bike. If so that might explain the 700-27 in reference. Alternatively, might be seller has 700 x 27mm tire.
Old 10-01-21, 06:31 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
The Peugeot 103 tube set is just fine and, believe it or not, one of my favorites. Sure there are more exotic tube sets available but the 103 works great, in my opinion. At $30 it would already be in my stable, although thanks to storage space, I would have to flip it and earn myself a fast and easy hundred dollars.

I have never been a fan of the Raleigh brand but that Raleigh would be the easy equal to or better than the Peugeot but not by much.
Old 10-01-21, 09:02 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I’ll chime in to stick up for the Raleigh. IMO, much better machine than a Peugeot Carbolite bike. This is like comparing a Schwinn Tempo to a Schwinn World Sport. The Gran Prix was Raleigh USA’s entry level racer. In 86, the Grand Prix got Reynolds 531 steel on the main tubes. Pretty lean 23lbs as listed in the catalog. I’d guess the cage is strapped on because the owner doesn’t have any screws or bought a cheapy strap on cage mount (yes those are a thing). The Raleigh also has cage braze ons on the seat tube where I don’t see any braze ons at all on the Peugeot. The Raleigh’s wheels look to be 700c presta drilled (probably the original Ukai) vs the Peugeot which appear to be old 27” schrader drilled.

Last edited by plonz; 10-01-21 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 06:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
The Raleigh looks to be larger than the Peugeot. Buy the bike that fits you best. The Raleigh has forged dropouts. I can’t see the tubing sticker but It should have a nicer tubing set than the Peugeot.

There is a lot to be said for the Peugeot at $30. It has better tire clearance and is the more versatile bike. It will have a more forgiving ride and will make a fine commuter. It has eyelets. It has a classic Peugeot color scheme.
Old 10-02-21, 09:51 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
This is an EASY question...

I would buy BOTH !!!!!

The Raleigh cannot be much more than the Peugeot.

The you can work on both.

Ride BOTH.

And decide which is a better fit.

Keep them both or sell one and make some money $$$$$
Old 10-02-21, 10:03 AM
The Trashman

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I got the Peugeot for $25, was not as enthusiastic after seeing it in person, things tend to either look better or worse in pictures, and I would say it was the former in this case. Seems like the more I spend on a bike, the uglier they are, the nicest ones cosmetically/mechanically I've found were free on the curb.
The rear wheel is very out of true, I might eventually do something about it, but I have a bolt on aluminum Japanese wheel with some obsolete shimano uniglde cassette on it that at least from first glance seems to work well and shift with the stock components so I think I'll just use it if it works. The plastic simplex front derailleur is a piece of junk, I might see if I have a replacement shimano from the shogun too. It has to be the dirtiest thing I've seen, the grease or whatever is caked on is like varnish, kerosene barely touches it.
It is a UO10
Old 10-02-21, 11:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
The bike is a 57 cm so bigger than 21 inch. It’s easily worth what you paid for it. The simplex FDs worked fine when new but they don’t last.
Old 10-02-21, 02:09 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
You might be surprised at how good it looks after you've given it a good bath. Go easy on things at first. Aggressive cleaning can cause damage that is not easily repaired.

And FWIW, stand over is near the bottom of things I look for when it comes to fit. I care more about how the bike feels when it is actually moving.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 10-02-21, 05:52 PM
The Trashman

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
There is quite a few dings, rust and a very small dent in the top tube, looks worse than my Zebrakenko, which isn't a looker either, but if I get the sludge off the frame, I think it might look half decent from a distance . I swapped the pedals and the fresh rim on, going to go through it and decide what to do with it. But as is right now it's working not half bad.
I really need to look more into geometries,This is a 57cm, but from the back of the head tube to the front of the seat tube is 21", where my Zebrakenko is a 21" seat tube but the top tube is like 21.5 or 22 (don't remember from memory, I usually ride with the seatpost and bars about even in height. then the Bianchi I plan on selling is also a 21" seat tube but a 19" top tube. It's confusing, is there a typical ratio on older road bikes for top tube to seat post, or do they tend to varies between frame manufacturers or nations? I think 54 or 56 frame would be ideal in height, but the top tube could probably be a bit longer by maybe an inch on the top tube based on the Zebra which is the longest, but I suppose a longer stem would solve that since the one of the Zebra is a bit shorter than the Peugeot.
Old 10-02-21, 06:38 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,786 Times in 639 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
This is an EASY question...

I would buy BOTH !!!!!

The Raleigh cannot be much more than the Peugeot.

The you can work on both.

Ride BOTH.

And decide which is a better fit.

Keep them both or sell one and make some money $$$$$
At the prices asked I would agree both are great basic bikes and should be within the OP's size range and are way under priced. Plus both look mostly original and in good shape under the dirt from cluesless sellers these are the kind of bikes you get the best deals on.
Old 10-03-21, 04:20 PM
The Trashman

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Still don't care for the construction of it but I noticed that the front derailleur was actually loose, not enough to notice if not shifting, But if the chain went off the crank while shifting up, it'd cause it to turn inward, which I thought was it just bending or being flimsy, now it's working alright. I'll have to figure out some way to clean up all the rust spots without damaging the paint since there are quite a few, the pictures hid them. I might get the Raleigh if I could get it at like $45 but only if I sell the Bianchi first.
If these prices are as low as others are saying, why are they still up? Is it the local market, or do people generally not touch bikes that aren't as is ready to use or is it poor marketing on their part?

Last edited by The Trashman; 10-03-21 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-03-21, 07:05 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,786 Times in 639 Posts
As for the front DR slight being a bit lose it's because the dr is a 28.2 ideal clamp size and he French frame is 28.0 French this can solved with a small shim and a washer on each side of the clamp bolt to alloy for better tension.
Old 10-03-21, 08:46 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
I dig the Peugeot. Cool vintage. Cleaned up nicely!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super