Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

November Bike's New Frame - Review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-13, 01:30 PM
bobcdc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off, hello to everyone. I am new to this forum so please tolerate my possible lack of protocol on posting. I found this forum initially through a thread about November Bike's Rail 52 wheels, thus it seems a good place to start a thread on my experience with their new frame.

I keep repeating myself with disclaimers but will state up front, I am not employed by November Bikes, but the company is very local to me. I'm in the unique position to try out their products from time-to-time. This bike frame is a perfect example of this.

A little about me. I don't know if I'm a perfect reviewer for this, but maybe close - I am solidly in the category of long-time, middle-aged cycling enthusiast. I have about 20 years of various cycling addictions under my belt. I'm not the fastest in the local group ride, but certainly not the slowest. Strava has got me at about the top 10% on some popular segments, of which I'm proud. I'm unlikely to ever get a KOM unless it would be on my driveway. I own too many bikes. Mostly road biking with a rather fair amount of long-distance cycling (randonneuring) and touring. Many years of commuting as well. Some racing, but not much. My maximum riding in a year was about 7k miles. Probably a cliche' but, I used to ride much more before having kids. Hopefully you get the idea.

I'm long overdue in talking about their bike, for various reasons. But today is a good time to start because I've been noticing that November appears on the cusp of introducing their frame more significantly on their site. Here's their Facebook page which talks a little about it, more recently they have a post on the geometry of their new frames: https://www.facebook.com/NovemberBicycles No announcement so far on their website https://www.novemberbicycles.com/.

Before I say another word, I will repeat that I don't speak for November! And, for a couple reasons. I might get it wrong mostly, but also, I figure that's their job. They usually do a pretty good job so I am not likely to add anything there. I will say about this frame, as they mention, it's from an open mold. This brings questions in my mind, did they have any say in it's design process at all, whether that design incorporates what kind of carbon and how it's layed up? I can't say. I would like to hear more about that certainly.

Nevertheless, when it comes to how it rides, I can talk about that. So, to say I demo'd this bike is an understatement. I've gone to the LBS and tried out a bike for 30 minutes. This was nothing like that. I rode this bike for about a month. Group ride hammerfests and just about every ride I could do. It was requested that I not commute with it so that was about the only riding I didn't do on it. I took delivery of it in my front yard. No instructions except something like "no pressure, but it's going to art soon". Aaah. Okay. I wasn't planning on crashing but .. well I put that out of my mind because there before me was one sweet looking bike and I was going to ride it. Size 54, a set of carbon clinchers (RSFC 38s), SRAM Force, 53-39 (with Quark power meter). I made the seat adjustment and pedal switch (crank bros).

My initial concern was fit, but the bike fit me perfect with just a seat adjustment. Frankly, I think bike fit is the most important aspect of any bike and is a big factor in how much you're going to like that bike over time. I was glad that worked.

I will say, before I took my first ride, I was hoping I'd like the bike, but not too much because I have what I thought was a nice carbon frame bike. My first surprise was it's ability to soak up the typical road vibration. The ride was really good. It was really too good. I thought that I must be mistaken, it can't be this good. It was certainly better than my Specialized Roubaix Comp (circa 2003-04). Of bigger surprise, it was better than my steel framed Fuji with touring wheels and tires (25mm) and long chain stays. I kept seeking out some familiar roads thinking, "certainly, it's not going to handle this as well", and it didn't. It handled them much better. Later, I talked with owner Mike about this -- It all has to do with the type of carbon and how the carbon is layed up. I was impressed. I am impressed - it is the single biggest factor for me in liking the bike, the ride quality was other worldly. I know this might sound like a commercial but that's it in a nutshell.

Frame stiffness is also top tier. The bottom bracket area is very robust, similar to maybe a Cervelo R bike. I think some perspective on my part is in order, yes, I ride a Ti frame bike also (Litespeed). Very easy to scrape the front derailleur in certain gears and while sprinting. That simply was not ever a problem on this frame. I always had the feeling that every watt I was producing was getting to that back wheel. A very efficient and rigid powerhouse of a frame. Standup and sprint out of the saddle and the bike bobs nicely below you. It likes to climb. I think this is all the result of a stiff frame - in the places where it should be stiff.

Handling is confidence inspiring. I think it's ability to handle pavement roughness with a certain aplomb adds to this (keeping the rubber on the road), but I have to add the geometry of the frame probably contributes here. It felt very stable in the corners and has overall a very stable ride. It's got the big rigid and tapered head tube up front, this must add to it's overall stability and a secure feeling on fast descents.

Other things I can add, I'm told the frame weight is about 850 grams. That seemed about right, the bike feels very light. In the month I had it I never weighed it, oh well! But, I'm sure this will show itself when they start producing them.

I'll try to wrap this up (mainly because I want to get out and ride on this nice day), so will say the overall impression of this bike is a bike you can race but could also ride a grand fondo on. If it had rack and fender mounting holes I'd love it for a long bike tour .. although I know it's not made for that.

That leads to my last point - price point. I don't know where they will price it at, but I'm sure it will blow away the competition in the bang-for-the-buck category. Here is a bike that in my mind is in the same league as a Cervelo R5 or Specialized S-Works Roubaix (comfortable, light, fast) yet will be priced far cheaper. I think that's the story of November bikes and partly why I love their products and business model. They build their customer base by making an outstanding product and standing behind it but don't spend a lot on what you don't pay for.

In the end, I gave the bike back reluctantly. In conclusion, I'm anxiously waiting for more information on this myself. I had to give the bike up months ago and although I've been in the market for a new bike (and probably would have gotten one already), I know this is worth the wait. I'll be one of the first to put my money down on this. BTW, I believe they're going to call the bike the "Dojo".

Bob

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14224073@N04/9644756549/

Last edited by bobcdc; 12-06-13 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typos and some irrelevant content
Old 11-23-13, 06:44 PM
VA_Esquire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice review! I can't wait for the frameset to be available to the public, pending on the price.....