Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

aluminum wheelset suggestions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 02:59 PM
petermk

Bikes: Wilier Gran Turismo 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I hit a rock or something about 2 weeks ago and the real wheel of my Soul 3.0 set became untrue. I finally took the bike to LBS today. They did the best they could and the wheel is now rideable but still far from true. So, I guess it's time to look for a new wheelset. I am not sure I want another Soul set after what happened. I've also looked at the Williams 30, Hed Ardennes LT. My budget is around $600-700.

Thanks
Old 01-20-14, 03:03 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Weight? Riding type/terrain/habits?
Old 01-20-14, 03:05 PM
petermk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am around 160 lbs. I do solo rides in Brooklyn, NY, so it's mostly flat.
Old 01-20-14, 03:07 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Boyd just came out with the Altamont, an update of the Vitesse which has had rave reviews. Haven't owned either but have ridden the Vitesse set. Unbelievable for the money and I have to think the Altamont will be too.

You can get the Vitesse on closeout for $550 (front and rear), or $650 for the new Altamont.

Psimet also gets good press here, and I've never heard anyone say a bad word his stuff. A little different business because he doesn't list a line of specific models, you get in touch with him and go over your needs/wants and he builds according to that. Psimet2001 and coachboyd are both contributors here.
Old 01-20-14, 03:15 PM
canam73

For what you are talking I would get Pacenti SL23 rims lace White Industry hubs by a handbuilder. Standard DB 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes unless you feel you need an aero advantage then get CX Rays on the front & NDS. Brass nipples all around. There are similar rims from Kinlin, H+ Sons and HED for more or less money. For spokes I would go at least 24/28 or even 24/32, but I'm the opposite of a weight weeny when it comes to non-race situations.

If you prefer pre-built or semi-custom (like the souls but built domestically), Boyd and November offer similar wheels. I would look for handbuilder in your area, but otherwise Psimet who frequents these forums is well regarded.
Old 01-20-14, 03:57 PM
petermk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have experience with https://www.revolutionwheelworks.com?
Old 01-20-14, 04:26 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 165 lbs and went with ROL Race SLs. I've only got about 85mi on them so far but are pretty nice. Sean and Paul were great to deal with; for my weight/ex cat 4 recreational riding they recommended either D'Huez 24/28s (better for big climbing) or Race SLs (sturdy, all rounder). They did have a 10% sale for the new year so I got a pretty good deal on these shipped.

Living in Brooklyn I went with the Race SLs, I think the deeper 28mm rim is going to be sturdier over the long haul, on ****e roads around nyc. I'm really liking the bladed CX Rays - they do seem to help with the wind a bit.

Last edited by MagicHour; 01-20-14 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-20-14, 04:57 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very happy with my Flo30s for the increase in handling/stiffness, shock damping, and surving a crash where the bicycle bounced at least 40'.
Old 01-20-14, 05:03 PM
Jay68442

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Sl4 Expert, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with MagicHour, ROL Race SL's are great wheels. https://www.rolwheels.com/wheels/wheel/race-sl
Old 01-20-14, 05:36 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
open pros on 105 hubs ?

bit dated but they work
Old 01-20-14, 06:12 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
There are better options than Open Pros. Why not HED Belgium, DT Swiss RR440 or RR585, Kinlin XC279?
Old 01-20-14, 06:43 PM
canam73

Originally Posted by Jay68442
I agree with MagicHour, ROL Race SL's are great wheels. https://www.rolwheels.com/wheels/wheel/race-sl
Those look decent, but if I'm not mistaken they are the above mentioned Kinlin XC 279 laced with Sapim cx rays to import hubs (not sure if novatec, Bitex or chosen maybe somebody can identify them). All told about $350 in parts from the bikehubstore or others. There are a lot of good builders who will put that together for a lot less than the $325 extra they are asking for it and will stand behind there work. Or if you are crafty, throw in the cost of a nice truing stand, wrench and tension meter and build them yourself. And if you do go with a custom build or diy, you can customize them to your needs. For instance, go with brass nipples and use heavier spokes on the DS.
Old 01-20-14, 08:18 PM
petermk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I am definitely not building a wheelset myself. Is HED Ardennes LT a good option for $675? https://www.westernbikeworks.com/prod...ncher-wheelset
Old 01-20-14, 08:25 PM
Jay68442

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Sl4 Expert, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I don't know about the parts you mentioned but I owned a set of ROL's and they were a good wheelset. I put many trouble free miles on them and they always stayed true. I'm sure there are cheaper options available and many good wheel builders out there.
Originally Posted by canam73
Those look decent, but if I'm not mistaken they are the above mentioned Kinlin XC 279 laced with Sapim cx rays to import hubs (not sure if novatec, Bitex or chosen maybe somebody can identify them). All told about $350 in parts from the bikehubstore or others. There are a lot of good builders who will put that together for a lot less than the $325 extra they are asking for it and will stand behind there work. Or if you are crafty, throw in the cost of a nice truing stand, wrench and tension meter and build them yourself. And if you do go with a custom build or diy, you can customize them to your needs. For instance, go with brass nipples and use heavier spokes on the DS.
Old 01-20-14, 08:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by petermk
Well, I am definitely not building a wheelset myself. Is HED Ardennes LT a good option for $675? https://www.westernbikeworks.com/prod...ncher-wheelset
It's not bad. The November FSW23 or Boyd Vitesse are a little better, I think, and very similar. Those are big-name wheels, though, and I love mine that are built on the same rims.
Old 01-21-14, 12:10 AM
petermk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a bit more research and ran into the Fulcrum Racing 3. Any opinion on these?
Old 01-21-14, 11:24 AM
petermk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, there's the Campagnolo Zonda, which is pretty much the same as the Fulcrum Racing 3 but cheaper
Old 01-21-14, 12:01 PM
jjjj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Pacenti SL23 custom builds. I have them built with a power tap hub. I love them. One word of caution. They are tubeless ready, which means changing they are a bit tough to mount a tire. With proper technique it is not a big deal.
Old 01-21-14, 05:36 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking at the Rol D'huez. great looking wheel, light and aero. Also was looking at the Fulcrum 3's. Bought a new bike so automatically going to get new wheels but seriously choosing a wheelset is no easy task. The Boyd close out Vittesse are a great wheel like mentioned. Boyd has a great rep as does Psimet so would be interested in what you wind up with.
Old 01-21-14, 05:53 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
For what you are talking I would get Pacenti SL23 rims lace White Industry hubs by a handbuilder. Standard DB 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes unless you feel you need an aero advantage then get CX Rays on the front & NDS. Brass nipples all around. There are similar rims from Kinlin, H+ Sons and HED for more or less money. For spokes I would go at least 24/28 or even 24/32, but I'm the opposite of a weight weeny when it comes to non-race situations.

If you prefer pre-built or semi-custom (like the souls but built domestically), Boyd and November offer similar wheels. I would look for handbuilder in your area, but otherwise Psimet who frequents these forums is well regarded.
This is excellent advice. I'd add that the H+ Son Archetypes I built are some of the best quality rims I've ever used and definitely worth a look (though they're a bit heavier than the Pacentis). I've built with Novatec hubs and have been quite impressed with their quality as a cheaper alternative to the WI, just get the nicer bearings. 32H is probably a bit overbuilt at the OP's weight.
Old 01-21-14, 07:32 PM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velocity A23 rims built with White Industries hubs?
Old 01-22-14, 08:22 AM
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Western Bike Works is having a winter sale on wheels - they have some Fulcrums for under $200 for a set, and other smoking' deals. Check 'em out.
Old 01-22-14, 10:46 AM
petermk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tanguy frame
Western Bike Works is having a winter sale on wheels - they have some Fulcrums for under $200 for a set, and other smoking' deals. Check 'em out.
I was going to buy Fulcrum 3 from that website but then discovered that Campy Zonda is pretty much the same thing but cheaper. So, I ended up ordering a set of Zondas from wiggle for $420. It's hard to beat that as far as price/quality. I didn't wanna go custom for a winter set that I am also going to use on the trainer.

Thanks
Old 01-22-14, 11:44 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by petermk
I was going to buy Fulcrum 3 from that website but then discovered that Campy Zonda is pretty much the same thing but cheaper. So, I ended up ordering a set of Zondas from wiggle for $420. It's hard to beat that as far as price/quality. I didn't wanna go custom for a winter set that I am also going to use on the trainer.

Thanks
Apparently you have a Campy drive train, no? Isn't it that Fulcrums come in Shimano and Campys come in well...Campy? I understand the 11-speed cassettes are close to interchangeable, but it maybe you aren't on 11. Just sayin'.
Old 01-22-14, 11:47 AM
petermk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Apparently you have a Campy drive train, no? Isn't it that Fulcrums come in Shimano and Campys come in well...Campy? I understand the 11-speed cassettes are close to interchangeable, but it maybe you aren't on 11. Just sayin'.
No, I have Ultegra 6700. Campy Zonda comes with Campy or Shimano freehubs. I ordered the Shimano version, of course.
https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-zon...cher-wheelset/

Last edited by petermk; 01-22-14 at 11:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.