Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brooks saddles

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 01:03 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks saddles

Need a new saddle, as the gel thing on one bike isn't cutting it. Wondering about taking the old Specialized Alias off one bike and putting onto my "light" bike (which has a saddle that isn't working for me), and getting something like a B17 Imperial for my long(er) ride bike. The Alias has been working for years, but there's that whole Brooks vibe.

Question: I see the rain cover. Is that something you can ride on if caught riding while it is raining?

Also, does the saddle come with Proofide, or do I have to buy separately? Amazon is grouping the cover and goop together.
Old 05-22-17, 01:17 PM
yadder

Bikes: CUBE Acid 29er, Salsa El Mariachi SSGT Avalanche X 2009, MMVZ Minsk 1980, Trek 4300 custom, HVZ Ukraina 111-411, Cannondale Trail 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there ! Brooks buy saddle with Profide. You don't need buy separately. Brooks beatyful saddle, but how for me in my country is very expensive. We use saddle from Start- Shosse bike , that is soviet replica Brooks b16.
Respectfully from Ukraine
Old 05-22-17, 01:17 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by supton
Need a new saddle, as the gel thing on one bike isn't cutting it. Wondering about taking the old Specialized Alias off one bike and putting onto my "light" bike (which has a saddle that isn't working for me), and getting something like a B17 Imperial for my long(er) ride bike. The Alias has been working for years, but there's that whole Brooks vibe.

Question: I see the rain cover. Is that something you can ride on if caught riding while it is raining?

Also, does the saddle come with Proofide, or do I have to buy separately? Amazon is grouping the cover and goop together.
I am not clear on your question about the rain cover. It is intended to be ridden on, though I suppose as purely a cover, it would work as well.

The saddles come with a 1-2 use packet of proofide, depending on how much you apply to the saddle.
Old 05-22-17, 01:19 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Intended to be ridden on, good to know. Thanks!
Old 05-22-17, 01:29 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
That was a great question as I didn't really know about the rain cover either. I am a Brooks B17 Imperial fan. I've put about 1500 miles + on one so far and it fits like a glove now. I did, however, purchase an additional tin of Proofide to have around and I dress it about every three months to 6 months. It does come with a little packet of proofide in the box.

- Cpt. Bob
Old 05-22-17, 02:12 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

Not sure which cover Amazon is pairing with the saddle, but I have purchased both the Ardvark and Serfas covers, and both can be used while riding. I'll typically leave the Serfas cover on my commuter b17 if it looks like it might rain when I get to my destination. The saddles new from Brooks typically come with enough proofride in the packet for a single application. We have a few b17's on various bikes, and now one c17 cambium carved. I'm finding the cambium carved to be the bees knees, and think I like it more than my previously well loved b17s. The imperial may accomplish much the same thing though. Enjoy.
Old 05-22-17, 03:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Probably. But I never found a need to buy the fancy rain cover. My commuter bike has a Brooks B-66 saddle; I just kept a plastic bag from the grocery store stuffed underneath for when it rained. I'd put it over the saddle when I parked it outside at work, and if it was raining, I'd ride home with the bag on the saddle still. When the bag starts to wear, just replace it with another one.

My Brooks "Professional" saddle came with a can of Proofide; my B-66 did not. But both those saddles were purchased several decades ago. Things may be different now.

N.B. the 40g tin of Proofide should last much longer than just 1-2 applications. The tin that came with my Professional saddle lasted well over a decade.
Old 05-22-17, 03:30 PM
Noddy

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
N.B. the 40g tin of Proofide should last much longer than just 1-2 applications. The tin that came with my Professional saddle lasted well over a decade.
I would certainly hope so! LOL - the 1-2 applications referred to the 2.5ml packet that comes as a sample of Proofide with new saddles.
Old 05-22-17, 03:43 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I have purchased three B17s, one Swallow (B15), and one Team Pro Classic over the past five years. All from Amazon (US). All arrived in factory sealed boxes. None contained any quantity of Proofide.
Old 05-22-17, 09:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Brooks England B17 Standard Saddle

For what its worth, this is $85. Free shipping. Took o days to arrice and comes with a small packet of Proof.
Over the winter they were $70!

$85 is still great.
Old 05-22-17, 09:42 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Noddy
the 1-2 applications referred to the 2.5ml packet that comes as a sample of Proofide with new saddles.
As I noted, my saddles were purchased several decades ago, and "things may be different now." I've never seen one of those 2.5ml sample packets of Proofide.
Old 05-22-17, 10:08 PM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're riding in the rain, your ass is the rain cover.
Old 05-23-17, 04:40 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I've read several threads on Brooks saddles. One person posted his many years of experience with the Brooks brand and added photos. He said he never used anything on the leather. It was impressive how many decades of use he was getting out of these saddles.

If I am using the Yakima Steelhead for transport I use a couple of those plastic grocery bags. They are easy to tie on. . I have a thick freezer zip lock type in the pannier in case it raining and I need to get off the bike.
Old 05-23-17, 06:10 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timequake

Where's a "like" button when you need one?
Old 05-23-17, 07:09 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timequake
Only true if you have fenders. Otherwise, the underside of the saddle will become soaked. (That's why Brooks recommends coating the underside as well as the top of the saddle with Proofide.) For rain riding, a waterproof cover should wrap around the entire saddle. A plastic bag is fine, but it should be secured to the seatpost with a "twist-tie."

Riding on a soaked saddle will cause the leather to sag permanently and will void the warranty. I own three B-17s and I hope they last as long as I do.
Old 05-23-17, 08:43 AM
Crawdaddy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the Brooks saddles but do not let them get wet. The covers are nice and any hint of dark clouds put some kind of cover on. I had a freak storm cloud sneak up behind me on a nice sunny day. A crash of lightening then poured. Dang near ruined saddle before I could get the cover on. It was well Proofided too. Switched to C17 after and now I laugh at rain.
Old 05-23-17, 09:34 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My trunk bag has a rain cover and the two times I've been caught out, I just put it over the saddle and tied it off underneath with the drawstrings. Maybe if you ride in the rain regularly you might want the form fitted dedicated cover, otherwise just look around your house...you might have something that will work.
My Brooks from Wallingfordbikes.com (sadly no longer in biz) came with the packet of proofhide.
Old 05-23-17, 09:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1)..Fenders on the bike?..

I have a beeswax finish on the underside of my old Brooks, (team pro) & plastic bags to put over it.

Old 05-23-17, 11:46 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike I want to put it onto has fenders. So less worried about that. But I might go with the Cambrium all the same. I have a nasty tendency to let things go for too long when it comes to maintenance. And who knows. If I like it the saddle may wind up on more of my bikes.