Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repair a bike chain.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Repair a bike chain.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 05:50 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's not right.

When you buy a new chain it will be too long for your bike when it comes. It always has to be custom shortened to fit your bike. It's not hard to do but it does require a chain tool.

I do agree with WNCGoater that since one link has broken the whole chain is suspect. Bicycle chains don't last forever. If it was my bike, I'd definitely replace it.
You are absolutely correct. Must have had a senior moment there. And I just replaced a chain a month ago! I count the links of the original and shorten the new chain to match. THEN that little master link is put in to splice it all together. You will need the chain break tool to do that.

Sorry for passing on bad info, good catch Retro Grouch.
Old 08-11-17, 05:57 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
You are making this far too complicated. The picture you showed is a chain breaker that will work on any standard bike chain from 5 to 10 speed. It will be a bit more difficult to press out the pin on a 9 speed chain where the pin ends have been mushroomed but I have used that exact tool on chains from 8 to 10 speeds. Buy the SRAM chain you list. It will work on any bike with a 9 speed cluster in the rear. Hold it next to your existing chain and match the length. It will not have stretched enough to make this inaccurate as a way to measure chain length. Or count the links in your existing chain and push the pin out to match the number of links. I can't believe the bike shop told you that you should change the chain every year and a half. Unless your commute is really long, you should not be putting that many miles on the bike. I would only change the chain after thousands of miles unless the shifting got squirrely. You can probably get away with using the existing cassette unless it thousands of miles on it. If the new chain skips on some gears (assuming you have adjusted the rear derailleur correctly) then you should also change the cassette.

BTW, this is a classic example of why it pays to learn simple bike mechanics. The 10 pound labor charge for removing and replacing a cassette is a good example. If you have done it once, it should not take more than 5 minutes.
Old 08-11-17, 07:22 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Do you have an X-Rated autocorrect? Cogs is a fairly common word, although perhaps not as common as the other.
Not yet, but I'm slowly teaching it to swear. 😉

On a serious note I have found that my phone autocorrects to words I use commonly, even if I spelled the word I'm using right. For example if I swype "car" my phone nearly always substitutes "cat". I can't type what my phone says when I swype "duck", but it took 6 months for that. Typing one letter at a time reduces the amount of autocorrects but does not eliminate them.
Old 08-11-17, 07:49 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Desmond56
My chain broke. I am not a biker and no nothing about this. I looked on the internet and bought a chain link remover/repairer. The chain might be old as it didn't fit comfortably in the remover. I couldn't do the repair. I was also considering buying a new chain but wasn't sure if there is a standard chain size.

My bike has 9 cocks on back wheel and 3 in the centre of the bike, so this is 27 speed.

I saw this on ebay.
SHIMANO HG53 9 Speed Deore / Tiagra MTB MTN Road Bike Chain CNHG53
I have that same exact chain breaker but if that is a picture of what you exactly have, it is missing the screw that holds the chain against the breaker's grooves. I have a 9 speeds too and have no problem breaking a link with it.

Old 08-13-17, 01:38 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Nope, it is not missing a part. Chain breakers come both ways. The addition of the pin stop on the left side of the tool may be an improvement on the older design without it. If you look online most of the new ones have a stop but there ares still many that do not. I've had chain breakers like the one pictured for decades and none came with the stop but I probably haven't bought one in the last 5 years.
Old 08-15-17, 02:46 AM
Desmond56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Shimagnolo
I can simply buy a link/ link pair.
Old 08-15-17, 02:58 AM
Desmond56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi thanks for your help and support. As in my previous response I can get a good quality link. The shop said I wouldn't need to change the large central cogs (3 cogs on this). Surely that is as susceptible to wear as the cassette. What about the fiddly spring loaded governor assembly (don't know it's name)? Does this not wear out?

Also I never use the back nine gear cassette. I jump up and down using the larger gears. So with a damaged cog I can simply not use that one.
Old 08-23-17, 02:28 PM
Desmond56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I have just got ...
2 PAIRS KMC 9 &10 Speed Missing Link Quick Link Chain Link Join Link

These are 4 half links and are identical. A chain has an outer link and an inner link. I was expecting 2 of the halves to be smaller (smaller pins that is).

What do I do? break the chain links so that I have 2 inner links and use one of the pairs? That means I don't need both of the links.
Old 08-23-17, 03:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
It means that if you want to repair the chain and lose one of the sides of one of links, you aren't standing on the side of the road feeling around in the grass and gravel in the dark cursing and trying to think who you could call for a ride who wouldn't tell anyone.
Old 08-23-17, 05:39 PM
VegasTriker

The inner and outer links for the master link are identical. You have two master links. Pick any two of the four and join the ends of the chain. I told you that you are making this entirely too hard. Just be sure to count the links in both the old and new chain and make sure the new one matches the old one before you join the halves.
Old 08-23-17, 07:16 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Hi. I have just got ...

These are 4 half links and are identical. A chain has an outer link and an inner link. I was expecting 2 of the halves to be smaller (smaller pins that is).

What do I do? break the chain links so that I have 2 inner links and use one of the pairs? That means I don't need both of the links.
Yes, you need your chain breaker to break away the outer links so you're left with inner links on both ends of the chain. You then use the Missing Link to tie both inner ends together.
Old 08-24-17, 01:12 PM
yadder

Bikes: CUBE Acid 29er, Salsa El Mariachi SSGT Avalanche X 2009, MMVZ Minsk 1980, Trek 4300 custom, HVZ Ukraina 111-411, Cannondale Trail 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I have just got ...

And what nobody say what need change 3 things together??? If you change onle chain your cassete and cranks don't work wit new chain! Because that details adapted for old chain. If u want something change you must change complete- cassette-chain-front cogs . It's rule or law good worked bicycle transmission.
Old 08-25-17, 01:01 AM
Desmond56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks yadder. I have examined the cassette in close detail. There is nothing wrong with it. As it says "If it's not broke, don't fix it".

The link removing tool works better on the NEW replacement links. Working out how to use the tool better. You don't need the smaller adjustment that is just screwed in. It leaves a hole for the old link to be pushed out of.

Thanks for all your help. Bike is working fine now.
Old 08-25-17, 04:41 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
...The shop said I wouldn't need to change the large central cogs (3 cogs on this). Surely that is as susceptible to wear as the cassette.

Wear is quite dependent on the number of teeth being engaged.

Since the chainrings generally have more teeth engaging the chain, they wear slower.

On my commuter I get about two chains per casssette and 2-3 cassettes per crankset.

What about the fiddly spring loaded governor assembly (don't know it's name)?

Sounds like you're talking about the derailer/derailleur.

Please, if you're gonna do - and ask about - bike mechanics, learn the words.

If not by heart, here's one place to look them up:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bicycle_parts

It'll make it easier both for you and for anyone trying to answer.

What about the fiddly spring loaded governor assembly ..Does this not wear out?

Eventually, yes.
For a bike not used in mud or heavy dust, very eventually.
For road use, a derailer may well last the life of the bike.

Wearing out the pulley wheels is easier, particularly if you're a bit lax about replacing the chain.
But replacing them is no big drama.
Old 08-26-17, 01:02 AM
Desmond56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Thanks. I have a tendency to leave the back cogs on the smallest cog of the nine and jump through the gears using the 3 larger gears. I was thinking if the cassette was wearing down I could simply shift it to the next largest gear of nine) on the back wheel.

Also
Code:
On my commuter I get about two chains per casssette and 2-3 cassettes per crankset
What is the crankset?

Also how often do I need to change the derailer as this would also were down?
Old 08-26-17, 02:41 AM
Falchoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 08-26-17, 03:30 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
...I have a tendency to leave the back cogs on the smallest cog of the nine and jump through the gears using the 3 larger gears.
That is bad technique. Probably twice over.
Running the chain from smallest rear to smallest front has it running at a severe angle.
It increases wear, often causes noise and serves no functional purpose.
To dumb it down you're using the go-fastest rear gear together with the go-slowest front gear.
You can get the same overall gear ratio at another, mechanically healthier ratio.

I also rather wonder if you actually need the highest gear.
At a rough estimate, it'll take an average rider to 25+ mph.
Are you that fast regularly?

A better habit would be to leave the bike on the middle gear in the front, and then use the rears as you see fit.
Or shift the rear into the 4th-6th gear/sprocket range, leave it there and then follow your front shifting habit.
I was thinking if the cassette was wearing down I could simply shift it to the next largest gear of nine) on the back wheel.
Bad idea.
If you truly shift the way you say, the chain is likely to be so stretched when the smallest sprocket begins to give you trouble that it won't engage well with the 2nd smallest.

What is the crankset?
I gave you a link. Start doing your homework.
Complete cranksets can often be had for less than replacement chainrings, making it a sensible option.

Also how often do I need to change the derailer as this would also were down?
There's no set mileage, there's no set age.
Wear is determined by usage conditions.
You replace when worn enough to merit replacement.

The teeth on the derailer pulleys should have clearly flat tops.
If they've gotten pointy, it's time to replace.

The hinges and joints on a derailer used in muddy conditions can eventually get worn.
The derailer will then begin to sway and flop about a bit.
When it's floppy enough to touch the spokes, or to noticeably degrade shifting, it's time to replace.

Really, I think you have the wrong bike for your level of interest in riding technique.
You would be better served with a 3-5 gears internal gear bike.

Last edited by dabac; 08-26-17 at 04:40 AM.