Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy Tandem Length Cable?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 01:24 PM
Epicus07 
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Good morning,

I would love to route my simplex retrofriction bar ends under the handlebar tape. In the past when i have done this i have needed "tandem length" cable for the rear. I know that this is widely available for shimano. Is there a source for retro/campy style shift cables?
Old 08-28-23, 01:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Surely you are joking.

buy the Shimano cable if you can locate it, actually purchase two. The next time?
Old 08-28-23, 07:01 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Epicus07
Good morning,

I would love to route my simplex retrofriction bar ends under the handlebar tape. In the past when i have done this i have needed "tandem length" cable for the rear. I know that this is widely available for shimano. Is there a source for retro/campy style shift cables?
Never ever saw tandem-length Campag shifter cables (or brakes, for that matter.) What you probably need are DaVinci cable splitters (they are actually splicers, not splitters.) They are essential for take-apart tandems but kind of expensive.

If you don't need to have the two parts of the cable disconnect -- and on a single, why would you? -- you should be able to fashion your own true splicer out of a short length of solid aluminum rod salvaged from an old Blackburn-type rear rack and four small set screws. Drill a 1.5 mm or 1/16" hole down the middle of the rod section, 1/2 - 3/4" long, for the two cable ends to meet in. Then drill two holes laterally all the way through, one close to each end, and tap appropriately for 6-32 or M3 or M4 (I think, from memory) set screws. Drill the small hole first, else your the tiny bit will likely break as it catches on the burrs of the larger holes as it crosses them. Pass the distal end of the front cable and the proximal end of the rear cable without a head into the small holes so they meet about halfway in. Drive a set screw in from each side to secure each end. Bob's your uncle. This is a great way to make use of leftover lengths of trimmed off cable without their heads, btw.

You need four set screws because you have to drill the sideways holes all the way through the rod in order to tap threads all the way. The set screw has to drive right though the hole to pinch the cable between it and its mate. Plan carefully where to position the splicer. Under the down tube close to the BB usually keeps it from banging into the frame. Farther back near the derailer won't work because the cable runs too close to the chain stay. You don't strictly need set screws but they look nicer than cap screws sticking out of the rod. The key thing is the two cable ends must meet end to end without overlap, otherwise the set screws won't hold them securely and they'll slide apart.
Old 08-28-23, 07:10 PM
Epicus07 
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for that interesting option. Fortunately it turns out that jagwire sells a 3000mm campy cable. All good

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Never ever saw tandem-length Campag shifter cables (or brakes, for that matter.) What you probably need are DaVinci cable splitters (they are actually splicers, not splitters.) They are essential for take-apart tandems but kind of expensive.

If you don't need to have the two parts of the cable disconnect -- and on a single, why would you? -- you should be able to fashion your own true splicer out of a short length of solid aluminum rod salvaged from an old Blackburn-type rear rack and four small set screws. Drill a 1.5 mm or 1/16" hole down the middle of the rod section, 1/2 - 3/4" long, for the two cable ends to meet in. Then drill two holes laterally all the way through, one close to each end, and tap appropriately for 6-32 or M3 or M4 (I think, from memory) set screws. Drill the small hole first, else your the tiny bit will likely break as it catches on the burrs of the larger holes as it crosses them. Pass the distal end of the front cable and the proximal end of the rear cable without a head into the small holes so they meet about halfway in. Drive a set screw in from each side to secure each end. Bob's your uncle. This is a great way to make use of leftover lengths of trimmed off cable without their heads, btw.

You need four set screws because you have to drill the sideways holes all the way through the rod in order to tap threads all the way. The set screw has to drive right though the hole to pinch the cable between it and its mate. Plan carefully where to position the splicer. Under the down tube close to the BB usually keeps it from banging into the frame. Farther back near the derailer won't work because the cable runs too close to the chain stay. You don't strictly need set screws but they look nicer than cap screws sticking out of the rod. The key thing is the two cable ends must meet end to end without overlap, otherwise the set screws won't hold them securely and they'll slide apart.
Old 08-28-23, 07:49 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Mods I'm sorry I don't know how this post got posted twice. I've tried to delete the duplicate but it won't.
Edit: Oops, guess it did.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 08-28-23 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-28-23, 09:08 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,128 Times in 555 Posts
I know you found what you needed already, but I'm curious about what you meant by "Campy cable." Are you referring to the head diameter? If so, you can always file down the head to the right diameter if that's the issue. I do this routinely for my retrofriction shifters.
Likes For gaucho777: