Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Jaguar Bicycle help needee?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 09:11 PM
jlvantassel

Bikes: Bianchi Eros and Volpe, Pinarello Galileo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend just picked up an old Jaguar bike and I have tried finding info online and am coming up empty. It is not a Schwinn Jaguar that I can see. It is in very good shape.
3 speed, spring leather seat, fairly narrow tires but not like roadie treads.
I don't have a picture either. I am looking for a website to get info on dating the bike.

Actually any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Jim
Old 03-29-05, 03:09 AM
vobopl
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlvantassel
A friend just picked up an old Jaguar bike and I have tried finding info online and am coming up empty. It is not a Schwinn Jaguar that I can see. It is in very good shape.
3 speed, spring leather seat, fairly narrow tires but not like roadie treads.
I don't have a picture either. I am looking for a website to get info on dating the bike.

Actually any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Jim
This was a brand of Polish bike manufacturer. Old ones (1954 vintage) could have been 3 speed (+ suicide derailleur on front). Regular Jaguars had Reynolds tubing, had no der hanger on dropout. Jaguar Special had Columbus tubing, chromed fork and der hanger. Sizes (spacings, diameters, etc. of regular ones were odd.

Check here for pics: https://rowerowe.wrota.net/jaguarhuragan/, especilaly seat cluster, common for Polish made Jaguars, Huragans and later Romet Sports.

Cheers,
v.
Old 03-29-05, 03:17 AM
vobopl
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=90209 has a picture of Polish Jaguar frame from 60' - does it look like the one you are talking about?

Cheers,
v.
Old 10-02-10, 08:29 AM
gear freak

Bikes: i still have 5 road bikes that i can't get my leg over the top tube, so in 1999 i bought a greenspeed gto trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about 5 years ago there was an inquirey at this site concerning a polish jaguar bicycle. i in the late 1978-1979 i rode a jaguar polish frameset. i haven't been to poland since 1974 or so, but i will try to supply what details i can. jaguar is spelled the same way in polish & english. the jag was polands top on the line production bike, the tylers were exported to the simple minded americans.when i bought this frameset in 1974 it was about what a college educated man made in a month. the frame is made of Reynolds 531 double butted in the main tubes, doesn't quite sound like a tyler? when i got back to boston i took it to chris chance (of fat chance fame, but that was still in the future). chris said the frame was poorly finished with thin paint. he said he could clean it up in 1.5 hours, i told him spend three hours on it. it forged dropouts that were very long with a rear derailleur hanger & drilled & tapped for the rear axle adjusters. i had the frame chromed with a black panel on the top tube were it said jaguar & another black panel on the down tube with my names. with a stronglight 99 crankset all three chainrings mount on the same small diameter bolt circle so i had the rings hardened & black anodized which is more actractive than currrent practice, with black anodized brake levers, calipers & shimano crane gs rear derailleur it was a handsome bike. the rame took a standard headset, 22.2 mm. dia. steer tube, british bottom bracket the derailleur hanger was threaded. the things that the jag came stock with was campagnolo record front derailleur, nouvo record rear, campy record low flange hubs laced into polish sew up rims. the brakes may have mafac racer center pulls, they were available in poland. the saddle might have been brooks. the cluster might have been regina, were also available. the other parts were probably polish made, the stem was probably steel, the cranks were cottered steel with a 50.4 dia. bolt circle, the rings may have been alloy. i bought this in warsaws only proshop. the owner stanislaw krolak passed away in 2009, so hhow did it ride, a friend who was a uscf team mechanic tried it out & said i certainly had a road bike, so when friends teased that i had a tyler it did not bother me. with my usual riding companions who always dropped on my touring bike. i didec decd a triple century on jag. on 23 dec 79 was inadvertenly cut off by a car & that was the end the jag after only 16 months. the jag was totaled. for some one who for years lusted for something faster than a touring bike. my father who thought pay
Old 10-02-10, 09:25 AM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Gear, I'm sure your story is interesting but nearly unreadable without commonly accepted punctuation.
Likes For David Newton: