Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fenders on Road Bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fenders on Road Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 10:07 AM
SpikedLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fenders on Road Bikes

I got caught in the rain on the way home last night from work and had the obligatory mess on my backside. It was a little inconvenient as I had to change as soon as I was home before going back out.

What are you using for fenders on a road bike?

And, for those that have fenders on their bike in the rain, do you remove them in the dryer months or just leave them on? (maybe that specific question more suited for the touring/commuting sub)

I've got fender mounts on my Synapse - so I figure I could fit just about any style on this bike.
Old 10-21-15, 10:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Ironically, there's a thread about rain bikes right now; one reason some people have one is they can leave the fenders on year round and not have to deal with them on nice days. That's been my approach. And race blades because they fit.
Old 10-21-15, 10:12 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
My bike allows for 32mm tires plus full length fenders and I put them on in the winter....well, actually I will install them in the next few weeks. The only reason I don't use them all year is because my bike rack on the car doesn't work with a front fendered tire and going to the various charity and event rides I do all spring through fall would get to be a real hassle. They actually make riding in wet conditions so much less of a hassle.
Old 10-21-15, 10:26 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
My fendered bikes always have their fenders, plus their lights (at least the mounts) and rear racks installed. I occasionally remove my front fender to put the bike in a car but the rear has never come off. It is far more of a hassle remove, too, especially with the rack on there. I couldn't see myself ever playing the game of 'fenders or not' if it was my only bike, but it rains all year round where I live. If I lived somewhere with a dry season or did rides where keeping weight down was a huge priority, I might be more likely to deal with the hassle. I can be a bit of a weight weenie but I think my practical side would win out in the end. Luckily for me, I have more than one bike with one being my low-weight option when I don't need to carry anything more than flat repair tools and don't plan on being out in the rain or dark.
Old 10-21-15, 10:29 AM
66Satellite

Bikes: 4 Merckx, 5 Bontragers and a bunch more...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bike that always has fenders on it.

If you only deal with rain on occasion, there are lots of good and cheap clip on options.
Old 10-21-15, 10:38 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Custom modded fenders, starting with 35mm longboards:

https://i.imgur.com/IGUUDZ5.jpg
Old 10-21-15, 10:39 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I have a few bikes with fenders. I find it easier to just get on a different bike than work on the fenders on the day I want to ride. Most of the dirt on your feet and chain come from the bottom of the front tire. Without a good flexible mud flap that almost hits the ground, fenders don't do what they are capable of. Two layers of tube glued together is flexible enough to go over a curb or even snow. I probably still have photos on the forum from years past. Try searching "fenders" or "mud guard flap".
Old 10-21-15, 10:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have Race Blades for my Ridley. It's definitely a compromise, but much better than the Cat 6 Stripe.
Old 10-21-15, 11:00 AM
SpikedLemon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read through the rain bike thread - I'm not into an n+1 situation for road bikes to have a dedicated bike for it. Though it may make me consider putting fenders onto the MTB rather than the roadbike - I still need to get it running first and it's not as nice to ride as my roadbike when commuting.
Old 10-21-15, 11:29 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Fenders that work well and don't come loose or misaligned are usually those not meant for frequent removal. I prefer full fenders that are always attached - especially for commuting and road riding. Off road, they can be a hazard.

I don't like frames that can't fit at least 32mm tyres along with full fenders and that don't have eyelets for mounting rear rack at least.
Old 10-21-15, 11:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I used a carpet seam binder similar to this home depot seam binder but a non-fluted one. Bend around the wheel, and just trim it narrower where it passes under the brakes. Using a thin steel rod for mounting struts.

I'm on my second year with these, no rattling never comes out of alignment.
Old 10-21-15, 12:26 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
For bikes without fender eyelets, PDW fenders are top of the line. With eyelets I like SKS P35.
Old 10-21-15, 12:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12816 Post(s)
Liked 7,748 Times in 4,107 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
With eyelets I like SKS P35.
I got some of these used, but they didn't come with a chainstay bridge hook. Anyone know where to get a chainstay bridge hook, or some other attachment method at that point?
Old 10-21-15, 12:44 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I got some of these used, but they didn't come with a chainstay bridge hook. Anyone know where to get a chainstay bridge hook, or some other attachment method at that point?
https://www.cambriabike.com/SKS-Chrom...Parts-7518.asp
Old 10-21-15, 01:09 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12816 Post(s)
Liked 7,748 Times in 4,107 Posts
Ahh, thanks. I searched but only found 'em at English and Euro shops.

Hmm, so they just have a 90° fitting, I think I might just cut down an L-bracket and bolt it to the fender myself.
Old 10-21-15, 09:07 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
My aluminum Defy is my de facto winter/rain bike so it has fenders on all year round. My carbon TCR is a fair weather bike, so it needs none (and has no provision for eyelet-mounted fenders anyway).

Keith
Old 10-21-15, 10:00 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I have a few bikes with fenders. I find it easier to just get on a different bike than work on the fenders on the day I want to ride. Most of the dirt on your feet and chain come from the bottom of the front tire. Without a good flexible mud flap that almost hits the ground, fenders don't do what they are capable of. Two layers of tube glued together is flexible enough to go over a curb or even snow. I probably still have photos on the forum from years past. Try searching "fenders" or "mud guard flap".
Same here. I live in Oregon which it rains about half the year. Because of that, I've got a rain bike. It's a Soma ES and it has proper mounts for a rear rack and fenders along with wider tires. I save my Roubaix for fair weather days. Makes life much simpler.
Old 10-21-15, 10:12 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a removable seatpost fender that I can change between my two bikes in about a minute, but I don't really ride my Allez in the rain.
Old 10-21-15, 10:21 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Here's a Fender on a road bike.

Old 10-21-15, 10:50 PM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this for my bart-station bike. Might be the same one San Pedro mentioned. I really like it. very adjustable, super quick to put on and take off and light.
I believe there's a front fender as well, but I have not used that one.
Amazon.com : SKS S-Blade Rear Fender for 700c wheels : Bike Fenders : Sports & Outdoors
Old 10-22-15, 12:43 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,041 Posts
Just to reiterate a couple of important points...

You want full coverage fenders if you're going to use fenders, because they work so well at keeping both you and your bike clean. You could totally half-ass it with a clip on rear fender to just prevent "the stripe", but your shoes and pant legs will get f***ed and your bike filthy.

Generally, taking full coverage fenders on/off seasonally ain't bad, but trying to do it as-needed on a daily basis sucks. Best is just to mount and leave them on.

SKS Longboards are great FC fenders, PlanetBike Cascadia also very good full cover. PDW has the Origami fenders if on/off is more important than coverage.

Use shaped fenders, and avoid flat ones; junk just spatters around the edges of flat ones.

My rain/winter bike is a racing frame with no provision for fenders in any sense: no mounts and no clearance. Using Crud Roadracer Mk.II fenders, the thinnest availble, I can mange just barely with 23c tires. They're not as durable as hard-mounted fenders-- Crud use o-rings to mount to bike, plastic screws/nuts to keep bits together, and zip ties to secure around brakes-- but the give good coverage in a tool-free design. Seasonal users may like that, the super low weight, and very trim look. I leave mine on all year round, and they're pretty good, brilliant for what they are. I think they're the sportiest looking, too. The real downside is that they're not as durable as others, so if you're locking up on racks and stuff like that, they're not the best choice.

Not a good pic, but here are my Crud RRs:

Old 10-22-15, 07:31 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Here's a Fender on a road bike.

He's tipped to one side, so clearly he's rocking and rolling at the same time.