Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gas Station Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 01:16 AM
ivan1347

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gas Station Air

Hello so recently I tried to fill up my rear back tire. i had no success in doing so, the wheel would not fill up. Does the valve need to be point out of the wheel a lot to be filled up, as in stick out of the wheel? I also just bought the bike, a Schwinn Sidewinder. If the wheel is the problem I may return it. I had filled it up, but the pump of the gas station didn't have a nice fit, I could feel the air not going in the Schrader valve from the bike.
Old 02-15-16, 02:52 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chuck on the end of the hose needs to both push down on the central pin of a Schrader valve and seal on the end of the valve stem for air to go in. You can try a regular floor pump and see if that works.
Old 02-15-16, 05:23 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan1347
Hey so I recently bought the sidewinder and I tried filling up the wheels with air, it doesn't really go in all the time. Should I return it?
YES!

Besides, gas station air is low grade air compared to bicycle air. You want the best, right?
Old 02-15-16, 07:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Yeah ... that gas station air is full of gas. Don't use it.

If you want to ride a bike and you don't have a floor pump, get one. You will most often be changing tubes/patching tubes at home, and you won't be able to ride to the gas station for air.

If you want, go back to the station and make really sure that everything is properly inserted and aligned. If the chuck (the end of the hose that goes over the valve) is not at just the right angle, air will leak out faster than it goes in. Also, try the front tire. if the back is defective, it is unlikely both would be ... and if they both are YES, take it back.

Take it back anyway, as I have suggested elsewhere ... ... but if you are dead set on keeping the bike, practice a bit with the air hose. Most likely it is simply not correctly aligned. Most bicycle floor pumps have a lock-on lever so that you put the valve in the chuck and flip a lever holding it in place. At a gas station, you need to hold it in place manually, and even a slight angle will flatten the tire faster than it inflates it.

Do consider buying a floor pump ... and a few new tubes, and a patch kit. Nothing quite like getting up late, hurrying to get ready, heading out to the bike and seeing a flat tire ... and not having a spare tube. (Been there, done that ... no one seems impressed when you say you missed an important appointment or came to work late because you had a flat tire.)
Old 02-15-16, 07:04 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
What brand of gas does the station sell? Some of the low price gas stations don't have good air.
Old 02-15-16, 07:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Hello so recently I tried to fill up my rear back tire.
maybe the station's pump only fit a front back tire, not a rear back tire. You might need a special pump.

We sure can be jerks here, sometimes, but we thing we're funny.

Well ... I think I am funny .....
Old 02-15-16, 07:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3601 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 1,947 Posts
I've found that many service stations' air chucks have seriously worn gaskets and don't seal well around the valve stem. This is less of a problem for automobile tires since they run at much lower pressure than most bicycle tires.
Old 02-15-16, 07:40 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Hello so recently I tried to fill up my rear back tire. i had no success in doing so, the wheel would not fill up. Does the valve need to be point out of the wheel a lot to be filled up, as in stick out of the wheel? I also just bought the bike, a Schwinn Sidewinder. If the wheel is the problem I may return it. I had filled it up, but the pump of the gas station didn't have a nice fit, I could feel the air not going in the Schrader valve from the bike.
Probably all that's wrong is the valve isn't sticking out of your rim enough. It may help if you push on the tire from the outer circumference.

If you've been riding for awhile with low air pressure, the valve is probably leaning over. If that's the case, your best bet is to completely deflate the tire and try to scoot it around the rim until the valve stem is straight again (a PITA job). If you don't do that, eventually your inner tube will tear at the base of the valve stem and you'll have to get a new inner tube.
Old 02-15-16, 08:24 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You might need a special pump.
When I used to have a problem with inflation, I went out and bought proprietary front tire and rear tire pumps. Problem solved.
Old 02-15-16, 09:00 AM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a compressor at home and a chuck that is in good shape. I never use it for the bicycle. Even a cheap floor pump is easier to use than a compressor. On a completely flat tire, I think it takes an extra 30 - 45 seconds to inflate the tire. A friend taught me to pump up the tires every time I ride so it is always a quick job to add air.
Old 02-15-16, 09:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
Does the valve need to be point out of the wheel a lot to be filled up, as in stick out of the wheel?
yes, you should be able to grasp the valve stem with 2 fingers from one hand while you snug the pump chuck securely onto it with your other hand. it's important to line it up and press it on straight and firm. sometimes to get a good fit you have to try a couple of times.

if the valve stem isn't sticking out of the wheel enough try to wiggle it and pull it up out and straight. if you can get it out but it's crooked, then the tube and tire need some attention to move it around a little like another poster said, and that might require deflating the tube enough so both the tube and tire can be adjusted to make the valve point straight and perpendicularly from the wheel

there are rare cases where a gas station chuck is so bad it doesn't make a tight fit on the valve. try another gas station.

but like others have said it's good to have your own pump at home.

ifyou you haven't resolved this on your own yet, take it to your local bike shop and ask advice in person. it helps to have someone right there, with you, showing you this ... good luck! :-)

this is bad but not that bad
https://i.stack.imgur.com/Cp0iV.jpg

this is good
https://i.stack.imgur.com/6QVwE.jpg

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-15-16 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 09:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18470 Post(s)
Liked 15,735 Times in 7,397 Posts
If the gas station also has a c-store the air will taste better.
Old 02-15-16, 09:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
YES!

Besides, gas station air is low grade air compared to bicycle air. You want the best, right?
I beg to differ with you on that. Most gas stations have water filters on their compressors so the air is dry and you dont get water in your tubes. The do this since most of them have air driven tools, and they dont want water in their tools.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-15-16 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 10:54 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't use that gas station pump air that you breath every time you inhale with such deadly consequences that you will eventually die. Instead you should go to a tire shop and have them charge you 2 loonies (Canadian dollars) to to fill the tire with a couple cents worth of compressed nitrogen from a compressed gas cylinder. Makes a lot of economic sense (for the tire station)! Get a floor pump with a gauge on it so you know how much pressure you are putting in the tire. Bet you didn't know about all of the fun accessories ($$) that were going to tempt you once you bought a bike. Prices range from under $20 to the sky's the limit. Examples: Floor Pump | Bike Floor Pump | Bicycle Pumps - Niagara Cycle

Last edited by VegasTriker; 02-15-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 11:05 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 3,967 Times in 2,577 Posts
OP, if your tire was dead flat, the problem may be as simple as just the valve being pushed so far into the tire that there is not enough left for the pump fitting. Solution is to 1) rotate the valve to the top. 2) press down on the tire with your thumb to press the valve out. Fit pump fitting on and go for it. (Now a gas station fitting may well have a worn gasket as JohnDThompson said in post #7 .)

I have the same issue with my Specialized floor pump with deepish rims and shorter valves. (On some wheels I cheat and start the inflation with a frame pump.)

Ben
Old 02-15-16, 11:15 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has no one suggested you may have a leak or fully exploded tube. Maybe we were thrown off by the fact he knew he had Schrader vlve. If I pump air in my tire and it doesn't go up that's what I 1st think. Tubes can pop easily even on a new bike if not properly inflated to begin with or it could be a cheap tube but even cheap tubes should function. No clue as to the niceness of the Schwinn but replacing a tube even early is no big deal.
Old 02-15-16, 11:22 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Was a nice laugh. I enjoyed this thread.
Old 02-15-16, 12:22 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
If the tire was inflated with the schrader valve pushed in and at an angle, you could have separated the valve from the tube and it will never inflate even if restored to the correct position. Several people have suggested that. If you don't want to take the bike back, pull the tube and try to inflate it outside of the tire. You will know immediately if there is a hole in the tube or valve separation. If this is a brand new bike, the person who assembled it may have pinched the tube when they assembled the bike. While this occasionally happens with a competent mechanic at a bike shop, it is a lot more likely if Joe Blow, the bike assembler at the mass merchandiser, assembled the bike. If it is brand new, take the bike back for a free repair.
Old 02-15-16, 12:35 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
All kidding aside, gas station air may have a bunch of moisture/water inside it. I prefer using a bike pump with integrated gauge, or my own garage compressor with automatic electronic drain and desiccant drier canister on the air line. Just set the air regulator to the pressure you need in the tires, and hold it on the valve until you hear no more air flowing.
Old 02-15-16, 01:30 PM
ivan1347

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, so I deflated it all the way and had the valve stick out correctly and filled it up with a hAnd pump. It should all be good right?
Old 02-15-16, 02:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
LBS Air = good; Walmart or evil Gasoline Company Air= bad; all Real Serious Cyclists™ know this.
Old 02-15-16, 02:14 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
LBS Air = good; Walmart or evil Gasoline Company Air= bad; all Real Serious Cyclists™ know this.
Pfffff...I get my air from Amazon or a UK online store. I have a hose attached to my computer.
Old 02-15-16, 02:52 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Alright, so I deflated it all the way and had the valve stick out correctly and filled it up with a hAnd pump. It should all be good right?
As long as you have enough air, so you don't get pinch flats whet hitting holes, rocks etc...

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-15-16, 03:16 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Being a bit of a weight weenie, I like to use light weight air that has a lot of carbon fiber in it. Rust belt air tends to contain a lot of heavy metals.
Old 02-15-16, 03:22 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Being a bit of a weight weenie, I like to use light weight air that has a lot of carbon fiber in it. Rust belt air tends to contain a lot of heavy metals.
To get it as light as possible, you want to fill your tubes with vacuum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.