Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

best practices for NOS hub with WTB grease port

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 08:47 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I needed to find a 7-speed hub for my folding bike and bought a NOS hub with WTB grease ports. What is recommended practice for re-greasing such a hub? I assume the grease needs to be flushed and replaced. What is the best way to flush the old grease? Soak the hub in mineral spirits for a few days and then inject mineral spirits into the port until what leaks out runs clear?

This article

https://www.bearingtips.com/shelf-li...gs-lubricants/

talks about the shelf-life of grease.
Old 04-15-20, 09:20 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You pump grease into the wheel until clean grease comes out. I overhaul my shimano hubs every 2500 miles.
Old 04-15-20, 09:24 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
You pump grease into the wheel until clean grease comes out. I overhaul my shimano hubs every 2500 miles.
+1 Injecting mineral spirits may eventually get the old grease out but the remaining amount will break down the new grease.
Old 04-15-20, 09:42 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Ideal would be to pull off the bearing seals and flush out the old before refilling with fresh. Second is injecting solvent then air then fresh grease. What most will do is fine, just inject fresh periodically. These hubs and headsets are very nice parts. Andy
Old 04-15-20, 11:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by timo888
I needed to find a 7-speed hub for my folding bike and bought a NOS hub with WTB grease ports. What is recommended practice for re-greasing such a hub? I assume the grease needs to be flushed and replaced. What is the best way to flush the old grease? Soak the hub in mineral spirits for a few days and then inject mineral spirits into the port until what leaks out runs clear?

This article

https://www.bearingtips.com/shelf-li...gs-lubricants/

talks about the shelf-life of grease.
What hub did you buy? Considering the age of the old grease (even if the hub is NOS as claimed), it would be worthwhile to completely take it apart and clean it, if possible.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 04-15-20 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 12:21 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I know we've got too much time on our hands, but some of us are way overthinking this. The grease inside the hub may be dried, but it isn't going to hurt anything. Mixing the old with new grease will not result in any harm. Worst case: that the insides of the hub is somehow contaminated and filled with plutonium dust, but inserting your grease injector and pumping away will remove at least 90% of it. Then take a spin around the block and wipe up the stuff that oozes out each side. That's not clean enough? Then repeat; now you're at 99% clean.

I decided to service my 80's Campagnolo hubs yesterday. I inserted my auto bearing grease injector into each port and spritzed away. After a few miles on the bike, the excess that oozed out was clean as new. There: I am done for another year.

My injector cost about $10. The auto wheel bearing grease tubes cost about $5 each and for last years. Or you can buy the exact same grease formulation at a bike shop and pay 3 times as much for a third of the volume.
Old 04-15-20, 12:34 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Grease Guard hubs are of a standard cone design with the outer dust shield replaced with a loose fitting grease seal, and a couple of additional grease seals on the inside to prevent grease from filling up the hub. They are just like any other cone style hub to disassemble and clean, just be careful when pulling the axle out to prevent damaging the internal seals. I would pull them apart and clean out the old grease rather than soaking the hub in solvent. With the solvent you risk damaging either the inner seal or outer seal, and I really don't think it will clean them out that well. If you don't want to take them apart just pump them full of grease until you get clean grease coming out. They will ooze a little grease out when you use them, just get used to wiping if off after a ride.

WTB had a special grease for them that contained Teflon. The Teflon prevented squeaking of the seals, particularly if you had a GG BB. As far as I know it is no longer available, the closest substitute is Finish Line Premium Grease with Teflon.