Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rudelli head, tapered rollers, vs Campagnolo Victory

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 03:58 PM
DiTBho

Bikes: Moser Forma/Campagnolo 8sp, Litespeed Classic/Campagnolo 8sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

(Rudelli Headset, 1")

Completely different approaches and materials, what do you think is the best one for a road bicycle?
Old 04-23-24, 12:26 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 540 Posts
Sometimes, it pays to go with the simpler component, as it will more likely be more reliable.
the Rudelli looks cool, but it seems to be "over-engineered", compared to the Victory headset.
Being such, the Rudelli might be harder to service and maintain, in the long run......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 04-23-24, 02:42 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,938 Posts
Tapered roller bearings combine high load-handling with low friction, but are pretty fussy about alignment. Cylindrical roller bearing like used in the Stronglight A9 and Tange RollerDrive have similar load handling to tapered rollers, but slightly higher friction because of sliding contact along the roller. This makes them less costly than tapered rollers and the floating races on the Stronglight and Tange units make them more tolerant of misalignment than tapered rollers. Since a headset is not in constant rotation like a hub or bottom bracket, the slight friction isn't a functional issue. The Campagnolo Victory is essentially a Campagnolo Gran Sport headset with slightly different cosmetics. The races are parabolic ground to allow minor misalignment, and use standard balls. While not as durable in principle as a roller bearing headset, it is entirely acceptable durability in use and lower friction than either roller bearing design.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-23-24, 03:22 PM
DiTBho

I can buy a brand new (NOS) Rudelli for 50 euro, while a Campy Victory (NOS) is about 130 euro, and very difficult to find.
I'm carefully considering the purchase, but I also wanted to understand on a principle level what was better.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-25-24, 02:47 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Tapered roller bearings combine high load-handling with low friction, but are pretty fussy about alignment. Cylindrical roller bearing like used in the Stronglight A9 and Tange RollerDrive have similar load handling to tapered rollers, but slightly higher friction because of sliding contact along the roller. This makes them less costly than tapered rollers and the floating races on the Stronglight and Tange units make them more tolerant of misalignment than tapered rollers. Since a headset is not in constant rotation like a hub or bottom bracket, the slight friction isn't a functional issue. The Campagnolo Victory is essentially a Campagnolo Gran Sport headset with slightly different cosmetics. The races are parabolic ground to allow minor misalignment, and use standard balls. While not as durable in principle as a roller bearing headset, it is entirely acceptable durability in use and lower friction than either roller bearing design.
rollers or tapered rollers? Stronglight are rollers, not tapered. I don’t really know about Rudelli, but I’ve measured Stronglight needles, and they are not tapered to a degree I can measure with a digital caliper.

does it make a difference? Not sure but I think the Stronglight setup should be cheaper to manufacture. If accurately made, I’d think the Rudelli would be slightly smoother.
Old 04-25-24, 02:50 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by DiTBho
I can buy a brand new (NOS) Rudelli for 50 euro, while a Campy Victory (NOS) is about 130 euro, and very difficult to find.
I'm carefully considering the purchase, but I also wanted to understand on a principle level what was better.

Thanks guys!
where can I get that deal? I thought they would be a lot higher!
Old 04-25-24, 05:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Road Fan
rollers or tapered rollers? Stronglight are rollers, not tapered.
Yes, that's why I referred to the Stronglight and Tange rollers as "cylindrical rollers."

does it make a difference?
It makes a small difference. The difference in track radius from the inner end of a cylindrical roller to the outer end of a cylindrical roller means that some parts of the roller will be in sliding contact with the race instead of rolling contact. A tapered roller addresses this by having a different radius on the roller ends, smaller at the inner end and larger at the outer end, so the entire length of the roller is in rolling contact with the race, resulting in lower friction in the bearing. But as I noted in my previous comment, it's not a meaningful difference for a headset, since a headset is not in constant rotation, like a hub or bottom bracket bearing would be.

Not sure but I think the Stronglight setup should be cheaper to manufacture. If accurately made, I’d think the Rudelli would be slightly smoother.
Yes, as I pointed out earlier, cylindrical rollers are less costly to implement and more forgiving of minor misalignment than tapered rollers.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 04-25-24 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-25-24, 10:45 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 398 Posts
My experience with roller headsets is very limited, but the ones I've seen appeared to be more prone to "brinelling" than ball bearing headsets. Could it be?
Old 04-26-24, 04:27 AM
DiTBho

Originally Posted by Road Fan
where can I get that deal? I thought they would be a lot higher!
which one? the Rudelli or the Victory?
  • Rudelli headset, from an Italian dude on eBay, who works as a professional photographer, but occasionally cleans out warehouses, and sometimes finds interesting things, in NOS/mint conditions.
  • Victory headset, for the titanium bike I'm building, I got one from a craftsman who paints steel frames and builds handcrafted forks. He has a few things in stock, and if he is int the right moon - it can help if you also commission him a NivaCrom steel fork - he'll give you great prices for the rest too. He said that 120 euro NOS with its original box was a really good price, and that he couldn't do better. True, because on eBay I have seen prices above 200 euros
one of my friends has some headphones that he bought as good deal some headsets as just in case bicycles assembly, I mean if happens, you are ready with some parts - but which he probably won't use:
  • Atena 1" headeset, NOS, English threaded, paid 80 euro
  • Mirage 1997 1" headset, NOS, English threaded, paid 40 euro
Three days before Christmas 2023, I picked up the Moser Forma bike I talked about it and I put a photo in another topic here (click) on the forum, and, then, having to replace the headstem with a shorter one (from 120mm to 95mm), I found the a Rudelli headset installed. unfortunately damaged. So, I looking around, I found, by sheer luck, one on eBay NOS as a good deal.

edit:
link, typos

Last edited by DiTBho; 04-26-24 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-26-24, 04:28 AM
DiTBho

Originally Posted by Reynolds
My experience with roller headsets is very limited, but the ones I've seen appeared to be more prone to "brinelling" than ball bearing headsets. Could it be?
which model/brand?
Old 04-26-24, 12:37 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by DiTBho
which model/brand?
I don't remember, it was some years ago.
Old 04-26-24, 01:06 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 669 Posts
that's a real neat part, I especially like the colleted upper nut that compresses as you tighten it.

that said, I would not install that on a bike I was going to ride. No spare parts available and more complicated than it needs to be.

I have had VERY good luck with the Stronglight A9 roller headsets, 1000s of trouble free miles. On several bikes I just use the lower portion, leaving the upper cup Campagnolo parts in place

ALSO - the comment about alignment of the headtube faces - the Stronglight A9 and I beleive this Rudelli unit, have conical "slip plates" that make them more tolerant of minor mis-alignment. The Galli headset with it's true tapered roller bearings required very accurate headtube facing. This unit should not require any special treatment in that regard.

/markp

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 04-26-24 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-26-24, 04:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Are you referring to the fretting damage that leads to "indexed steering?" My experience is the opposite: ball bearing headsets suffer fretting damage much more readily than roller bearing headsets. I actually did an experiment with a Stronglight A9 roller bearing headset, where I installed it on my commuter bike and rode it in all sorts of weather and conditions without doing any maintenance, for 20 years (1986 to 2006), then opened it up and examined the races. The only thing I could see was slight discoloration on the lower races. I swapped upper and lower races and repacked it, and will take another look in 2026 to see how it has fared (although, since I retired in 2016, it's not getting ridden as much these days).
Old 04-26-24, 04:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I have had VERY good luck with the Stronglight A9 roller headsets, 1000s of trouble free miles. On several bikes I just use the lower portion, leaving the upper cup Campagnolo parts in place
That's essentially what the Tange "RollerDrive" headset is: cylindrical rollers on the bottom race for load handling, balls on the upper race since the upper race only serves to maintain alignment,

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/297...gory=979#attr=

The Galli headset with it's true tapered roller bearings required very accurate headtube facing.

Only the early Galli headsets used tapered roller bearings; later ones were rebranded Stronglight A9s, probably because of the alignment fussiness of the tapered roller version.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 04-26-24 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-26-24, 11:00 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 540 Posts
I'd always choose the Stronglight A9 headset over any headset. They are smooth and lasts forever with minimum adjustments.
they are also quite simple and the needle bearings are still available oit there if you ever need them. Same goes gor the top and bottom steel races Just keep them lubricated and they can last the life of the bike. The oldest one I have is the original one on my 1984 Peugeot PSV. It is still going strong to this day.

Last edited by Chombi1; 04-27-24 at 02:15 AM.