Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crack formed where carbon seat stay bonds to aluminum, superficial or worrysome?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Crack formed where carbon seat stay bonds to aluminum, superficial or worrysome?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 01:41 AM
colidog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jamis Nova Pro frame, noticed a crack above the carbon seat stay, presumably where the aluminum is bonded to the carbon. Is this a superficial crack due to natural flex, or is it a deeper structural issue? Taking in to my LBS for closer inspection, but wanted your opinion. Pictures are on imgur here: https://imgur.com/a/1HWmj

thanks!
Old 07-26-12, 02:02 AM
fun2none

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would not trust that frame. The crack may be the only warning you are going to get before catastrophic failure. Try to get a warranty replacement.
Old 07-26-12, 02:10 AM
jimc101

Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Does the crack extend all the way around? does is move if pressure is applied? hard to tell what it is from the photo.

As long as you are the original owner, then it's not an issue, as Jamis have a lifetime warranty on the frame, would suspect they would replace, as with out x-raying the crack, it's hard to tell how far it goes through.

If it was mine, would be concerned, and stop using it.
Old 07-26-12, 02:38 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 732 Times in 519 Posts
It's almost certainly the spot where the carbon stays join the monostay; my feeling is it's not about to get any worse in a hurry, particularly if it doesn't make any noise.

That joint is in compression; I used to have a CFR1 with ally lugs and carbon tubes, and after having it a few years I noticed the bond between the seat tube and seat cluster had separated, and the tube had actually moved out of the joint by something like 3/4 of a mm. This joint sees tension, particularly when landing off a gutter or whatever, and you might expect the frame would rapidly self-destruct as a result, but it stayed the same for another year or two before it was pinched.

So I'd say it prolly looks a lot worse than it is, even though I doubt the crack is superficial and suspect the whole bond has let go. Likely a simple repair, but obviously if you're the first owner all this is academic.
Old 07-26-12, 05:27 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with those who won't ride that frame. This is why I've never trusted frames made with two different materials, especially a metal and carbon (which most of them are made of). If no problem(s) with the metal properties themselves working against each other, there are sometimes adhesive issues.
Old 07-26-12, 06:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Head down to the dealer .. for closer, on site, inspection..
Old 07-26-12, 06:04 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
Is Kimmo right that the frame won't destruct catastrophically and it's ok to ride it for a while? Probably. Would I ride it in that condition? Not a chance.

I hope you are the original owner and can document the purchase. Warranty time for sure.
Old 07-26-12, 07:43 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It looks like the joint between the carbon and aluminum was painted over. Maybe that's the paint cracking over the joint. I'd take steps to find out before tossing the frame. Of course, the dealer would probably know where the joint was.
Old 07-26-12, 09:35 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bring it to the shop where you bought it.

Those frame probably cost Jamis $100 each to import from Taiwan or China... If you are the original owner then you are covered under the warranty and they will almost definitely send you a new frame.
Old 07-26-12, 10:37 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If its under warranty take it back have it taken care of if not you can have it fixed were do you live?
And take this advice Here not ours here LOL
Old 07-27-12, 07:43 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 732 Times in 519 Posts
If it's not still under warranty, https://www.calfeedesign.com/repair/

Originally Posted by HillRider
Is Kimmo right that the frame won't destruct catastrophically and it's ok to ride it for a while? Probably. Would I ride it in that condition? Not a chance.
I'd wrap my hand around the joint with someone else standing on the bike to flex it, and feel for movement first.
Old 12-28-17, 11:52 AM
kandakov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so was this a paint crack or a crack in the frame? . I have Jamis Dakota '07 and it looks the same at the spot where carbon meets alu... I've also noticed Jamis put stickers on that spot, probably to hide those paint cracks....
Old 12-28-17, 12:14 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Liked 579 Times in 393 Posts
The thread is 5 years old.

Most (or all?) carbon stays attached to an aluminum frame would have the end of the stay formed into a carbon plug glued inside the aluminum tube. It should be safe enough, it's essentially just a cosmetic crack.

You might try pulling apart the gap with one hand on the frame and one on the carbon stay, to see if the crack opens up at all. Riders have tried regluing those completely loose plugs, but it's not easy to make a permanent glue job.

the original photo:

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-28-17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-01-18, 10:13 PM
colidog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, it's OP. Weird to get a notification after 5 years.

I had purchased the frame on Ebay. Took it to a bike shop and they scored a small patch of the paint down to the frame, where it was clear that the crack was not just superficial but actually extended into the frame. I returned the frame to the seller and bought another.