Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hanging bags from hood

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hanging bags from hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-23, 10:48 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You are bad at math.
Honestly kind of surpised that you won't or can't do the math that shows how my wage compares with the current inflation rates. Its not very hard. (hint: it doesn't keep up)

Frankly though, looking harder at who it is, im not surprised that you can't do the math

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-15-23 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 10:58 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Honestly kind of surpised that you won't or can't do the math that shows how my wage compares with the current inflation rates. Its not very hard. (hint: it doesn't keep up)
You aren’t poor.

If you can pull 81k, you shouldn’t be the absolute mess you keep telling people you are.

It’s going to be a hard sell to have people feel sorry for you.

Especially, with the endless BS-ing you do here.

It’s time to grow up.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-15-23, 11:14 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You aren’t poor.

If you can pull 81k, you shouldn’t be the absolute mess you keep telling people you are.

It’s going to be a hard sell to have people feel sorry for you.

Especially, with the endless BS-ing you do here.

It’s time to grow up.
Is it that you can’t do the math, or will you just not do the math? I can help you if you want, I get that math can be difficult

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-15-23 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 11:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
I cannot afford a car, and share a room with 3 grown men. Not a house, a room.
But yet you can afford a $3K Wilier, at least in part from raiding the food bank?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-15-23, 11:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
But yet you can afford a $3K Wilier, at least in part from raiding the food bank?
Food bank didn’t help with the wilier, had 0$ then I deposited some checks (don’t trust direct deposite so i get paper checks)

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-15-23 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 11:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

The bikes stores were closing, the bike shop I went to told me that the bike I rode in on would probably fail catastrophically in the next few blocks. I went to the best bike shop in town, because why wouldn't I. I got a $150 single speed there before but know they mainly sell high end racing bikes.
To answer your question (which I have bolded), you wouldn't because you should have prioritized food and rent.

My job told me I needed to get in at 6 in the morning the next day. I dont drive or use uber

I asked for the cheapest bike that fit me and it was a 3k wilier. I don't even like it and think its a shoddily made plastic thing thats uncomfortable to ride but wicked fast.
Despite making a rash decision to buy something which you cannot afford and do not even really like because you are against all other available forms of transportation in principle, you still claim financial literacy based on 5s on a couple of AP exams?

I don't regret it, soon you will see that 3k is nothing when they devalue our currency more and more. No point in saving
One combats currency devaluation by saving and/or investing at a rate of return that would exceed or at least offset the devaluation, not by buying a depreciating asset and screwing it up with ill-gotten gains from the local food bank. A CF bike is not going to depreciate slower than the devaluation of the U.S. currency, especially not with you as its rider. Even I realize this, and I only got a 4 on the AP economics (don't remember which one I took, it was way too long ago).
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-15-23, 11:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Food bank didn’t help with the wilier, had 0$ then I deposited some checks (don’t trust direct deposite so i get paper checks)
I understand that even a "rich people" food bank does not hand out Italian-branded road bikes, but are you really trying to justify the food bank visit by explaining that that you had no money during the visit but later cashed some checks in order to buy a $3K bike!?
Old 11-16-23, 12:07 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
One combats currency devaluation by saving and/or investing at a rate of return that would exceed or at least offset the devaluation
smelly, I gave you my salary and location. I’ve repeatedly said to do the math. I’ve repeatedly contended that I cannot outpace the devaluation.

if you cannot do the math, you can race me on a bicycle at Canada and 92, or appoint a champion in your stead. If you don’t live next to me, you can play me in chess. If you can’t do the math, and won’t engage me, then **** off dude.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-16-23 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-16-23, 12:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
if you cannot do the math, you can race me on a bicycle at Canada and 92, or appoint a champion in your stead. If you don’t live next to me, you can play me in chess. If you can’t do the math, and won’t engage me, then **** off dude.
This reads like a Monty Python skit.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-16-23, 12:59 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

smelly, I gave you my salary and location. I’ve repeatedly said to do the math. I’ve repeatedly contended that I cannot outpace the devaluation.
Let's assume arguendo that you are right that you cannot outpace the devaluation (or is it just inflation) at $81K annually. But blowing what little disposable income you have on a $3K bike (instead of rent or food) just traps you further in that vicious cycle.

As so many others have pointed out, your ability to beat me at either cycling or chess is totally irrelevant to either the moral issue of raiding the local food bank or whether it is possible to improve your lot in life by making better choices. Telling me and other to (presumably) "step" off changes nothing. To the extent that you expect approval for gaming the system or "sticking it to the man," stop being delusional.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-16-23, 04:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
This reads like a Monty Python skit.
“Spam, eggs, sausage and Spam.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-23, 07:04 AM
indyfabz

If you knew my financial situation, you would be ashamed. Have had close to zero savings my entire adult life.
Pro tip: Less time trolling BF. More time improving your position.

If that doesn't add up, you are not as good at math as you claim to be.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-23, 07:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Shame on anyone gatekeeping my access to the food bank, it has improved my nutrition, you should be ashamed of yourselves. It’s rather disgusting.
Like most people these days who get called out for reprehensible behavior, you're quick to pull the "gatekeeping" gun out of your holster. You're the one doing the gatekeeping here.

Last edited by Trakhak; 11-16-23 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-16-23, 07:21 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
That's just not how it works, and I see this argument all the time by chancers. Admittedly usually teenagers who try that "Hey dad I spent all my money on cigarettes and can't afford rent, can you help?"

You're sort of correct in that the food bank didn't pay for the Wilier directly, but it paid for it indirectly by freeing up money to buy the Wilier. If you didn't use the food bank, would you have bought the bike?

Making a huge luxury purchase and then abusing a foodbank is just reprehensible.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 11-16-23, 07:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked 5,446 Times in 2,769 Posts
Despite how unjust Larry's raise may seem, there could be an upside. With more income he may be able to acquire the occasional "girlfriend" and move past the incel life. Perhaps he'll then be less angry and resentful, less inclined to annoy his betters on the road and on BF. We can hope!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-16-23, 07:29 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Herzlos
Making a huge luxury purchase and then abusing a foodbank is just reprehensible.
Or "rather disgusting", to use his own words.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-23, 07:31 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
also people who spend all their money on drugs are homeless and need the food bank desperately. Some of these commenters seem very isolated from the realities of poverty. The homeless alcoholics can’t get to this food bank; the quality of the food and the location are suspect and call into question the intended users of the food bank.
You can understand the difference between an addict needing food to avoid starving, and a man who makes nearly double the national average salary trying to use a food bank to buy a bike that costs more than many used cars?

If you don't have any savings, which seems incredible giving your salary and living arrangements, then it's purely down to you having the same reckless approach to money as you do to personal safety.

Like, it's special level of recklessness to buy a $3k bike to get to work the next day instead of a few days of $20 Ubers until you can pick up a cheaper bike. There's no rational basis for buying the Wilier beyond a lack of care. Why not go to one of the cheaper bike shops? Even if it was just before closing you could have called to see what you could pick up the next day?

I thought you had a small fleet of bikes in various states of disrepair anyway?
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 11-16-23, 07:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
This is truly the gift that keeps on giving!

Larry, you didn't give me a zip code, but said you're near Canada College? Is that Redwood City? If so, then yes, your income is between low and very low. Do you quality for Section 8 housing, and other legit benefits? SNAP benefits, maybe? Have you ever looked into it? Have you considered moving to a more affordable area?

Housing should be about 30% of your gross income, meaning you can afford about $2,000/month (your bike would have covered at least a month and a half of rent). According to Apartments.com, those studio apartments are available in the area.

By the way, I've got a great pea soup recipe that only costs a couple bucks, but might last you almost a week. Came from Split Pea Andersen's, down the road in Buelton. Nutritious and cheap. Let me know if you want it.

Last edited by smd4; 11-16-23 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-16-23, 07:57 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Is it that you can’t do the math, or will you just not do the math? I can help you if you want, I get that math can be difficult
You impulsively spent $3000 on a bike you can’t afford. Your math ability doesn’t look so good.

If you bought food instead of getting it from the food bank, you wouldn't have had $3000 for the bike. You are bad at math.

========================

Again...

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-16-23 at 08:18 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-16-23, 08:22 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
We've crossed into the absurd in this thread. Larry's problems are clearly the result of his own poor financial and life decisions. He's not poor by any stretch of the imagination, he just makes poor choices.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-16-23, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Based upon the way you have portrayed yourself, if I were you, I would trust "direct deposite" [sic] more than I would trust myself.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-23, 09:06 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Wow this thread took a weird turn. Last time I saw it was when it was still on its first page!

This Larry guy is clearly autistic. Not saying it as an insult. He is clearly medically autistic. He mentions visiting his parents. This is probably some young guy whose condition is running amok now that nobody is watching him.

You guys should all just lay off.
Old 11-16-23, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by yan
you guys should all just lay step off.
fify
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-23, 09:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
This Larry guy is clearly autistic ... You guys should all just lay off.
Being "on the spectrum" is becoming the modern-day excuse for the inability to get along with others. Of course, it's almost always "undiagnosed" when used as an excuse.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-16-23, 09:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
This thread is the sort of high-quality content that keeps me coming back to bf.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.