Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How long for Specialized to rule on warranty?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 01:50 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

I suffered a broken (cracked) wheel yesterday. Was going to order a new set, but my Specialized dealer felt confident that I could get some warranty discount on the new purchase. That requires waiting for Specialized to make a ruling, which delays getting it fixed. I accept that, but just curious whether this is a drawn=out process, or whether they make a decision quickly on these things. I had to send a photo of the wheel damage.
Old 02-11-24, 01:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If you are wanting to ride today or in the next few days, then yes this will be a long drawn out process.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-11-24, 01:55 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Get a new wheel-set, and if the warranty comes though, you will have two wheel-sets, which is always a good thing.

I have no experience with Specialized, but in general there is little incentive for them to expedite the process.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-11-24, 02:24 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Get a new wheel-set, and if the warranty comes though, you will have two wheel-sets, which is always a good thing.

I have no experience with Specialized, but in general there is little incentive for them to expedite the process.
That sounds both realistic and practical.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 02-11-24, 05:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Specialized is usually reasonably quick with warranty. Typically they respond in 5 business days and sometimes sooner. It can take time for stuff to come in and sometimes it takes a little time but it is warranty as long as you are relaxed it will go by fairly quickly I find the people who freak out tend to have a slower time and not that anything is delayed but that you worry too much and feel like it is slower even if the same time.

Get a different wheelset maybe something in aluminum or something handbuilt to your specs.
Old 02-11-24, 06:14 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
If it works the way it did when I managed a Specialized dealership, you might have to wait for the Specialized regional sales rep to show up for the next scheduled visit. Dealers in big cities and dealers who move a lot of Specialized products might see the rep more frequently. Those dealers sometimes also get gray-area warranty claims approved that might not have been approved for dealers with less clout.

I hope the shop person who encouraged you to try going the warranty route is the manager or owner and not, e.g., a fairly new hire. Some shop employees can be prone to excessive enthusiasm about warranties, which can lead to awkward situations if the warranty claim is refused.
Old 02-11-24, 06:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Didn’t you ask the dealer? Presumably this is not their first warranty claim.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-11-24, 06:38 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
just ask your dealer. the only warranty issue I ever had with a specialized bike took a few days for them to agree it was a warranty repair, but the part wasn’t in stock (pandemic) so it took a couple weeks.
Old 02-11-24, 06:42 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
No back up bike to hold you over?
Old 02-12-24, 01:24 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
A ruling? So now these mfers have non-public courts to determine the culpability of their disposabikes?
I guess if you guys are willing to keep buying plastic-fantastic, there's no point in them doing other than they do.
GTFO my lawn.
Old 02-12-24, 03:33 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Don't forget the back up for the back up!
Old 02-12-24, 05:35 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
A ruling? So now these mfers have non-public courts to determine the culpability of their disposabikes?
I guess if you guys are willing to keep buying plastic-fantastic, there's no point in them doing other than they do.
GTFO my lawn.
You never bought anything with a limited warranty? Sorry sir, I threw my bike off a cliff in a fit of pique and now I’d like a new frame plz.
Old 02-12-24, 06:07 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
You never bought anything with a limited warranty? Sorry sir, I threw my bike off a cliff in a fit of pique and now I’d like a new frame plz.
Because throwing bikes off cliffs is what riders do?
I once snapped a Felt CF frame sprinting across lanes to make a left-turn in traffic. They honored the warranty, but I never trusted the replacement for anything other than rollers duty. After a few years of sweating on it, the bottle-cage bosses started to bubble and swell. Disposabike.
I've also lost a lot of skin in multiple USCF criterium pile-ups on a steel bike. (86 Schwinn Peloton). Picked pieces of gravel out of my wounds, sometimes my body would eject the little pieces of rock a week later.
A lot of lost skin and a lot of lost paint off that Columbus frame, but the word "warranty" never entered the conversation.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-12-24, 06:19 AM
Trakhak

I once snapped a Felt CF frame sprinting across lanes to make a left-turn in traffic. They honored the warranty, but I never trusted the replacement for anything other than rollers duty. After a few years of sweating on it, the bottle-cage bosses started to bubble and swell. Disposabike.
Interesting. I've rarely seen bubbling like that on a carbon frame. I've seen plenty of steel frames with rust forming under the paint at top tube brazeons and other locations, though. If you don't take care of it, any bike can turn into a disposabike.
Old 02-12-24, 06:34 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

Yep, that's the unfortunate truth about warranty claims. When you're buying a brand new product, they always bragg about how strong their warranty is. What they don't tell you is how long the claim process can be.

Same thing goes for extended warranties when you purchase goods with your credit card. The claim process takes forever. It's a real joke.
Old 02-12-24, 07:03 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Because throwing bikes off cliffs is what riders do?
I've also lost a lot of skin in multiple USCF criterium pile-ups on a steel bike. (86 Schwinn Peloton). Picked pieces of gravel out of my wounds, sometimes my body would eject the little pieces of rock a week later.
A lot of lost skin and a lot of lost paint off that Columbus frame, but the word "warranty" never entered the conversation.
I’ve sweated on my carbon frame on the trainer enough to completely rust the cage bolts (I added a towel over the top tube when I noticed) but the frame shrugged it off.

Thanks for reminding me why I’m way too old to race

p.s. I heard this guy warrantied his frame
https://youtu.be/

Last edited by choddo; 02-12-24 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-12-24, 07:29 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by eduskator
Yep, that's the unfortunate truth about warranty claims. When you're buying a brand new product, they always brag about how strong their warranty is. What they don't tell you is how long the claim process can be.

Same thing goes for extended warranties when you purchase goods with your credit card. The claim process takes forever. It's a real joke.
Confining the topic to warranties in the bike market:

There have been many threads on bike frame warranties over the years. Most have reported very good experiences, where the claim was processed within a few weeks and the bike owner received a new frame. In many cases, the frame received is a newer, upgraded frame because the original frame was long since out of production. Often, the bike owner was offered a choice between a new frame and a credit toward a new bike purchase.

By the way, during the years I worked in bike shops, if you had, say, a Bianchi bike that, e.g., cracked at the seat tube/top tube/seat stay lug because the guy in the factory had overheated the joint, your frame would have been replaced under warranty.

If you bought the bike in the U.S., that is. Not if you bought it in Europe.

Things have probably changed in the last few decades, but there was a long stretch of time where no European bike manufacturers offered frame warranties.

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-12-24 at 07:33 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-12-24, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
The WHEEL cracked. R.C.I.F.
Old 02-12-24, 08:33 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
RCIF means "Reading Comprehension Is Fundamental?"

asking for a friend
Old 02-12-24, 09:42 AM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by stevel610
Unfortunately I'm out of town for 3 weeks. Backup bike is 6 hours away.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 02-12-24, 11:53 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
RCIF means "Reading Comprehension Is Fundamental?"

asking for a friend
Or Rational Capital Investment Fund according to Google!

Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Unfortunately I'm out of town for 3 weeks. Backup bike is 6 hours away.
That's unfortunate. A 2nd / backup bike is only useful when it's near.
Old 02-12-24, 12:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,300 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Whether or not he ever bought anything with a limited warranty is irrelevant -- the only purpose of his post is to provoke reactions.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-12-24, 09:44 PM
CoogansBluff

Well, the good news is that I got a very quick answer from Specialized.

Bad news is that it was a no. I knew it was past warranty, but dealer made it sound like I had a good chance of getting at least a discount on the new ones.

But that's fine. Means I could go ahead and order a new wheelset that could have me up and running by the weekend. And I ordered nicer wheels than I had, so I look forward to trying them out.
Likes For CoogansBluff: