Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reason for lack of "entry" level Aluminum bikes with Tiagra/105?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 03:25 PM
tai1fob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

hi All,
Some of you may have seen my post asking buying used 10 year old superbike or a brand new aluminum bike with Tiagra/105, and I am now in the process of finding the right inventory at my local shop.

To my surprise, the inventory level for bikes like Trek Domane AL4/5, Canyon Endurance, Cannondale Synapse 105 are all extremely low at shops within reasonable distance, almost feels like trying to buy a car during the height of the pandemic.

Btw, I am in the PNW/Seattle area, so does the inventory have to do with seasonality? are riders in warmer regions facing the same inventory issues?

OR, shops are trying to get rid of old inventory, and waiting for new model for the year to come in? so it's just a bad timing for me to be shopping at this time of the year?

OR, the cycling business still facing the same supply chain issues started with the pandemic?

lastly, I am quiet surprised at the "lack" of used bikes to buy on marketplace like facebook and craigslist, I thought many people got into biking during the pandemics, and many stopped riding and started to dump their bikes online, but that's just not the case for me in my region.

Not really trying to get a definitive answer of any kind, I am just very curious at the dynamic of cycling business, especially from what I read in news report doesn't really line up with what I am seeing in the marketplace.

I'd like to heard thoughts from seasoned riders! cheers!
Old 02-25-24, 03:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
We are in winter now so they probably haven't gotten the spring/summer stock yet however they can likely order you something. I wouldn't hold out for Tiagra, 105 sure but not so much Tiagra. You could easily test ride a bike in the correct size with different components and order what you are looking for. Or you can always upgrade a little and enjoy a nicer bike.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-25-24, 03:35 PM
One Wheel

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Not sure if this answers the question, I didn't watch the video but I remembered the thumbnail when I read your post:
Old 02-25-24, 03:46 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
If you know the approximate size, model & year of any particular bike you're looking for, I suggest making your needs known by posting a WTB: ad somewhere. It could be here, FB, CL, etc.

It's a different way of achieving the same goal - getting a relatively late model bike for a reasonable price, especially if they are in short supply in your area.

Sometimes just asking the question "got one of these?" is enough to trigger someone into selling you one.
Old 02-25-24, 04:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Tiagra and 105 are not entry level...there are mid level

here is the current offering hierarchy

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-25-24, 11:06 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Are you only looking at those brands? Why not Jamis, Felt, etc. etc?
Old 02-25-24, 11:14 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by tai1fob
hi All,
Some of you may have seen my post asking buying used 10 year old superbike or a brand new aluminum bike with Tiagra/105, and I am now in the process of finding the right inventory at my local shop.

To my surprise, the inventory level for bikes like Trek Domane AL4/5, Canyon Endurance, Cannondale Synapse 105 are all extremely low at shops within reasonable distance, almost feels like trying to buy a car during the height of the pandemic.

Btw, I am in the PNW/Seattle area, so does the inventory have to do with seasonality? are riders in warmer regions facing the same inventory issues?
Commonly, the next year's bike models are released in Summer-Fall (so 2024 models were released in mid-late 2023)

OR, shops are trying to get rid of old inventory, and waiting for new model for the year to come in? so it's just a bad timing for me to be shopping at this time of the year?
It depends on your local market. In some places, quite a bit of new inventory is commonly still available in February, obviously depending on the year.

OR, the cycling business still facing the same supply chain issues started with the pandemic?
Quite the opposite. Manufacturers, distributors and retailers are crammed full of inventory in many places. Near me, one of the main retailers imported a single 2024 model, while they're crammed full of 2022-2023 stock, that's selling sluggishly, even with a good discount. I think it really depends on where you are.

lastly, I am quiet surprised at the "lack" of used bikes to buy on marketplace like facebook and craigslist, I thought many people got into biking during the pandemics, and many stopped riding and started to dump their bikes online, but that's just not the case for me in my region.
Same here. The market never saw the wild spike it saw in other places, though. And I hear people talking about the used market in the US and other places, but then others don't see it either.

Have you looked at a Giant? The AR1 should be 105, shouldn't it? Kona have also been doing some jaw dropping deals in recent times, like a buy one get one free MTB deal etc. I'd look at their bikes as a Libre or Rove would make for a good all rounder with the right tires.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 02-25-24, 11:25 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
I see lots of sizes of allez’ with 105 (sprint comp) and tiagra (sport) available at lots of shops…
Old 02-26-24, 05:19 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
You left out the Trek Emonda ALR 5 from your search...

Something I've noticed lately on the cycling YouTube channels - they are pushing the Aluminum bikes hard. Seems like every reviewer has a video of a Emonda/Allez comparison - and the words carbon killer pop up from time to time. The bike industry is pushing this market a bit right now.

I generally like this guys opinion on things - he did a review of the Emonda...

Old 02-26-24, 08:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
Not sure if this answers the question, I didn't watch the video but I remembered the thumbnail when I read your post:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3R6YauNr4
Watched a few minutes of the video.
A $1200 Claris drivetrain bike is absurd. I understand what inflation is. I understand the cited internal and external factors that have influenced pricing within the cycling market over the last 8 years(down, then up, then down - in general).
And in the end, a $1200 Claris drivetrain bike is absurd.

One of my kids got a 2019 Trek Domane AL 2, which is an aluminum frame carbon fork bike with a Claris drivetrain and rim brakes. It was $850msrp and purchased in the late winter for $680. If you take the $850msrp, thats $1025msrp in current years. The Specialized Allez has a Claris option with rim brakes for...$1000. That is more of a value than the $1200 disc brake model shown in the video.
Its criminal to claim some cheap tektro mechanical disc brakes justify a price tag that is $200(20%) higher than the rim brake model.
Funny enough...
All the Specialized site shows all the $1000 rim brake models are out of stock- https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...=322262-199476
All the $1400 Sora rim brake sizes and colors are out of stock- https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...=322287-199475

Tough to sell and buy bikes when they dont exist.
Personally, I would look at quality options from the remaining 7 of the largest 10 bike brands to see what they offer in my size and price range. It is well documented that for a couple years when inventory was limited due to multiple factors, the large bike brands prioritized making more expensive bikes available for purchase. It makes sense from a business perspective- if there is high demand and you are limited in capacity, focus on making your higher margin products available to maximize revenue.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-26-24, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
What's your price point for a entry level bike? If you want a Trek Domane, $999 gets you a Claris 8 speed group and $1449 gets you a Sora 9 speed group. Both are entry level.

The shop should be able to order them for you if that size isn't out of stock. Any Domane that the shop has in your size will be the same fit as the Domane you order in that size. Saddle on the entry level bike won't likely be the same as the saddle on the mid to high tier Domane's. So from that aspect it might feel a little different.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-26-24 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-26-24, 09:42 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Part of your problem is the "local bike shop" model. Car dealers can find the car you want at another dealer and have it shipped to them. Libraries can find the book you want at another library and have it shipped over. Even competing florists will lend each other flowers.

Bike shops, to their detriment, don't work together like this. The bike you want almost certainly exists in new and various degrees of used, but nobody really knows how, when, or where to make a deal.

Business opportunity right there.
Old 02-26-24, 10:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Frames don't make a entry level bike. Frames of a model from low to upper mid tier models are usually the same frame. The very upper tier bikes might be the newest generation of that frame.

It's the components that make it a entry level bike. Tiagra and 105 is not really entry level. However before everything went crazy, you could get bikes with them at a almost entry level price.
Old 02-26-24, 10:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
Can't answer the question of bike shop inventory, but the Seattle CL has 2200 listings. Over 500 for this past weekend alone. Surely something on the local used market must fit your needs.

Size and price range? Is color important?

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-26-24 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-26-24, 10:12 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
As I mentioned in your other thread, if you want best bang for the buck, the AL5 with 105 at about $2K is it. My daughter has this, and for her needs, it is outstanding.
Old 02-26-24, 02:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Can't answer the question of bike shop inventory, but the Seattle CL has 2200 listings. Over 500 for this past weekend alone. Surely something on the local used market must fit your needs.

Size and price range? Is color important?
no idea of size or budget but here is a sample 105 equipped bikes from seattle craigslist (bikes filter 105 returned 60)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/b...721095885.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/b...721267140.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...716707308.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...712786404.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/b...713125657.html

Old 02-26-24, 06:43 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
OP, have you considered Decathlon? IIRC, they're in California, but will ship. A lot of UK guys like the RC520:

Adventure Awaits (decathlon.com)

There's also a really cool Gravel version of the RC520:

Old 02-28-24, 10:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
Online 'discount' stores offer aluminum framed road bikes with those groupsets you desire.

I refrain from a link as I have not purchased thru any of them.

I use BikeForums' resources and members for best value results. Repeatedly. Quite a few members around the Sound.
Old 02-28-24, 11:30 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
... To my surprise, the inventory level for bikes like Trek Domane AL4/5, Canyon Endurance, Cannondale Synapse 105 are all extremely low at shops within reasonable distance, ...
Originally Posted by mschwett
I see lots of sizes of allez’ with 105 (sprint comp) and tiagra (sport) available at lots of shops…
Originally Posted by Jughed
You left out the Trek Emonda ALR 5 from your search...
OP appears to be looking for aluminum bikes having an endurance frame geometry.
Old 02-28-24, 06:21 PM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I also think a tiarga 105 aluminum bike should be cheaper and more widely available. The Cannondale Optima 1 was a good example.

that’s not strictly speaking entry level, but it’s entry level to performance/enthusiast level with decent weight and good shifting.
Old 02-29-24, 10:48 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
OP, have you considered Decathlon? IIRC, they're in California, but will ship. A lot of UK guys like the RC520:

I have that bike and it's great especially at that price point. Decathlon have replaced it over here with a 2x10 Microshift instead for the same price point but they still seem to have stock of 105 left.
Old 02-29-24, 01:06 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
If you want a Synapse w/ Tiagra, you can pick one up from REI.
https://www.rei.com/product/208188/c...apse-al-2-bike
Likes For surak:
Old 03-06-24, 12:36 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I think that the predictions of the folks predicting a “flood” of unused pandemic-bikes onto the market may have been a little optimistic. Bicycles neither have enough value nor take up enough space to get “dumped”. Besides, getting rid of a fairly recently aquired bicycle smacks of personal failure. Past history shows us that the typical used bike is 10-20 years old. We won’t see those sweet, sweet pandemic-bikes until 2030 at least.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP

Last edited by mr,grumpy; 03-08-24 at 10:24 AM.
Likes For mr,grumpy: