Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wire bead failure on Schwalbe Marathon tire that's five years old. What's the cause?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wire bead failure on Schwalbe Marathon tire that's five years old. What's the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 11:50 AM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I have a buillitt front loader cargo bike and today the rear tire failed - Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus thats about 5 years old. The wire bead failed. Suddenly I felt the tire bottom out and I looked behind me to see that the tire had come off the rim. It had been inflated to 50psi - a very reasonable amount. I weigh 160 lbs and my 5 year old son was in the front but that certainly shouldn't be too much weight. The tire otherwise looked to be in good condition and I expected many more years out of it. When I went to put the tire back on so I could push the bike home thats when I noticed the broken bead.

Is there something I should keep my eye on to catch or prevent this?
Old 01-31-24, 12:56 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
What was the failure exactly? Bead severed, sidewall torn, etc? 5 years is a pretty good run for a tire that gets used regularly on a cargo bike, I wouldn’t sweat it.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 01-31-24, 01:24 PM
mattkime

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bead severed
Old 01-31-24, 03:36 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
What was the failure exactly? Bead severed, sidewall torn, etc? 5 years is a pretty good run for a tire that gets used regularly on a cargo bike, I wouldn’t sweat it.
+1. How much does your cargo bike weigh? Those tires have a 95kg/210lbs limit which may have caused it to fail after 5 years but contact Schwalbe and see what they say.
Old 01-31-24, 05:19 PM
mattkime

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The bike weighs about 60 lbs, I weigh 160, my kid weighs about 40. We should have been well within the weight limit
Old 01-31-24, 06:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mattkime
The bike weighs about 60 lbs, I weigh 160, my kid weighs about 40. We should have been well within the weight limit
Crankycrank said the weight limit is 210 and by your numbers you would have been well over it by 50lbs 160+40+60≠>210
You could reach out to Schwlabe but at this point I would just get a new tire and move on, the effort on a well worn 5 year old tire is not really worth it. Brand new tire failing yes 100%.

It is an old tire that probably got quite a bit of usage over the years and finally after years of use and abuse said I am done. You might look at the Pick-Up or Super-Moto-X which might serve you well for another 5 years!
Old 01-31-24, 06:41 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
agreed if you got 5 years of service out of a tire, just replace it and move on

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 01-31-24, 06:41 PM
mattkime

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Crankycrank said the weight limit is 210 and by your numbers you would have been well over it by 50lbs 160+40+60≠>210
Good point, I thought I could 2x that since there are two tires but in retrospect thats not how it works.

I'll pay more attention to weight rating in the future. I guess there is some variation depending upon configuration of the bike. Otherwise its pretty common to ride the bike near the weight limit of the tire. Of course, the intersection of studded winter tire, 26x2.0, and the weight requirements might be difficult.
Likes For mattkime:
Old 01-31-24, 08:34 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
I goofed on the load limit of the OP's tires. I didn't specify a "26" tire in my search so Schwalbe have 3 widths in a 26". 1.75 is 100kg, 2.0 is 105kg, 2.15 is 115kg That's a big difference. Marathon Winter Plus | 55-559 | SmartGuard | Winter | Black-Reflex | 11159241 (schwalbe.com)
Old 01-31-24, 11:32 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by mattkime
Good point, I thought I could 2x that since there are two tires but in retrospect thats not how it works.
Well that is almost how it works. In your case you should probably determine a ratio of how much the cargo tire is carrying vs the other tire.

Maybe half your weight, 40lbs of the bike weight, and all, or almost all, of your kid’s weight. You don’t have 100% on one tire.

Cars and trucks have axle loads and high capacity trucks run dual rear wheels for hauling heavy loads and towing 5th wheels and the like. The weight is spread out over the tires.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-01-24, 08:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'm left to be the contrarian today.

Weight limit? Probably not excessive for the tire. It's all about distribution. Even if you add OP's weight to half the bike weight, that didn't grossly exceed the tire max load. And really, when was the last time anybody besides Cranky looked at a tire's weight limit? Given the robustness of Schwalbe Marathon Whatever tires, there's probably a safety factor on top of a margin etc. that OP never got near the engineering (not the legal department's) load limit.

Age? Again, probably doesn't matter. What might matter is how often the bike is used, and the total mileage on the tire. Bead failure is not a normal sign of aging tire failure; those would be tread wear and, perhaps, dry rot and flaking sidewalls.

Time for my entry into the guessing game: User error fixing a flat. Excessive enthusiam using a tire iron to lever the tire off the rim without manhandling the tire to create sufficient slack, or perhaps kinking the tire while it's off the rim. Second guess would be underinflation, perhaps in concert with finding a nasty pothole. That could have started as a puncture that the rider didn't notice, so the 50 psi at the beginning of the ride was 20 psi when you found the pothole.

From potholes to potshots! Comments/responses?
Old 02-01-24, 09:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Crankycrank said the weight limit is 210 and by your numbers you would have been well over it by 50lbs 160+40+60≠>210.
OP was not on a unicycle.

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-01-24 at 01:15 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-01-24, 10:50 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Five years is about right for a wire bead tire, sure some will last much longer, but there are several factors involved (I don't think weight is one in this case). See if there is a manufacturing date code on it, it may be older than five years.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-01-24, 11:01 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Hilarious. OP was not on a unicycle.
cargo unicycle !!! the last untapped niche of cycling.
Old 02-01-24, 11:12 AM
wheelreason

Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
cargo unicycle !!! the last untapped niche of cycling.
Is it metric? I'll bring the cutting oil...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-01-24, 11:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Actual wire bears breaking is a fairly rare cause of a flat. Far more common (and still no way near the usual reasons) with beds is the casing fabric is worn away from a brake pad not being well aligned and was rubbing the tire's side wall just above the rim. This acts much like a lathe tool cutting into a workpiece. Not what the OP describes at all.

After 5 years and what's likely many miles i agree with most here and will say the tire owes nothing. Well past any stated or unspoken warranty period. This is why it is the rider who bears the responsibility to monitor their bike. Had this tire been replaced after 4 years we would not be having this thread and the OP would still be happy. Andy
Old 02-01-24, 01:13 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Actual wire beads breaking is a fairly rare cause of a flat. Far more common (and still no way near the usual reasons) with beds is the casing fabric is worn away from a brake pad not being well aligned and was rubbing the tire's side wall just above the rim. This acts much like a lathe tool cutting into a workpiece. Not what the OP describes at all.
Does he mean the bead itself broke, or that it separated from the cords? I've seen the latter in old tyres.
After 5 years and what's likely many miles i agree with most here and will say the tire owes nothing. Well past any stated or unspoken warranty period. This is why it is the rider who bears the responsibility to monitor their bike. Had this tire been replaced after 4 years we would not be having this thread and the OP would still be happy.
ISTR manufacturers say that the expected life of a car tyre is as little as five years, even if it has no wear or visible damage. That's from the time of manufacture, not first use. Maybe bike tyres should be date coded.
Old 02-01-24, 01:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
FWIW steel wire beads should last sometime shy of forever. But stuff happens, including minor damage to the tire at the bead during mounting. This can directly damage tire plies causing the tire to part from the bead, or it can allow water entry, rusting the bead leading to it's failure.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-01-24, 01:55 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
It's done five years of duty on a cargo bike.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 02-01-24, 03:10 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Schwalbe makes a cargo tire called the Pick-Up. It can handle more weight and appears to be very robust.
Likes For Rick:
Old 02-01-24, 03:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
FWIW overloading wouldn't cause a bead failure.

Overloading a tire would manifest different ways; pinch flats from bottoming or tread delamination and cracking from excess wall flex.

It would only cause blowouts or wall failure at the bead if you try to compensate with overinflation.

As noted above, tire liad ratings are per axle, so someplace between 30 and 70% of total weight depending on weight distribution.

However, all things considered, 5years service life for a tire isn't unreasonable, so replace and hope to do as well next time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-01-24, 04:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
OP was not on a unicycle.
Yes of course we know that.
Old 02-01-24, 04:23 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
After 5 years and what's likely many miles i agree with most here and will say the tire owes nothing. Well past any stated or unspoken warranty period.
You may be right hinting at many miles, or maybe not. Was it ridden 200 times a year for a 10 mile round trip to child care and work? Or was the bike used at a summer home and then left inside, out of the weather? It might have 1,000 miles on it, a totally different case.

Nevertheless, as you and others have said, the wire itself rarely fails. While there's no need to perform a full fault tree analysis, if (as I suspect) the tire was damaged by something the user did or didn't do, it's worthwhile to point out Things Not To Do Next Time. Changing tires every 3-4 years might prevent the problem, or might not. Better care changing tires can prevent a recurrence either next year, or five years from now.
Old 02-01-24, 04:29 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Yes of course we know that.
It was just a reminder to those who might have been misled by your post: the one stating that the rear tire was carrying the entirety of the weight of the bike/child/rider.
Old 02-01-24, 05:11 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Op expected "many more years of service" from that tire. I wouldn't normally get irate over how obtuse people can get sometimes but o.p. had their kid in the suicide seat on the run where the tire shook off this mortal coil. That should attract some unwanted attention.
Likes For Leisesturm:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.