Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Running Helps you

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Running Helps you

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 08:23 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Running is the worse thing you can do. It's a high impact activity. You're knee and other joints will haunt you into your older age if you become an avid runner.
Seems somewhat intuitive but it's really just an old wive's tale not backed up by research. Plenty of people with knee issues who never run or exercise. The actual studies don't find higher incidence of knee problems amongst runners.
Old 08-05-16, 09:23 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Seems somewhat intuitive but it's really just an old wive's tale not backed up by research. Plenty of people with knee issues who never run or exercise. The actual studies don't find higher incidence of knee problems amongst runners.

Not to say that your claim is wrong but my real world observations from riding partners, friends, relatives and other people, inc runners, walkers, cyclists and couch potatoes and the general consensus is that runners (esp heavier ones) have more joint issues than other athletes.

I don't run, too large framed for that, so I bike, hike, kayak, etc with less impact and at 58, my joints are still original and in fine working order. No arthritis either, good genes or good habits, IDK but I am grateful for my health and try not to push my luck.

But, you are right, lot's of people getting knee/hip, etc replacements that never engaged in athletics of any kind but from what I have seen, too many of them are very overweight and carrying that weight with them wherever they go has to prematurely wear their joints probably more than running.
Old 08-05-16, 09:37 AM
CrankyNeck

Bikes: Trek 2300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All I know is that going for a run right after a bike ride will help you with your pain management skills.
Old 08-05-16, 10:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
Not to say that your claim is wrong but my real world observations from riding partners, friends, relatives and other people, inc runners, walkers, cyclists and couch potatoes and the general consensus is that runners (esp heavier ones) have more joint issues than other athletes.
Yes.
Old 08-07-16, 02:15 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just remember running is actually a natural movement our body was designed for, and most other sports are not. I think a lot of the injury aspect of running is brought on by the modern lifestyle which is increasingly un-natural, as in sitting in offices, convenience and laziness abound, buying cushioned shoes that also at some point was decided needed to be angled and contoured, etc. It's hard to escape the effects of the modern lifestyle... most of our feet are already permanently disfigured by the time we even play sports in school. But back to the topic, and it has already been said many times, they are different sports. One would not expect to win a bike race never having cycled but a world class runner. Sure general fitness may be increased by any activity, but that doesn't make you great at something else. As primarily a runner I am no where near being really fast cyclist, though I am quite happy with where I am at and that is what matters. I'll never be in the TdF or Olympics so what difference does training hard to be a few mph faster on a bike make in the grand scheme of things? Just enjoy what you can do, a do what you enjoy.
Old 08-07-16, 07:38 PM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
I don't run, too large framed for that, so I bike, hike, kayak, etc with less impact and at 58, my joints are still original and in fine working order. No arthritis either, good genes or good habits, IDK but I am grateful for my health and try not to push my luck.
Being large framed gives you some advantage over the smaller boned. With a small frame and just a little extra weight it is double the wear and tear. There are also runners who float off the balls of their feet, and those who just pound the crap out of their joints. And then there is just running, and running stupid distances. I don't think running by itself has anything to do with joint health.
Old 08-07-16, 07:45 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sprince
Being large framed gives you some advantage over the smaller boned. With a small frame and just a little extra weight it is double the wear and tear. There are also runners who float off the balls of their feet, and those who just pound the crap out of their joints. And then there is just running, and running stupid distances. I don't think running by itself has anything to do with joint health.

If someone decides to take up jogging or running, stay on the balls of your feet and try your best to avoid being a heel striker. The jolt of striking your heels on pavement goes right up your legs and to your back. It's called "method of injury" in EMT circles and a valid concern, IMHO.
Old 08-08-16, 02:52 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Having been a cyclist, then runner, then cyclist, I say no in regards to improving performance over a baseline of general fitness. Not only does it not help, but it hinders maximum performance in either or both.
Old 08-08-16, 03:01 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
cycle lots

and if you can swim .... even better

get a rowing machine or join a gym and use one

thats all you need .... avoid running, it damages your joints
Old 08-09-16, 12:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Once a year, my wife and I and some boaty friends boat over to a local island. I have my once yearly 4 mile trail run there, my only run of the year. This year I ran with a 20 y.o. college track star specializing in sprint and long jump. She sprained her ankle training in each of the past 2 years, though not this year. I could have easily dropped her because the distance aggravated her injury. I had no problem, ran easily, felt strong on the hills and leaping the obstacles, wasn't sore the next day.

Don't get injured.

That said, research indicates that in fact, running does not damage your joints. Injuries damage your joints. Be careful out there.

For more information, google "new york times running injuries".