Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-21, 10:16 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm old enough to know lifting rocks of any size is a really bad idea for this motor. Tacos, however, are a very good idea. So is pizza and beer.
Agree, that's why we turn to the cash labor market.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-08-21, 10:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Lemee know if you find a good shop for that motor overhaul. It has become vividly apparent that my motor is also in need of extensive work. Sumpin just ain't right.
This is my son's last week of school and my last week of getting up (involuntarily) before 6am. In the past, better/more sleep has helped a lot, so I'm hopeful that that laggy feeling will shake off.

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I'm on a self imposed bike stuff embargo for a few weeks
I wish that I was just buyin' some toys, but all of this is needed, no-fun maintenance stuff that's made itself apparent over the last week or so. Well, I suppose that I could have just gotten the cleats, instead of new pedals with cleats, but the cleats are a big chunk of the cost of the pedals (more than a third) and the pedals were on sale, while the cleats weren't.

I don't really have any other bike "toys" on the horizon, though. The only thing that I'm looking forward to is wearing out these Michelins (which have been really good) so that I can try out the Pirelli that are sitting in the basement. Based on the tread wear indicator on the rear tire, though, I might need to put another 2k+ miles on the Michelin before they're done.
Old 06-08-21, 10:28 AM
WhyFi

I'm old enough to know lifting rocks of any size is a really bad idea for this motor. Tacos, however, are a very good idea. So is pizza and beer.
I haven't been feeling like cooking too much in this lil heatwave of ours, so it'll be beer and pizza for me tonight. And a salad to keep things movin' along.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-08-21, 10:38 AM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Swapped out to a freshly waxed chain and replaced my pedals and cleats (needed new cleats and my LBS was having a sale on pedals, so I decided to replace my 8+ year old Speedplays with the new Wahoo branded ones). Still need to pick up a new rotor (rear rotor is squealing, heavily grooved, and at min thickness) and a new set of brake pads. Once I take care of that, I'll just need a motor overhaul and I'll be good to go.
How many miles do you get out of that waxed chain?
I get about 130-150 before it gets noisy. Sometimes I think its a hassle with wax, but my drive train lasts much longer. I use 2 Wipperman chains and swap them on my road & single speed.
On my vintage bike, I decided to try NFS chain lube. I have not taken it on a ride yet.
Old 06-08-21, 10:40 AM
Mojo31
-------

This is my son's last week of school and my last week of getting up (involuntarily) before 6am. In the past, better/more sleep has helped a lot, so I'm hopeful that that laggy feeling will shake off.

I wish that I was just buyin' some toys, but all of this is needed, no-fun maintenance stuff that's made itself apparent over the last week or so. Well, I suppose that I could have just gotten the cleats, instead of new pedals with cleats, but the cleats are a big chunk of the cost of the pedals (more than a third) and the pedals were on sale, while the cleats weren't.
Say what??? No nano pedals?
Old 06-08-21, 10:47 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sshakari
How many miles do you get out of that waxed chain?
I get about 130-150 before it gets noisy. Sometimes I think its a hassle with wax, but my drive train lasts much longer. I use 2 Wipperman chains and swap them on my road & single speed.
On my vintage bike, I decided to try NFS chain lube. I have not taken it on a ride yet.
400+, typically, though my noise tolerance may be different. It's very quiet for probably100ish miles, the rest is acceptably smooth and quiet. Not sure how much the brand/formula matters, but I'm using Molten Speed Wax.

I rotate two chains, too. For me, the big attraction to waxing is not having to clean black gunk off of my drivetrain, which makes waxing a time (and frustration) saver for me.
Old 06-08-21, 10:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I can help you. I just had 1500 pounds of boulders delivered for a landscaping project, and they need to be moved into place.

There is one big one and four smaller ones.

Come on over for an arms, legs, back workout.

Plenty of beer and pizza provided. Or, tacos if that's your thing.
What kind of beer? Rolling Rock?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-08-21, 10:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
I'm on a self imposed bike stuff embargo for a few weeks
My condolences.

I'm in the fine-tuning stage of my singlespeed 26er project. Got a new cog, computer mount, and some bling items to finish it off. It's a fun ride, and I'm enjoying the complete change of mindset and scenery from by road bike. This week, I got notified by a buddy that he moved his son to a larger frame, and the one he has been riding - an aluminum Colnago - was available for me to buy. I won my only State Champ title on that frame, and had sold it to him in '05 after my previous retirement from the sport. It will be fun to have it back in my stable, and is intended to be a long-term rebuild project with Dura-Ace 9 speed. Currently, I have a new chain for my Storck that has been sitting on my bench for over a week, and really needs to get installed. However, HS softball is over, and the travel ball summer season has come out of the gates hot and fast. My daughter has tournaments or showcase events every weekend until the end of July. My weekly bike miles are taking a big hit. It's been since last Thursday since I've been on my bike.
Old 06-08-21, 10:50 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28614 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Rotating chains? wut
Old 06-08-21, 10:51 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28614 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Plenty of beer and pizza provided. Or, tacos if that's your thing.
What about transportation?
Old 06-08-21, 10:53 AM
WhyFi

Say what??? No nano pedals?
I'm not that much of a weenie. I was looking at the steel pedals, but 80 bucks gets you literally a few grams worth of weight savings between the Comp and the Steel.

edit: now that I look closely, it the Comp comes with the lighter action cleats and the Zero (steel) pedals come with the standard cleats. Guess I'd better watch those first couple sprints.
Old 06-08-21, 10:53 AM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
400+, typically, though my noise tolerance may be different. It's very quiet for probably100ish miles, the rest is acceptably smooth and quiet. Not sure how much the brand/formula matters, but I'm using Molten Speed Wax.

I rotate two chains, too. For me, the big attraction to waxing is not having to clean black gunk off of my drivetrain, which makes waxing a time (and frustration) saver for me.
I use a homemade wax formula and it does really well for me. I do still get some "black stuff" and some wax build up on some parts, but nothing compared to oil based lube. Dont think formula really matters as well. I get nervous when there is too much noise around my drive train.
Old 06-08-21, 10:57 AM
Mojo31
-------

About the same here rotating a Ultegra and 105 chain on my Trek, and KMCs on our Spesh bikes. I use food grade paraffin with PTFE added. If I get a little noise between waxings, I'll use a bit of Squirt. Our riding conditions are most dry.

Hate the black gunk as well. I wax both my bikes and my wife's, and don't find the time required to be unreasonable.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-08-21, 10:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
What kind of beer? Rolling Rock?
You get the rocks moved, and I'll get you cases of whatever beer you want!
Old 06-08-21, 10:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

On Sundays ride (on the Canyon), every time I got out of the saddle, I could hear a *scrape,scrape,scrape* from the front disk. Seems that one pad was ALMOST touching when the bike was upright, but tilted slightly, and with 200# on top of it, it was rubbing. No sound or vibration when I'd spin the wheel, but no visible daylight between the disk and the pad on one side.

So last night I tried the old 'loosen the bolts, squeeze the lever, tighten the bolts' trick. That didn't do it. So I tried the 'business card' trick, where you take take your wheel out, take one of those thick business cards, fold it over, put it on the disk, put the wheel back in with the card between the pads, squeeze the lever and tighten the bolts. That worked! I can see daylight on both sides of the disk.

It's always nice when simple things work.

Old 06-08-21, 11:02 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
What about transportation?
You should be able to get here in a day in the vintage Accord.
Old 06-08-21, 11:06 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
my back light started acting up today. Not amused. Lately it seems I have to keep replacing stuff so I can’t get new stuff.

Power meter and trainer are still a must.

Im in desperate need of some more bibs/ shorts. Currently on a wear each one twice before washing and would like to stop that.
Old 06-08-21, 11:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by bampilot06
my back light started acting up today. Not amused. Lately it seems I have to keep replacing stuff so I can’t get new stuff.

Power meter and trainer are still a must.

Im in desperate need of some more bibs/ shorts. Currently on a wear each one twice before washing and would like to stop that.
Tell me someone hacked your account and posted that.
Old 06-08-21, 11:10 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Tell me someone hacked your account and posted that.

I only have 4. 2 of which I hate, so really I only have 2.
Old 06-08-21, 11:21 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts

I don't really have any other bike "toys" on the horizon, though. The only thing that I'm looking forward to is wearing out these Michelins (which have been really good) so that I can try out the Pirelli that are sitting in the basement. Based on the tread wear indicator on the rear tire, though, I might need to put another 2k+ miles on the Michelin before they're done.
I bought new headset bearings if that counts.

My condolences.

I'm in the fine-tuning stage of my singlespeed 26er project. Got a new cog, computer mount, and some bling items to finish it off. It's a fun ride, and I'm enjoying the complete change of mindset and scenery from by road bike. This week, I got notified by a buddy that he moved his son to a larger frame, and the one he has been riding - an aluminum Colnago - was available for me to buy. I won my only State Champ title on that frame, and had sold it to him in '05 after my previous retirement from the sport. It will be fun to have it back in my stable, and is intended to be a long-term rebuild project with Dura-Ace 9 speed. Currently, I have a new chain for my Storck that has been sitting on my bench for over a week, and really needs to get installed. However, HS softball is over, and the travel ball summer season has come out of the gates hot and fast. My daughter has tournaments or showcase events every weekend until the end of July. My weekly bike miles are taking a big hit. It's been since last Thursday since I've been on my bike.
I had to drop 7 grand unexpectedly in the last month on a sick dog, busted car and broken dryer among some other things, so I'm taking it easy for a couple of months.
Old 06-08-21, 11:26 AM
Mojo31
-------

I had to drop 7 grand unexpectedly in the last month on a sick dog, busted car and broken dryer among some other things, so I'm taking it easy for a couple of months.
Why is it that when you think you are getting caught up or a little ahead that sort of stuff happens?
Old 06-08-21, 11:26 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
I can see how that might put a speed bump in the fun-stuff purchases. Adulting sucks like that.
Old 06-08-21, 11:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

We dodged a bullet with Mrs. GeneJockey's Sienna. It was either gonna be $5000 to replace the catalytic converters, or a lot more to replace the car. So, by the Theory of Compensatory Cashflow*, we should now have an extra $5000. Right?

*Calvin Trillin's Theory of Compensatory Cashflow, if you even briefly considered buying something but then didn't, you now have that money to spend on other things, like "There's that $5000 we saved by not having to get new catalytic converters".

And yet the bank balance didn't go UP $5000....

Old 06-08-21, 11:46 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
We dodged a bullet with Mrs. GeneJockey's Sienna. It was either gonna be $5000 to replace the catalytic converters, or a lot more to replace the car. So, by the Theory of Compensatory Cashflow*, we should now have an extra $5000. Right?

*Calvin Trillin's Theory of Compensatory Cashflow, if you even briefly considered buying something but then didn't, you now have that money to spend on other things, like "There's that $5000 we saved by not having to get new catalytic converters".

And yet the bank balance didn't go UP $5000....
But, it didn't go down, so you are ahead by $5,000.

You should hear how my wife explains how she saves us money by shopping.
Old 06-08-21, 12:14 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,530 Times in 2,506 Posts
Was 95 when I ran, was brutal.
The storm that rolled thru this morning just made it humid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.