Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Park your Davidson here!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Park your Davidson here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 11:51 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
I had the same problem (front end shimmy) with the same era headset on my 83 Davidson.
Pretty much ruined a long weekend tour in Seattle and environs.
Take it from me, replace it soon. Twill not improve with age.
Old 02-12-23, 08:19 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,999 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Thought I'd share this here first. I just picked this up locally and haven't touched it yet. The lady actually had a matching set, same size. In rough working shape right now but I grabbed the better looking of the two frames. Both bikes were missing their front wheel. I bet they were somewhere in the garage she picked these up at. Under the grime and such appears to be a nice bike. Nothing fancy but the care taken with the lugs is very evident as well as a nice paint job....originally. Not sure where I'm going with this one. I'll start and individual post on this bike as I sort it out.

So that's where this orphan wheel I just found again came from. I couldn't for the life of me remember how I got it and what happened to the front. Mystery solved and I can now stop looking for the "missing" front wheel, LOL!
Old 02-12-23, 11:51 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
It’s been almost 3 years since I got it and it’s still my favorite bike project I’ve ever done, the kind of thing that makes the hobby worth it. I plan to ride it in the next big Cascade fondo that I do, maybe this year’s STP if I can sort out the fork in time.
Did I just buy this fork from you at the Seattle Bike Swap yesterday? If not, I just picked up a spitting image of it. But I think this one has mid-fork rack mounts, so ... I guess not! On the assumption that mine is not yours, do you want to check mine out? I'd happily pass it along to you at the ridiculously low price that I picked it up. I just couldn't leave it orphaned in a parts bin.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 02-12-23, 12:02 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Did I just buy this fork from you at the Seattle Bike Swap yesterday? If not, I just picked up a spitting image of it. But I think this one has mid-fork rack mounts, so ... I guess not! On the assumption that mine is not yours, do you want to check mine out? I'd happily pass it along to you at the ridiculously low price that I picked it up. I just couldn't leave it orphaned in a parts bin.
I didn’t make it to the swap, I had baby duty all day yesterday, so it wasn’t me.

Do you have a picture of the fork? My frame is 64.5 CTT so I need lot of steerer!
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 02-12-23, 07:49 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
I didn’t make it to the swap, I had baby duty all day yesterday, so it wasn’t me.

Do you have a picture of the fork? My frame is 64.5 CTT so I need lot of steerer!
Sadly, it's probably not going to be long enough, then. I checked it (eyeballed it) against my own 62-63cm frames and it looks just barely too short for those. I'll measure it to confirm, but it's unlikely.