Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago track fork just re-chromed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 05:21 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts

This is the second fork I've had re-chromed by Jack Trumbull from Franklin Frames in Ohio. Sorry I forgot to take before pics but it had several rust patches and was speckled with rust dots. I think it came out pretty well - he filled in the panto too.

Couple of questions for you guys. I recently posted about a Ciocc track fork - I had dremelled a curve in the bottom of the crown to accommodate a 25c tire. This Colnago crown has a prominent curve with what appear to be tool marks just on that area. Was this curve put in after the crown was cast?
Both crowns have a pin installed. The Ciocc pin is very close to the bottom of the crown. I know pins were used to hold tubes together when welding but what are the pins used for here?

Likes For Biketiger:
Old 02-14-23, 06:08 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Just a guess but i can imagine being useful for dipping in the crhoming tank. If one would hang it with rope/hook tied to the fork itself it might affect good coverage... but what do I know... we have frame builders and collectors who had things rechromed so expect better answers...
Old 02-16-23, 07:35 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
The pin is probably left over from the frame building process, IMO
Old 02-16-23, 07:56 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Obviously the framebuilder installed it. The question Catnap is for what purpose.
Old 02-16-23, 08:31 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
Obviously the framebuilder installed it. The question Catnap is for what purpose.
pinning joints is a frame building technique to securely hold the tubes in the proper orientation when brazing. this article here has a detailed explanation of how it works: https://www.classiclightweights.co.u...rame-building/

the tl;dr version is that the pin had a purpose during the manufacture of the frame, but has no purpose any longer.
Old 02-16-23, 09:54 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
no tacking required, one heat/ flux cycle, keeps the parts from drifting when the braze is liquid.

Colnago pinned almost all, so did DeRosa and others.
Masi did not.
richard Sachs uses multiple pins, the locations have varied, the goal is to control the connection and avoid correction. Avoid Post brazing alignment.
Old 02-16-23, 10:01 PM
Biketiger

Originally Posted by Catnap
pinning joints is a frame building technique to securely hold the tubes in the proper orientation when brazing. this article here has a detailed explanation of how it works: https://www.classiclightweights.co.u...rame-building/

the tl;dr version is that the pin had a purpose during the manufacture of the frame, but has no purpose any longer.
Okay - so what was held in place by a pin that is in the center of the crown as pictured?
I have seen pins where tubes come together. My Ciocc has a pin in the same spot but closer to the bottom edge of the crown.
Old 02-16-23, 10:23 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Okay - so what was held in place by a pin that is in the center of the crown as pictured?
I have seen pins where tubes come together. My Ciocc has a pin in the same spot but closer to the bottom edge of the crown.
the pin goes through the crown casting and the steerer tube.
Old 02-16-23, 10:37 PM
Biketiger

Okay - that makes sense! I wondered about that but when I initially examined the underside of the crown, I didn't recognize that the steerer tube extends all the way down to the bottom of the crown. Thanks for pointing that out