Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bruce Gordon smoke effect...how?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 12:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

not sure if that link is viewable without signing in/up. sorry 'bout that. not sure of another way to get the example image up here. also, there's not hardly any examples elsewhere on the web

anyway, i'm sure some or more of BG fans are familiar with his "smoke" paint job. i'm wondering just how that effect might have been achieved. i know other companies have done it, though

anyone know and maybe even reproduced it with some success? it'd be cool to do this to one of my bikes needing some love. contemplating ways to do it

Last edited by thook; 05-13-21 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 01:01 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Some Centurions (IronMan models) as well as hundreds of Swiss bikes from early days featured "smoked" paint effects: Mondia, Allegro and possibly Cilo and Tigra come to mind. I think in the case of some early Swiss there was actual smoke (as in soot) involved, but will subscribe for some knowledgeable painters to chime in with the facts, jack!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-13-21, 01:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
one way was to float paint on top of a tub of water, submerse the frame and the paint adhered to the surface as it was submersed.
Now, to get the type of paint to used today...
Clearcoat after of course.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-13-21, 02:16 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Light an oxyacetylene torch without the oxygen turned on. Keep the flame low and then pass the frame over the surface you want smoked. Practice on anything before hitting your painted surface. It is very easy to do, costs little but you must clear coat right after doing the smoke work. I have done this many times, when I used to chop (customize) old Harleys, Indians and different English bikes. Give it a try or Google it.
Old 05-13-21, 02:48 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Light an oxyacetylene torch without the oxygen turned on. Keep the flame low and then pass the frame over the surface you want smoked. Practice on anything before hitting your painted surface. It is very easy to do, costs little but you must clear coat right after doing the smoke work. I have done this many times, when I used to chop (customize) old Harleys, Indians and different English bikes. Give it a try or Google it.
sounds like a plan. i'll have get a torch first, though ....

the water/paint dip approach would much more possible....hmmmm
Old 05-14-21, 01:22 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

okay...this is interesting. when i'd looked at the close up photos of the RNR above, i'd considered using saran wrap to get the effect....'cause it kinda looks to me like maybe that's what was done. or some similar approach. well, then i was browsing youtube videos geeking out on frame building stuff, i happen to stumble on this man's video...

and, i swear...i had no idea people were actually using saran wrap to paint with...haha! looks pretty damn similar, though, don't you think?
Old 05-14-21, 03:27 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
I painted a fork crown to try and match the smoked finish on a frame. I used the saran wrap method. But, I bunched it up and blotted a wet black top coat over a dry white base. It came more marble looking than smoke, but it was good enough for government work.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 05-14-21, 07:13 AM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
sounds like a plan. i'll have get a torch first, though ....

the water/paint dip approach would much more possible....hmmmm
When I was a teenager I did it lighting a Popsicle stick dipped in motor oil.

Water dipping usually gives more of a swirl than a smoke pattern. Before you go thinking it's easier visualize a- how big the tub has to be and b- what will the "back side" of the dip look like. Very hard to get a perfect "wrap" with that method.

A lot depends on just how perfect a finish you're looking for. If this is a prized bike the question isn't the same as a beater you're willing to practice on.
Likes For Ronsonic:
Old 05-14-21, 08:08 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
This.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 05-14-21, 08:14 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I'd bet plenty of money this is how Bruce (or whoever painted his frames) got that smoked look. An acetylene flame - before it gets turned up - is very sooty and can make a framebuilder look like coal miner if he is not fast fingered with the control knobs. One of the advantages of switching to propane instead of acetylene is avoiding the rain of soot that come floating down when one of my framebuilding class students is still in the learning how to operate a torch stage.
Old 05-14-21, 11:10 AM
gearbasher

Pardon the filthy bike, but here's a quick photo of the fork crown I mentioned in post #7.

Likes For gearbasher:
Old 05-14-21, 11:21 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 612 Posts
We didn't want to waste acetylene so we used burning polystyrene, the "sprue" from plastic models worked great. BIG amen on clear coating immediately!

Hmmm, I'm paintng a single speed, mght be time to "burn one".......
Old 05-14-21, 01:23 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Bought this Titan frame cuz I liked the 'smoke' paint job on it. Plus, t was the size (57 cm) I was looking for . . .
A painter in Italy paints frames w/ fancy schemes for quite a few top-tiered frame builders in IT. (Dossena Carlo)

Likes For 1 Lugnut:
Old 05-14-21, 02:54 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I'm remembered Deepcherry has done some air-brush work on a Diamond Back frame to achieve the same smoke effect. Here's the thread; https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...90-refurb.html
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 05-14-21, 06:22 PM
gearbasher

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Bought this Titan frame cuz I liked the 'smoke' paint job on it. Plus, t was the size (57 cm) I was looking for . . .
A painter in Italy paints frames w/ fancy schemes for quite a few top-tiered frame builders in IT. (Dossena Carlo)

The filthy frame with the Somec fork in post # 11 is a Titan also. Only it's a 55 cm. The Somec fork is the second fork I tried with that frame. I had a Cinelli unicrown on it and the bike handled like crap. I switched to the Somec fork, which has less rake, (giving it toe overlap) and now it rides great,
Old 05-14-21, 06:50 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
The filthy frame with the Somec fork in post # 11 is a Titan also. Only it's a 55 cm. The Somec fork is the second fork I tried with that frame. I had a Cinelli unicrown on it and the bike handled like crap. I switched to the Somec fork, which has less rake, (giving it toe overlap) and now it rides great,
Fork on mine is off a Mondia frame I bought (58m), but it was cut a liitle short & didn’t have enough threads for enough purchase on the headset nut,
On that Mondia frame, I found a better Mondia fork, had it cut shorter & used it.
On the Titan, it fit, but needed 2B chromed.
I have another Titan (56cm) that also came w/o a fork. I saved an Italvega that I had bought many years ago & supplied it after having it painted to match the frame...
Both Titans handle great w/o being squirrelly. I find the one like yours’, a bit more skittish? Veloflex tubulars help smooth out the ride...

In case you didn’t know, Titans were made in Italy by
Giovanni Losa who makes frames for lots of other companies. eg: Guerciotti, Cinelli & others...