Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to repair slightly bent steerer tube.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 11:03 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

The somewhat rough 1983 Stumpjumper Sport I recently acquired has a slightly bent steerer tube. This is not a surprise. The seller showed it to me. There is just enough bend to cause it to start to bind at about 70 degrees off center each way, which is far sharper a turn then I would ever make riding.

I'm not worried about going with it as is, but wondered if there is a reasonably easy way to straighten it. You can see that the bend is about 1/3 of the way up the tube and not between the tube and the crown.

Thanks all,

RFC
Old 06-19-13, 11:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
...You can see that the bend is about 1/3 of the way up the tube and not between the tube and the crown.
Thanks all, RFC
Sounds like you might have intended to includa a photo?

Also sounds like a job for a framebuilder, and at least the fork is a lot easier to deliver than a frame. Sounds like a ten-minute repair if the bend is minor.
Old 06-19-13, 11:33 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Cost me $20 and a trip to the lbs.
Old 06-20-13, 03:07 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Steerer tubes are thin at the top and butted to a thicker wall at the bottom. Yours bent at the transition more than likely. It would be better to replace it as bending twice in the same place won't reverse the first bend, it just stretches the material further causing more damage.
Old 06-20-13, 06:24 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Straightening a bent steerer is almost impossible to do accurately. Often it will appear straight but in fact is just straighter. While it will probably work without binding, it will likely result in abnormal and premature wear of the headset races. Properly straightening a steering would be such a time consuming process (unless you got lucky) that it would probably be cheaper to have the steerer replaced.
Old 06-20-13, 07:30 AM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it binds when turning, it's not just the steering tube that's bent. The bearing cups must be misaligned as well, indicating some headtube damage. It's more than likely not dangerous, but I'd check things very carefully for main triangle damage and have the headtube faced and reamed at least.
Old 06-20-13, 10:29 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle_maven
If it binds when turning, it's not just the steering tube that's bent. The bearing cups must be misaligned as well, indicating some headtube damage. It's more than likely not dangerous, but I'd check things very carefully for main triangle damage and have the headtube faced and reamed at least.
+1^^, It would be a great idea to face the head tube, and the crown race seat as well, after re-bending.

Per the OP, this is a very subtle deformity, so I myself might have a go at getting it aligned.
But I still think that a framebuilder is the most qualified to do all of this, not that I wouldn't let one of the vanishing breed of competent pro shops take it on who are still conversent in the steel frame arena.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
cycle_maven, good point about the head cups being involved, I've had a couple of un-damaged PX10's that featured binding headset bearings when turned more than 30 degrees or so, but which didn't actually require correction, just a more careful headset adjustment was sufficient for my purposes.

Last edited by dddd; 06-20-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-20-13, 10:31 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by cycle_maven
Actually the bend is outward. I checked the frame it is fine. I post a photo later
Old 06-20-13, 10:33 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by Narhay
Cost me $20 and a trip to the lbs.
I wish I could find one here that could do it.
Old 06-20-13, 10:44 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by dddd
+1^^, It would be a great idea to face the head tube, and the crown race seat as well, after re-bending.

Per the OP, this is a very subtle deformity, so I myself might have a go at getting it aligned.
But I still think that a framebuilder is the most qualified to do all of this, not that I wouldn't let one of the vanishing breed of competent pro shops take it on who are still conversent in the steel frame arena.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
cycle_maven, good point about the head cups being involved, I've had a couple of un-damaged PX10's that featured binding headset bearings when turned more than 30 degrees or so, but which didn't actually require correction, just a more careful headset adjustment was sufficient for my purposes.
Just for fun, I also might have a go at it. How would you do it? I have successfully realigned steel frames.
Old 06-20-13, 12:11 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
If you get your steerer tube straightened or replaced, make sure you have the head tube refaced, top and bottom, just to make sure things really line up in case there is some slight/not visible compression damage to the head tube......
Old 06-20-13, 12:13 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Replacing the steerer tube is pretty straightforward.

It's much better to cut off the damaged steerer and line bore the crown to remove the remaining material (the butted section of the existing steerer brazed in the crown) than to try heating it with a torch to remove it which could weaken the crown. The line boring should be done by a competent machine shop to ensure the bore is straight and true.

Once the remaining material is removed, braze in a new steerer tube.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 06-21-13, 09:58 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by Scooper
Replacing the steerer tube is pretty straightforward.

It's much better to cut off the damaged steerer and line bore the crown to remove the remaining material (the butted section of the existing steerer brazed in the crown) than to try heating it with a torch to remove it which could weaken the crown. The line boring should be done by a competent machine shop to ensure the bore is straight and true.

Once the remaining material is removed, braze in a new steerer tube.

Thanks, but I wouldn't exactly call that approach easy.

Again, the bend in question is slight. Based on what I have read here, in what time I had, I tried the tree limb plus headset method and achieved some positive results. I will try again this weekend.
Old 06-21-13, 10:11 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
Actually the bend is outward. I checked the frame it is fine. I post a photo later
Bike shops that deal in Vintage bikes almost always have a tool made by Parker that bends the tube back,,there is nothing to it
Old 06-21-13, 10:21 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by howeeee
Bike shops that deal in Vintage bikes almost always have a tool made by Parker that bends the tube back,,there is nothing to it
That's what I would think. This should be no big deal.
Old 05-05-21, 06:13 PM
LMBiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slightly bent steerer tube

Hi, how did this work out for you? I have a slightly bent steerer tube myself.

Same thing, it's sticky on wide turns . I replaced the fork, but I want to do something with the old one with the bent steerer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-21, 09:02 AM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by LMBiker
Hi, how did this work out for you? I have a slightly bent steerer tube myself.

Same thing, it's sticky on wide turns . I replaced the fork, but I want to do something with the old one with the bent steerer.
8 yr old Thread..!
Hopefully, someone can steer you in the right direction?
Old 05-06-21, 11:25 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
P1030228 on Flickr
P1030232 on Flickr