Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Free app to test FTP on a trainer?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 06:25 PM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I know it seems weird, to have a smart trainer and be looking for a free app.
The thing is that I don't own one, it's the LBS that has one for fit purposes and lets clients use it. It's an Elite Drive trainer, but the shop only has the software that comes with it (or at least i think it's the one), says something like "Real Trainer" or whatever.
The problem with it is that I couldn't set up an FTP test on that software and I'm not willing to pay for a software I'll only use occasionally. I can select between "time/power, time/gradient, distance/gradient, distance/power" but can't mix those in a single ride. I also can't select a smaller part of it to evaluate average power, so I can't warm up for 15mins make a 20min test and then cool down, not without stopping the ride and changing program! Quite stupid. Also it's smart to cut out the first and last few seconds of the effort to avoid peaks I guess.

So is there any free software that I can set up something like
Warmup (15min): 5min very easy, 3 30sec medium efforts with 1min in between, another 5 very easy then
20min test (0% gradient, no preset watts)
Cooldown: 15min 0%gradient as slow as I feel like

And then select the 20mins portion to get the avg watts and normalized powerof that only??

Thanks!
Old 06-12-18, 07:20 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
You're wasting your time.

Why assess your FTP on a device that you can't use for training? Different devices spit out different numbers.
Old 06-12-18, 08:09 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
You're wasting your time.

Why assess your FTP on a device that you can't use for training? Different devices spit out different numbers.
I actually can use it whenever I want, I just have to go there and train really... But I want to know my FTP now and compare in the future. I'm likely to do most training on PRE. And I can compare it again on the same trainer...

Well, partially answering my own question I've found out about GoldenCheetah opensource software. Still I couldn't configure session mixing fixed power/time for warmup and gradient/time for ftp test. Appreciate help!
Old 06-12-18, 08:37 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ericoschmitt
Well, partially answering my own question I've found out about GoldenCheetah opensource software. Still I couldn't configure session mixing fixed power/time for warmup and gradient/time for ftp test. Appreciate help!
So just use gradient/time for the warmup also. You should be able to warmup at 0% gradient, then set what you need for the test.

You could also try a 30-day trial to something like Trainer Road. Just make sure you cancel it before they start charging. I believe their new ramp test works in erg mode, but if you prefer slope/resistance mode that's what their 20-minute FTP test uses.
Old 06-16-18, 02:20 AM
mcr23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maximum trainer is free and has an ftp test, or you can use the workout editor to create your own test.

There's also golden cheetah, although I've struggled to get this to work as intended.

Other options you have are signing up for trainer road, you get a thirty day money back guarantee if you cancel within 30 days.

Zwift has a 7 day free trial and includes an ftp test in the workout part.

Onelap is totally free and the Chinese version of zwift, it has an option to test you ftp in the workout section. The English translation isn't the best, but the app itself is great considering its free.

There's also the tacx desktop app, although I think the workouts and ftp test are mobile only - so you'd need a tablet or a smartphone to do an ftp test. It's also free.

There may be a few more, but this list should get you started.

​​​​​
​​​
​​
Old 06-17-18, 08:14 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you mcr23 !
Wednesday I did the test using GoldenCheetah. I couldn't find how to set up things as I wished, but I just looked at time and rode at the needed power. It's easy enough to select the hard effort to analyze, which I couldn't do in that Elite Drivo software! And It's easy to set up workouts with lots of detail, loved it!
I'll take a look at those other softwares this week, see if any of them comes with a nice test protocol, and if I can export data to GoldenCheetah later.
Old 06-18-18, 04:58 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Connect it to Zwift for free. They have an FTP test.