Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help for new build

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Help for new build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 07:20 AM
mcr23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help for new build

Ok this is my first bike build, but we've all gotta start somewhere right? At the moment I've got a Giant Defy road bike that I'm using for triathlon training at uni, club rides at the weekend and commuting to and from uni. I'm fairly confident on working and repairing my current bike and want to try building this one, so going to the LBS isn't what I'm planning on doing. A few weeks ago I went to the Manchester velodrome and loved the way riding fixed felt. So I bought a Spicer frame; this one: https://spicercycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=409.

The frame is sitting in my room now and I want to get it built up as soon as I can. So here come the questions:

It has a 1" fork, so wil this headset be ok? https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1827 I then presume I will have to buy the star nut seperatly, will this one suffice? https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/MP...et/5300005192/

For the chainring and cranks I'm liking this set https://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP1435...%26TRACK%3dDDI. However I haven't got a clue what bottom bracket I need, 68mm with english threads but after that I don't know what to buy. And can anyone recommend a cheaper chainset?

I will have more questions relating to wheelsets and bottom bracket installation, but they can wait for now.

Anyway sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.

Michael
Old 02-28-09, 11:17 AM
bigvegan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The headset should be fine, and should come with a star nut included, but you might want to double check before you order.

"can anyone recommend a cheaper chainset?"

The Pake crankset goes for about $60 here in the states, which is MUCH cheaper than the 137 POUND Stronglight, but it may be made of a different alloy.

Both take a 107mm spindle (68mm shell) bottom bracket (the Shimano UN54 is a good value).

I run the Pake Crank/Shimano UN54bb on my bike and it seems like a good combo for a decent price, but if you're doing serious racing, you may want to talk to the guys at the track and see what they recommend.
Old 02-28-09, 11:52 AM
mcr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply bigvegan, I'll check out the Pake cranksets. I'm fine with installing the headset but I'm unsure on what tool/tools i'll need for installing the Bottom Bracket, any ideas?

Also I will be racing but it won't be to serious,I'll be using the bike on the street a bit as well.
Old 02-28-09, 01:37 PM
bigvegan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom bracket - Shimano bottom bracket tool -
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cy...no/5360041220/ (or similar, this one was cheap), plus wrench to turn said tool.

Crank - Allen wrench is needed to install. (Crank removal tool will be necessary to take it back off.)

Also, buy crank bolts, as they don't come with the cranks
Old 03-01-09, 08:38 AM
mcr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having problems sourcing a Pake crankset in the UK, so after looking around I've came across this Sugino RD2 crankset Will the Shimano UN54 bottom bracket still work with this crankset?

And is that tool all I need to install the BB? Just put that on the bottom bracket and tighten away with a spanner?
Old 03-01-09, 09:01 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mcr23
I'm having problems sourcing a Pake crankset in the UK, so after looking around I've came across this Sugino RD2 crankset Will the Shimano UN54 bottom bracket still work with this crankset?
No, you need at minimum a 103mm bb for that crankset and that gives you a retaraded 45mm chainline. Do not buy that crankset. If you can afford it just go straight to something like campy record/dura ace or maybe even the sugino 75's. Otherwise you'll just end up upgrading later anyways.

Star nut should be included with that S-2 cane creek headset you listed.
Old 03-01-09, 09:26 AM
mcr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that you mention it I would just upgrade, so if I bought these Dura Ace cranks would I still be able to use Shimano UN54 BB?

I suppose the chainline will be affected by what wheels I buy too, any recommendations on what would be a good but not to expensive set of wheels, preferably with a white rim?
Old 03-02-09, 03:29 AM
mcr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUMP

anyone got an opinion on that crank and bb combination?
Old 03-02-09, 05:32 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mcr23
BUMP

anyone got an opinion on that crank and bb combination?
The 7600 cranks take a 109mm JIS square taper bb for the correct chainline. UN54's closest approximation is the 107mm - the 110 offers the exact same chainline. You can extrapolate what spindle length are supposed to work with the resulting consequences in chainline.

Last edited by operator; 03-02-09 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 06:33 AM
mcr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so I'm right in thinking that this BB will give me a perfect or near a enough chainline with the 7600 cranks?
Old 03-02-09, 10:10 AM
mcr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah **** ignore the above post, I made a mistake and linked the wrong BB. It's looking like the Dura Ace crankset/BB/chainring combo is gonna work out a bit to expensive. So... before I go ahead and order, will this Sugino SG75 with the standard Sugino 75 BB work and produce a perfect chainline?