Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Patching Party

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Patching Party

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-21, 11:53 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Patch Party.... Great... AHhhhhhh... The smell of Toluene on a good patch... VICTORY!

C6H5H + CH3Cl → C6H5CH3 + HCl
Old 04-23-21, 01:29 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I thought I'd contribute a photo of my tube repair items that were not mentioned so far. I buy the glue in larger cans and dilute it when necessary. For road use I pour the glue in small glass vials and none ever gets wasted. Two good solvents for the glue are Trichloroethylene, employed by Rema, and Heptane. I have used Heptane to soften the rubber before gluing and in particular I managed to glue back this way the grips that were cut too short. Except by a close inspection you could not tell that they were cut before. One extra item of interest is the leak detector, the small round box. It is not as effective as the face, but once you put the glue on and cannot find the leak anymore, you'd rather use some other device, than the face, to get it back.

From My Tube Repair Kit

Last edited by 2_i; 04-23-21 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-23-21, 01:47 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Stuart meet Bib. (Bib is Michelin's mascot for those who don't know). Andy
And, I believe one of the oldest corporate mascots on the planet. He was born before tires were black, and he never updated. The mascot’s name is actually "Bibendum" from the Latin phrase "Nunc est bibendum,” or “now is the time to drink.
A suitable mascot for this activity, doncha think?

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 04-23-21 at 01:52 PM.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 04-23-21, 03:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
why not switch to tubeless? Or do goat heads rip too big a hole? I don’t have goatheads where I ride. At least not enough that I would be made aware if their presence with tons of flats
Because tubeless is more of a hassle in my opinion than tubes and patching. I’ve got 11 bikes in my garage...7 of them mine...and I don’t relish the idea of maintaining that many tubeless tires.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-23-21, 04:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Good Lord, how many flats do you people get?

i think I buy about one small patch kit with a small tube of glue and 5 patches every couple years.
Old 04-23-21, 05:44 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Most people here either run a shop, provide bike services for coops, neighbors, family and friends, or provide basic service for a nominal fee, so it makes sense to buy in bulk (at least that is what I tell myself!). Besides, there's always Murphy's law lurking; I can go a year without flats, and then have SIX in a 30-mile ride (so, beware now that you said that you go flatless for a long time...).
Old 04-23-21, 06:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Here's the follow up numbers. Of the 11 tubes patched 10 hold air past a day. The 3 that had no found hole still held air. All 13 of these will go back into service. So of the 16 I had set aside over the last couple of years 3 are in the trash bin. Andy
Old 04-24-21, 05:12 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Good Lord, how many flats do you people get?

i think I buy about one small patch kit with a small tube of glue and 5 patches every couple years.
In our volunteer shop, we typical change about 20-30 tubes a week.... patch parties are on every other Friday, beer included

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 04-24-21, 06:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
In our volunteer shop, we typical change about 20-30 tubes a week.... patch parties are on every other Friday, beer included
Ah. I guess if you are fixing flats for a bunch of other people that would add up.
Old 04-24-21, 07:22 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Rochester's non profit bike recycler (R Community Bikes) has a fellow who is challenged as PC labels go. His job is to patch tubes. I have seen his work spot and it puts all of ours to shame. Very simple, everything at hand and he's real fast. Practice makes perfect as they say. Andy
Old 04-24-21, 07:30 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
My daddy taught me how to patch when I was 10. I will occasionally follow his directions in lighting the glue on fire momentarily to help with the stick.
Old 04-24-21, 08:17 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
My daddy taught me how to patch when I was 10. I will occasionally follow his directions in lighting the glue on fire momentarily to help with the stick.
Not necessary anymore with current vulcanizing fluids. You may even weaken or destroy it's bonding power. Just let the fluid dry before applying the patch and it should last as long as the tire.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-24-21, 08:43 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
It's been a while (and I didn't cheat and read any post other than the OP). That red patch? I believe it is the Velox tubular patch. That came in the the little orange metal box.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-24-21, 08:48 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Not necessary anymore with current vulcanizing fluids. You may even weaken or destroy it's bonding power. Just let the fluid dry before applying the patch and it should last as long as the tire.
It hasn’t been necessary since the 1930s and the process that used heat didn’t set the vulcanizing fluid on fire. It used a patch, a clamp, and a special brick that was set on fire to heat the clamp and tire at the same time. No fire came in direct contact with the rubber.

This idea of setting the glue on fire to make the patch work better is a bit of erroneous folklore based on a misunderstanding of the hot patch method that has been passed down for 100 years or more now.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-24-21, 09:36 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Haven’t had one fail. Besides, I only do the burn ocassionally.
Old 04-24-21, 02:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It hasn’t been necessary since the 1930s and the process that used heat didn’t set the vulcanizing fluid on fire. It used a patch, a clamp, and a special brick that was set on fire to heat the clamp and tire at the same time. No fire came in direct contact with the rubber.

This idea of setting the glue on fire to make the patch work better is a bit of erroneous folklore based on a misunderstanding of the hot patch method that has been passed down for 100 years or more now.

I also think the chemistry of "rubber" tubes (and patches and their glue) has changed over the years. What was proper technique and substances nearly 100 years ago isn't the case these days. Or so I've read. Andy (who believes everything that has been published in print bit not so much so on line )
Old 04-24-21, 04:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Here's the follow up numbers. Of the 11 tubes patched 10 hold air past a day. The 3 that had no found hole still held air. All 13 of these will go back into service. So of the 16 I had set aside over the last couple of years 3 are in the trash bin. Andy
Those 3 with no holes presta? The guys I ride with don't patch, so I get a pile going. Pretty sure those presta valves didn't always get screwed back down and would burp.
Old 04-24-21, 04:43 PM
cyccommute 

I also think the chemistry of "rubber" tubes (and patches and their glue) has changed over the years. What was proper technique and substances nearly 100 years ago isn't the case these days. Or so I've read. Andy (who believes everything that has been published in print bit not so much so on line )
The Rema system was invented in the mid30s. The procedure was described in Scientific American in 1921. After World War II, synthetic rubber...butadiene/styrene co-polymer...became the dominant rubber source. It’s still the dominate rubber. From about WWII on, the chemistry of the tires has been fairly static with minor changes in formulation.

Even when hot patches had to be used, the “hot” part didn’t involve setting the tube on fire. Here’s a video of a hot patch

I really wish he would have put a lid on the mineral spirits, however.

Old 04-24-21, 05:39 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
If Hunter Thompson patched a tire...
Old 04-24-21, 07:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The Rema system was invented in the mid30s. The procedure was described in Scientific American in 1921. After World War II, synthetic rubber...butadiene/styrene co-polymer...became the dominant rubber source. It’s still the dominate rubber. From about WWII on, the chemistry of the tires has been fairly static with minor changes in formulation.

Even when hot patches had to be used, the “hot” part didn’t involve setting the tube on fire. Here’s a video of a hot patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennV0BVFZVw

I really wish he would have put a lid on the mineral spirits, however.
At least he got his beer out of the way before the fireworks Andy
Old 04-25-21, 09:06 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
My old man taught me the same back when Ike was the president. I don't do it, but it's a fond memory.
Old 04-26-21, 06:39 AM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Andrew, What is the device, in picture 1, on which the tubes are hanging?
Old 04-26-21, 06:45 AM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I have found a wallpaper seam roller to be handy for applying patches.
Old 04-26-21, 11:53 AM
MikeTé

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
On our way to our last Patching party....

Last edited by MikeTé; 04-26-21 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-26-21, 03:09 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Patching party

It brought to mind when I got 5 flats in a hundred miles riding across Wyoming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.