Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do replaceable hangers wear?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 03:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts

On a bike I recently bought used, I noticed the rear wheel shifts a little after riding. Taking it apart, I found that the right dropout was larger and keyhole shaped, measuring at 11.2mm compared to 9.8mm on the left. Is this a thing that happens, or did the previous owner mess with something?

FWIW this is on a 2005 Raleigh Pursuit tandem.

Old 05-12-21, 04:55 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Can't tell if this is the same or not but do a search for other mfrs of the dropout to compare. My guess is yours is damaged/worn. Tandem - 2005 | Rear, Mech, & Gear Derailleur Hangers | DerailleurHanger.com Hangers don't normally wear that way unless maybe the bike was ridden with a loose quick release for awhile or it was filed to correct a misaligned rear triangle or ???

Last edited by Crankycrank; 05-12-21 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-12-21, 07:33 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Can't tell if this is the same or not but do a search for other mfrs of the dropout to compare. My guess is yours is damaged/worn. Tandem - 2005 | Rear, Mech, & Gear Derailleur Hangers | DerailleurHanger.com Hangers don't normally wear that way unless maybe the bike was ridden with a loose quick release for awhile or it was filed to correct a misaligned rear triangle or ???
I already found the right hanger and am expecting it next week, and yeah for some reason derailleurhanger.com has the wrong one, but thanks anyway! I hadn't thought about the loose QR possibility, maybe that's it. Either way, it's getting replaced.
Old 05-12-21, 07:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Most replacement hangers are made of Al. There are different alloys of Al with different hardness ratings but most all hangers will be made from a easily formed alloy and we don't see significant differences between OEM and aftermarket ones. of at least the dozens we replace each year. One factor that can effect hanger face wear is what the QR axle end cap/nut is made of (in addition to the mentioned clamping force). An Al end cap will indent and wear the hanger less then a steel end cap/nut. We have seen bikes with heavily worn/indented drop out faces, generally on Al frames/hangers, but rarely enough to hinder axle/QR purchase to the drop out. Andy
Old 05-13-21, 07:31 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I would say...... that wear doesn't matter.....oversize is ok. The axel locates on the dropout, not the hanger.
Old 05-13-21, 07:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by trailangel
I would say...... that wear doesn't matter.....oversize is ok. The axel locates on the dropout, not the hanger.
There are replaceable hangers that contact the axle ends, Many Cannondales come to mind.

The Paragon dropouts that I have used on the last two disk braked frames I've made have a steel hanger option, for better or not, in addition to the usual Al. Andy
Old 05-13-21, 07:58 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by trailangel
Edit: I see what you're saying now. The dropout in the frame is also notched like that.

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-13-21 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 03:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I know the part is called a derailleur hanger, but that is the dropout you’re looking at with the enlarged hole. In this case, is does in fact cause the axle to shift forward and make the tire almost touch the left chain stay.
The only image so far in this thread is of a replaceable hanger, NOT the drop out. So your above statement is showing confusion or you posted the wrong photo... Andy
Old 05-13-21, 04:07 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The only image so far in this thread is of a replaceable hanger, NOT the drop out. So your above statement is showing confusion or you posted the wrong photo... Andy
Edit: Now I understand what Trailangel was trying to say, but wouldn't the opening on the hanger still be considered part of the dropout? Anyway, the right dropout on the frame is also notched like that.

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-13-21 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 05:15 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

This conversation did make me realize that this problem isn't just on the derailleur hanger but also on the frame itself. Just pulled the wheel off again to check and yep! Looks like the previous owner did it on purpose, although I can't imagine why. So what is my best plan? Hope the new hanger fixes the problem and holds the axle in the correct place by itself? File away at the other side until the axle fits in straight again? Something else I haven't thought of?
Old 05-13-21, 05:46 PM
Crankycrank

This conversation did make me realize that this problem isn't just on the derailleur hanger but also on the frame itself. Just pulled the wheel off again to check and yep! Looks like the previous owner did it on purpose, although I can't imagine why. So what is my best plan? Hope the new hanger fixes the problem and holds the axle in the correct place by itself? File away at the other side until the axle fits in straight again? Something else I haven't thought of?
Could be the frame was bent or just not manufactured with perfect alignment. You won't know until the new hanger arrives if there is a problem and if there is you'll need to determine if the frame can be re-aligned or if the only solution is to file the dropout. Also, if you have a slipping axle tightening the QR certainly helps but you don't want to have to use gorilla strength. What brand/type of QR do you have (photo?). Some are better than others.
Old 05-13-21, 05:54 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Could be the frame was bent or just not manufactured with perfect alignment. You won't know until the new hanger arrives if there is a problem and if there is you'll need to determine if the frame can be re-aligned or if the only solution is to file the dropout. Also, if you have a slipping axle tightening the QR certainly helps but you don't want to have to use gorilla strength. What brand/type of QR do you have (photo?). Some are better than others.
They're some generic external cam ones, but the reason the axle slips is because that notch is just slightly below the top of the opening. Just enough to locate the wheel properly when putting it on, but not enough to let the wheel stay there when the drivetrain starts pulling on it. Either way, I wouldn't want to rely on a QR to keep an axle in its place.

I guess I'll just see what happens when the new hanger gets here.
Old 05-13-21, 05:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I have done this very "correction" on both production frames and some I have made. Vertical drop outs have very little tolerance for being having equally lengthed stays. Horizontals have some fudge in the chain stay plane at least. Likely at some point before you owned this bike someone decided to do this modding of the drop out to, likely, center a rim between the stays better. Or the QR was so un tensioned for so long that the axle's threads (it is a threaded axle?) acted as a file and chewed away the dropout and hanger's face during riding.

If with proper QR tightening the wheel won't stay put and shifts forward on the RH side the solution is to file the LH side dropout face to match and/or recenter the rim between the stays.

BTW if you're using one of those poorly designed open cam QR's ditch it for a steel end capped and enclosed QR for better retention. Andy
Old 05-13-21, 06:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If with proper QR tightening the wheel won't stay put and shifts forward on the RH side the solution is to file the LH side dropout face to match and/or recenter the rim between the stays.
Thanks. Unless you see a reason not to, I'll see if a better pair of QR's combined with the new hanger solves the problem, then resort to filing the left side as plan B.

*Off to search for a 145mm axle internal cam skewer.
Old 05-13-21, 08:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Thanks. Unless you see a reason not to, I'll see if a better pair of QR's combined with the new hanger solves the problem, then resort to filing the left side as plan B.

*Off to search for a 145mm axle internal cam skewer.
Search for a tandem QR. Andy
Old 05-19-21, 10:17 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Just as Trailangel said, the new hanger and skewer did not solve the problem. Before I take a file to the left dropout, what would make that side of the wheel stay forward in its new place since it's not being torqued forward by the drivetrain like the right side?
Old 05-19-21, 01:01 PM
Crankycrank

Just as Trailangel said, the new hanger and skewer did not solve the problem. Before I take a file to the left dropout, what would make that side of the wheel stay forward in its new place since it's not being torqued forward by the drivetrain like the right side?
Even in the old days of horizontal dropouts this was not an issue with a quality QR. I would also still use the old dropout that's already filed properly if it's still usable. Good example of a quick release doing all the work of holding the wheel in place.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 05-19-21 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-19-21, 01:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Even in the old days of horizontal dropouts this was not an issue with a quality QR. I would also still use the old dropout that's already filed properly if it's still usable.
That doesn't seem to be the case with the right side, perhaps because (unlike a horizontal dropout) there's no material on the bottom to grab?
Old 05-19-21, 03:05 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You might post some pics of each side of frame dropout, what QR you have, etc.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 05-20-21, 02:23 PM
adipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
magic gear...

some folks will file from the dropout and derailleur hanger to be able to use a chain that is either a bit too long or too short on a singlespeed setup with no chain tensioning device. i haven't done this thing yet.
Old 05-20-21, 09:18 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
They're some generic external cam ones
Replace them with either Shimano-or-better internal cam skewers, or the allen-wrench Phil Wood ones. I had the Phils on my aluminum (Rodriguez) tandem, never an issue.

Tandems are hell on (rear) wheels, and cheap external-cam skewers suck even on singles.

--Shannon