Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Moving around on the saddle Road bike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-21, 05:53 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts

I'm curious if it's normal to move around on the saddle on a road bike. My bottom always stays pretty comfortable with the saddle I'm using. But sometimes if my hands are getting a bit sore I will scoot back for a while and lift some weight off my hands. After my hands are back to normal I end up back in the same previous spot on the saddle. Is it normal to move about like this one the saddle? It seems like my body tries to stay in the same spot even if I move the saddle around. So if I were to move my saddle back I'm more likely to sit farther forward on the saddle than move with it. I've never seen any real rules about just where you sit on the saddle and just assume you gravitate to the most comfortable spot.
Old 06-08-21, 06:20 AM
GameHasNoName

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From my experience:
- it can be stem is too long which causes you to stretching forward and therefore increasing pressure on hands;
- it can be saddle angle being too negative causing increased pressure on hands;
- it can be saddle being too forward on the rails causing increased pressure on hands;

To check if my hands are "over-weighted" I did balance test. On the trainer: try slowly move hands off the handlebars while pedalling with a good effort (not maximum but steady), better description can be googled as "bike fit balance test". You should not move forward on the saddle while raising your hands and you should feel smooth pedaling.

Overall position on the bike should not feel like "doing a plank" and it should be more like "you can play on a piano".
Old 06-08-21, 07:09 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Originally Posted by GameHasNoName
From my experience:
- it can be stem is too long which causes you to stretching forward and therefore increasing pressure on hands;
- it can be saddle angle being too negative causing increased pressure on hands;
- it can be saddle being too forward on the rails causing increased pressure on hands;

To check if my hands are "over-weighted" I did balance test. On the trainer: try slowly move hands off the handlebars while pedalling with a good effort (not maximum but steady), better description can be googled as "bike fit balance test". You should not move forward on the saddle while raising your hands and you should feel smooth pedaling.

Overall position on the bike should not feel like "doing a plank" and it should be more like "you can play on a piano".
I don’t have a huge problem with my hands, but after riding an hour or something I will move them around for a while. When I’m scooted back on the saddle I am more balanced and can lift my hands off the bars while riding. Should I try to ride more scooted back even if I want to gravitate more forward and my bottom is good? Or is it more normal to shift around a bit during long rides?
Old 06-08-21, 07:33 AM
GameHasNoName

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
Should I try to ride more scooted back even if I want to gravitate more forward and my bottom is good?
I'm currently have similar problem, where more scooted back position is good for my hands, but not so good for pedaling, can't really suggest anything here

Should I try to ride more scooted back even if I want to gravitate more forward and my bottom is good? Or is it more normal to shift around a bit during long rides?
if i would be in your place and there was no big issues (like even small hand numbness or considerable hand fatigue) I would just continue to ride
Likes For GameHasNoName:
Old 06-08-21, 01:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
You can sit anywhere on the saddle you feel comfortable. If you have to work to maintain that position you want, then something is wrong. Usually reach. Sometimes tilt. Might also be an indicator you have the wrong bike for you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-10-21, 08:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,859 Times in 3,006 Posts
It’s totally normal to move around on the saddle from time to time on long rides. That’s why some people prefer long flat saddle profiles. But some people also prefer to sit in a more static position. There are no rules on this. Just do what feels natural as long as you are not fighting an obvious problem.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-11-21, 07:49 AM
BikingViking793 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s totally normal to move around on the saddle from time to time on long rides. That’s why some people prefer long flat saddle profiles. But some people also prefer to sit in a more static position. There are no rules on this. Just do what feels natural as long as you are not fighting an obvious problem.
thanks. I will shift hands a little and saddle, but feel good at the end of the ride.
Old 06-11-21, 12:26 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,859 Times in 3,006 Posts
thanks. I will shift hands a little and saddle, but feel good at the end of the ride.
Sounds like you are well sorted. It would actually be weird to sit in precisely the same position for 5 or 6 hours! It's more natural to shuffle around a bit and stand up occasionally. My saddle allows a couple of inches of movement fore-aft, which I do use during a ride. I also make full use of my bar drops, hoods and tops. That's why they are there.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-11-21, 12:54 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I tend to move back when I am putting more force on the pedals, e.g. for uphill seated grinding. I guess my brain thinks I get better leverage that way..

In general I am in agreement with the above posters that moving to the most natural position of the moment is a good thing.