Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Why Bamboo?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Why Bamboo?

Old 06-14-21, 12:29 PM
  #26  
Nessism
Senior Member
 
Nessism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,994

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 117 Posts
I think a lot of guy like the idea of making a frame, but the cost and complexity of welding/brazing, and difficulties with fixturing, makes it prohibitive. Working with bamboo, which is a lot like woodworking, is considerably less intimidating though. And credit to Calfee on his simple PVC jig and youtube instruction guide, which further brings the project down to earth so to speak. Factor in the novelty of owning a bamboo frame too. If well constructed they seem to last a reasonable period of time so why not?
Nessism is offline  
Likes For Nessism:
Old 06-14-21, 12:35 PM
  #27  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,637 Times in 1,174 Posts
Calfee also posted how to build a carbon frame, but it's gone now. Much more tempting for me.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 06-14-21, 12:58 PM
  #28  
Canaboo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's cool if you want to feel that way. The construction is exactly the same as one of their tow wrapped carbon bikes though..

As far as marketing pufffery, you could say the same for any frame material.

You might change your mind if you try one.
Canaboo is offline  
Old 06-16-21, 11:23 AM
  #29  
guy153
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
I think a lot of guy like the idea of making a frame, but the cost and complexity of welding/brazing, and difficulties with fixturing, makes it prohibitive. Working with bamboo, which is a lot like woodworking, is considerably less intimidating though. And credit to Calfee on his simple PVC jig and youtube instruction guide, which further brings the project down to earth so to speak. Factor in the novelty of owning a bamboo frame too. If well constructed they seem to last a reasonable period of time so why not?
Agree. The stoke of riding a frame you made yourself far exceeds any actual differences in the performance of the materials. Bamboo opens this up to more people. It's also actually a pretty good material (but given the choice I do much prefer steel personally).

A friend of mine made one and sadly it did fall apart due to weathering after a few years.
guy153 is offline  
Old 06-16-21, 12:11 PM
  #30  
seibaatgung
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153 View Post
Agree. The stoke of riding a frame you made yourself far exceeds any actual differences in the performance of the materials. Bamboo opens this up to more people. It's also actually a pretty good material (but given the choice I do much prefer steel personally).

A friend of mine made one and sadly it did fall apart due to weathering after a few years.
Is it actually more or less springy than steel?
seibaatgung is offline  
Old 06-16-21, 01:18 PM
  #31  
Canaboo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Springy by actual specs or how it 'feels" when ridden? That's going to vary somewhat based on bamboo type and diameter.
Canaboo is offline  
Likes For Canaboo:
Old 06-16-21, 08:59 PM
  #32  
seibaatgung
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Canaboo View Post
Springy by actual specs or how it 'feels" when ridden? That's going to vary somewhat based on bamboo type and diameter.
both
seibaatgung is offline  
Old 06-17-21, 07:23 AM
  #33  
Canaboo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by seibaatgung View Post
both
It rides quite similar,
Canaboo is offline  
Old 06-20-21, 06:23 AM
  #34  
JonnyHK 
Senior Member
 
JonnyHK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,419

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Is there more than one kit? The Calfee kit was on Kickstarter when I bought it but I havenít checked in lately whatís for sale.

Luke and Anakin both lost their right hands; Anakin rather more than that.

A few companies or projects have come and gone.

I really like the look of the new pre-made lugs here.
JonnyHK is offline  
Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 06-20-21, 09:40 AM
  #35  
seibaatgung
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
A few companies or projects have come and gone.

I really like the look of the new pre-made lugs here.
Pretty sure calfee is still selling
seibaatgung is offline  
Old 06-30-21, 11:17 PM
  #36  
blowindian
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canaboo View Post
It rides quite similar,
I can confirmed that.

It's quite comfortable and ride smooth. It's not a fast bike, but it can go fast. The one I borrow from a friend for test ride have a lot of flex. It's very noticeable when it went 35kph up. I pushed until around 45kph and it start to wobble.

I was curious about bamboo bike when I saw two cyclist ride it on 1000km brevet earlier this year. Turn up they also ride this bike on PBP 2019.

This one have a treated and laminated bamboo tubing. I think it still can be improved because the problem is more in the geometry and joints. And yes, it's heavy. This one is about 12 kg.

P.S.: Sorry, can not post photo here because I am new. Need more 9 posts before I can post a photo.
blowindian is offline  
Old 06-30-21, 11:56 PM
  #37  
seibaatgung
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by blowindian View Post
I can confirmed that.

It's quite comfortable and ride smooth. It's not a fast bike, but it can go fast. The one I borrow from a friend for test ride have a lot of flex. It's very noticeable when it went 35kph up. I pushed until around 45kph and it start to wobble.

I was curious about bamboo bike when I saw two cyclist ride it on 1000km brevet earlier this year. Turn up they also ride this bike on PBP 2019.

This one have a treated and laminated bamboo tubing. I think it still can be improved because the problem is more in the geometry and joints. And yes, it's heavy. This one is about 12 kg.

P.S.: Sorry, can not post photo here because I am new. Need more 9 posts before I can post a photo.
please return then.
seibaatgung is offline  
Old 07-01-21, 12:13 AM
  #38  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,637 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by blowindian View Post
P.S.: Sorry, can not post photo here because I am new. Need more 9 posts before I can post a photo.
upload pictures to an album in your gallery and let us know. We can post them here for you. Don't forget to click the "upload" button in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box
unterhausen is offline  
Old 07-01-21, 12:22 AM
  #39  
blowindian
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
upload pictures to an album in your gallery and let us know. We can post them here for you. Don't forget to click the "upload" button in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box
Thanks.
Done.
blowindian is offline  
Old 07-01-21, 06:51 AM
  #40  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,637 Times in 1,174 Posts
Pic assist
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-08-21, 08:14 PM
  #41  
andyinabox
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Possibly a desire to ride a bike made of sustainable materials, which I think is misguided.
Why is this misguided? I'm not really that interested in bamboo bikes but this is definitely the one thing that would make me interested. I know the sustainability of bamboo is a little overblown, but I'd imagine it's better than the alternative options for bike frames. Esp for people that get into bikes as a more eco-friendly form of transportation, it makes a lot of sense to look into something like bamboo.
andyinabox is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 11:11 PM
  #42  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,637 Times in 1,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I think steel and aluminum are quite possibly more sustainable and imo make better bikes. There isn't any good data, so it's a matter of conjecture and opinion.
You are welcome to keep your own, I'm not going to try to persuade you otherwise.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 09-09-21, 06:20 AM
  #43  
andyinabox
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess I came in a little hot as somebody new to the forum, but seems worth discussing since it answers OP's original question. What makes a "good" bike is definitely subjective, but there's plenty of data out there on the sustainability of materials if you're willing to wade through it. I don't have any expertise in this but everything I've seen seems to indicate that both steel and aluminum production have a huge environmental impact, even when recycled. Titanium seems to be even worse, and there's a ton of waste in carbon fiber production because it can't be easily recycled.

On the other hand bamboo has a few things going for it -- it's good at turning CO2 into O2, grows quickly and can be harvested without too much impact on the landscape. But then most of the bamboo you see (at least in the US) is shipped from China which is not so great, and it can become an invasive species. And like any crop, growing it in large quantities tends to lead to less eco-friendly agricultural practices.

But I can imagine if I were coming at this primarily motivated by environmental concerns, I might see the potential in bamboo and maybe want to figure out how to make better bikes out of it.
andyinabox is offline  
Old 09-09-21, 07:48 AM
  #44  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,637 Times in 1,174 Posts
Making bikes from bamboo is more accessible for a lot of people and probably a good gateway into making bikes from other materials. Making a ridable bike from materials is fun, even if the bike is made from ramen noodles. The answer to the OP's question is "because they can." Pretty simple really. Most of us do things that might not hold up well under scrutiny from a lot of people, but bamboo frames are somewhat visible and not the norm so people feel free to be critical. Like why do I make frames when I could probably do better just getting what I want from someone else for less money and effort? Well, the answer to that is "what's it to you?"

OTOH, this thread shows that materials wars are contentious and contain a lot of noise and conjecture while contributing nothing of value. This forum is about making bike frames, but people feel free to dump their own personal hobby horses in here from time to time. We like to celebrate anyone that makes the effort to make a frame, no matter what the material. Navel gazing that's not in the service of making a frame is tolerated, but not particularly welcomed.
unterhausen is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.