Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Resting Surly Bike On Forks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Resting Surly Bike On Forks

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-21, 09:35 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I always squirt frame saver in steel frames because it's cheap and I have a can so it can't hurt, but I always wonder if it actually does anything. It's like taking vitamins--how do you prove that it prevented something?

If someone wants to fund a study I'd be happy to do an experiment where I compare a frame with and without frame saver after riding them on gravel throughout a Kansas winter. Maybe I'll weld the bikes together so they get the exact same amount of mileage and conditions. I'll start the gofundme posthaste.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 06-23-21, 03:33 AM
Champ340

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I don't. I treat the frames and forks heavily using two applications about 48 hours apart and rotate them frequently while they they drying. I do this when everything is new and before the bike is built up. After that the frame is considered protected for life.

I have a 1983 Trek 400 frame I bought used in the early 1990's and Amsoil treated it and the fork right after I bought it. It was my rain / bad weather bike for 15 years and then rebuilt as a fixie for my son-in-law. It's still in great shape with no retreatment.
Last question sorry. Do you keep the water bottle bolts and other bolts in the frame when you spray the frame saver?
Old 06-23-21, 04:37 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ340
Last question sorry. Do you keep the water bottle bolts and other bolts in the frame when you spray the frame saver?
To be honest, I doubt that it matters. I suppose if someone felt the urge to add copious amounts of frame treatment then having all of the holes plugged would be good for keeping all of it inside the frame while you roll it around for coverage. I like to swish it around inside the frame, then prop it up in a fashion that will allow as much of it as possible to drain out.
Old 06-30-21, 02:02 AM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
To be honest, I doubt that it matters. I suppose if someone felt the urge to add copious amounts of frame treatment then having all of the holes plugged would be good for keeping all of it inside the frame while you roll it around for coverage. I like to swish it around inside the frame, then prop it up in a fashion that will allow as much of it as possible to drain out.
Is it ok to get it in the frame where the seatpost goes in? Eg will it stop the seatpost going in? Also is it ok to go on the bottom bracket threads? Thanks so much for you help. Product is on its way.
Old 06-30-21, 06:03 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Is it ok to get it in the frame where the seatpost goes in? Eg will it stop the seatpost going in? Also is it ok to go on the bottom bracket threads? Thanks so much for you help. Product is on its way.
It truly doesnt matter where it goes, and in my humble opinion, getting it into the most-inaccessible crooks and crannys is what you should be trying to do anyway. Any amount of film inside the seat tube would be inconsequential to seatpost fitment, but you can fashion a "swab" out of a coat hanger and a piece of rag to clean out the seat tube. My method is to clean out the seatpost and then coat inside the tube with a grease-laden rag. I have made my own steel rod with a needle-eye on one end in which a cotton rag can be attached. I'll turn the frame upside down over a trash can, and hose out the seat tube with WD40, and let it drip into the can, and use the "swab" to clean out the seat tube, and recoat the insides of the tube with fresh grease. I also perform the same procedure to a lesser degree on the head tube.
Old 06-30-21, 08:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Yes, the rustproofer film won't interfere with installing the seatpost, the post will just push it out of the way. Same for the BB threads. And, yes, I remove all of the water bottle cage, rack mount, etc. bolts before treating the frame and use those holes to squirt the stuff into along with the tube ends and fork and stay vent holes.

After the rustproofing has been completed and dried, you can clean off exterior overspray and leakage with kerosene. It will remove the overspray and won't damage the paint.
Old 07-01-21, 03:42 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
It truly doesnt matter where it goes, and in my humble opinion, getting it into the most-inaccessible crooks and crannys is what you should be trying to do anyway. Any amount of film inside the seat tube would be inconsequential to seatpost fitment, but you can fashion a "swab" out of a coat hanger and a piece of rag to clean out the seat tube. My method is to clean out the seatpost and then coat inside the tube with a grease-laden rag. I have made my own steel rod with a needle-eye on one end in which a cotton rag can be attached. I'll turn the frame upside down over a trash can, and hose out the seat tube with WD40, and let it drip into the can, and use the "swab" to clean out the seat tube, and recoat the insides of the tube with fresh grease. I also perform the same procedure to a lesser degree on the head tube.
Brilliant thanks for the reply. I like the idea of the swab. I'll do the same. I'll be using a carbon seatpost so grease is better than carbon paste in your opinion?
Old 07-01-21, 03:45 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, the rustproofer film won't interfere with installing the seatpost, the post will just push it out of the way. Same for the BB threads. And, yes, I remove all of the water bottle cage, rack mount, etc. bolts before treating the frame and use those holes to squirt the stuff into along with the tube ends and fork and stay vent holes.

After the rustproofing has been completed and dried, you can clean off exterior overspray and leakage with kerosene. It will remove the overspray and won't damage the paint.
Onice again thanks alot. Would Muc-Off Bio degreaser work to remove any over spray from the frame?
Old 07-01-21, 06:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Onice again thanks alot. Would Muc-Off Bio degreaser work to remove any over spray from the frame?
Never tried it since kerosene works so well and all you need is to dampen a rag or paper towel with it. Give Muc-Off it a try and let us know.
Old 07-02-21, 07:23 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Brilliant thanks for the reply. I like the idea of the swab. I'll do the same. I'll be using a carbon seatpost so grease is better than carbon paste in your opinion?
As long as you dont weigh 400 pounds, I think the regular grease would be fine, but if you have the paste, it cant hurt. My rule of thumb is that if I'm using carbon components on a steel frame, paste isnt necessary, but carbon-to-carbon its a must. Torqueing it properly is always the key to success with any carbon component anyway.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 07-02-21, 07:25 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Never tried it since kerosene works so well and all you need is to dampen a rag or paper towel with it. Give Muc-Off it a try and let us know.
Kero works great, but I cant stand the smell for too long, so I use WD40, which ironically has as strong an odor as kero. Both work well, so I guess its nice to have a choice? Mineral spirits also work fine.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 07-02-21, 08:02 AM
HillRider

Kero works great, but I cant stand the smell for too long, so I use WD40, which ironically has as strong an odor as kero. Both work well, so I guess its nice to have a choice? Mineral spirits also work fine.
Work outside. and let it evaporate after cleaning. BTW, WD-40 is just mineral spirits with a bit of added oil so, if it's OK, just get a small can of OMS (odorless mineral spirits) which is pretty much the same functionally as kerosene but smells less.
Likes For HillRider: