Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What is the market for a used (Wal-Mart) bike in Europe/Germany?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What is the market for a used (Wal-Mart) bike in Europe/Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-21, 05:28 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Would it not be minimum cost and effort to buy a department store bike on arrival and leave it unlocked at a bike rack on departure?
lets face it, if the fellow is happy riding a walmart bike, then at least he might as well use the bike that he knows (may be) in proper shape for his tour--ie, spokes not busting left right and center, stuff falling off, not shifting well, etc etc. If you buy a new cheap bike, its going to be maybe ok, but maybe not ok, but hey, thats your decision.
I wouldnt do it, but then I like riding my bikes, that I know fit me, the seat works for my arse etc etc, the racks arent falling off etc etc

gives us a nice internet topic to comment on, but to the fellow wanting to do this, I guess if you are happy with your bike, go for it. Just be aware like I said that if you dont get it checked over, you'll possibly be wasting lots of trip time trying to find a bike store,, figuring out German with a mechanic, and wasting time and money ....maybe.....or maybe it will be fine.

we cant answer this stuff for ya
Old 06-15-21, 07:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Would it not be minimum cost and effort to buy a department store bike on arrival and leave it unlocked at a bike rack on departure?
Fly through Amsterdam (which is very FLAT)... and toss it in the canal?
Old 06-16-21, 07:40 AM
jurjan

Bikes: Idworx Easy Rohler (2012) / Velotraum Speedster Single Speed (2019) / Batavus Stabilo (1995, now decommisioned)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mmmhh, I don't know what is wrong with you guys.
Just advising to toss a bike in whatever place you find convenient...

Now, I don't live in Amsterdam (but near), but when I go somewhere I don't like to see garbage, junk etc. littering the country / side of the road, canals or rivers.

If for some reason you do not want to take your bicycle back home, just bring it to the local recycling center.
Most have a place where you can offer it for either recycling or second hand use.

These places are, with a tiny bit on googling, eminently findable.

Please do not litter!

Last edited by jurjan; 06-16-21 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For jurjan:
Old 06-16-21, 08:22 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Earl, as the last fellow said, I'm sure it would be relatively easy to ask around for a used bike store, asking at a bicycle shop or two in the city of your departure.
just be aware that like with any used stuff, you'll get offered probably half or less than what they think they can sell it at, pretty standard used practice.
And take into account, how much time you want to spend doing this stuff, taking time out of your last days.
A bike store will probably know of a bike coop or something also, where the bike would go to good use, if that matters to you.

You have options, but hard to know what your priorities are.
Old 06-16-21, 08:51 PM
EarlVanDorn

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What did you do on your 2018 along the Mosel?
My daughter was with me, so I cheated and used trains and/or buses some. But I've ridden on the Mosel a couple of times, plus once as a teen-ager. I think it is one of the greatest routes ever, because there is a neat little village every three or four miles, and I can't handle hills. It is almost all dedicated bike trails.

In 2013 I started in Saarlouis and took two days to ride to Trier, then headed north to Koblenz. Ended trip in Cochem. In 2018 I started in Trier and ended in Treis-Karten. Would have started in Saarbrucken but I've read the traffic is bad. This year I won't be with my daughter, so expect to go from Saarlouis to Koblenz and then a couple of villages on the Rhine. Not much to see in Saarlouis, but a great little town to stay and have dinner in. I blogged a small portion of both trips, some of which might be interesting.

https://colrebsez.blogspot.com/search/label/bike%20trip
Old 06-17-21, 04:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18417 Post(s)
Liked 15,557 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn
My daughter was with me, so I cheated and used trains and/or buses some.
I mean about the bike.
Old 06-17-21, 10:38 PM
EarlVanDorn

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I mean about the bike.
Stupid me. I've rented a bike from the Trier Train Station once or twice. The bikes were fine. I think the cost is 10 euros a day.
Old 06-17-21, 11:50 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
How about trying to find a local bicycle site beforehand?
People flip bikes all the time, all over the place. Might be possible to find someone ahead of time who’d be interested in taking your bike off your hands once you’re done. Or willing to assist in packing it up for the return trip.
Anyhow, don’t expect much for a 7-speed department store bike. I flipped a Schwinn Gateway earlier this summer https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-wom...m/-/A-15305154

Got USD 70 for it after a heavy session getting it shiny and somewhat sparkly again. Dang, that thing rusted like there was no tomorrow.
Old 06-18-21, 12:03 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
[QUOTE=saddlesores;22102540..........the water level is generally
pretty flat, but the roads alongside?[/QUOTE]

I’ve done a fair bit of touring on inlines. Easier to travel with than bicycles. We plan our routes to either run alongside the river, or a railway. That way, you’re pretty much guaranteed gentle slopes only. One week in Switzerland, and the steepest hill we encountered was in Geneva.
Old 06-24-21, 04:48 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Getting a bike box shouldn't be too hard. Any DIY store or Decathlon could probably give you a fitting box for free.
I have lucked out at Decathlons in France and Spain. They typically crush boxes as soon as they are unpacked and I have found them basically unhelpful in other ways too (unless it’s a regular sale).

LBS’s are often much more helpful. Many throw the boxes out behind their store to be picked up weekly.
Old 06-30-21, 09:32 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine there being any market for it at all, especially as you won't be around that long before your flight leaves.
Old 06-30-21, 09:56 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
When Mrs. Base2 & I went to the Netherlands, the bicycles we purchased from local Craigslist 2 weeks before were simply given to the hotel bartender. Payment was in the form of all the free drinks we could drink the night before we left. Sort of worked itself out nicely.

Maybe a similar situation would present itself? Our original plan was to leave them unlocked (but with locks & keys) on a street corner & walk away.

Last edited by base2; 07-18-21 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-01-21, 12:49 AM
jurjan

Bikes: Idworx Easy Rohler (2012) / Velotraum Speedster Single Speed (2019) / Batavus Stabilo (1995, now decommisioned)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As someone who lives in a country where unfortunately bicycle theft is a real thing:
please don't encourage stealing bikes by leaving bikes that you want to give away by leaving them somewhere public without locks etc.

Other people may well sometimes forget to lock their bikes and will NOT want them taken away.
Likes For jurjan:
Old 07-05-21, 09:29 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have a trip in mind where I will use a low cost city bike - my plan is to fly into Amsterdam and spend a day or two on marktplaas (sp?) and find myself an inexpensive city bike, which I can try to sell at the end if I have time, or donate/abandon, depending on what options I have.

I feel like OP has some connection to their bike that makes them think it might be worth more to someone else than is reasonable. 'Cruiser' bikes from WallMart are absolute cows compared to a real hybrid or city bike. I doubt it will be easy to unload for anything more than $FREE
Old 07-10-21, 11:18 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
What airline will let you bring a bike for free? Most of them now charge a fee.
Old 07-18-21, 08:02 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
What airline will let you bring a bike for free? Most of them now charge a fee.
British Airways and SAS if you keep all your checked luggage under 23kgs.