Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velocity Aerohead Help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Velocity Aerohead Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-21, 07:33 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Velocity Aerohead Help

I was given this wheelset when purchasing a frame (nice guy). He pointed out the crack in the rear offset rim (1/4" long under a spoke). The front rim is in great shape. What makes it interesting (at least for me) is the Dura Ace hubs. I'm kinda stuck on what I should do. I can't / won't be a wheelbuilder anytime soon and the offset would make things even more difficult (I would guess). The old me would just cut the things apart and save the hubs for a rainy day or pass them along. That still may be the best feasible option, but I am opening it up to you guys who are smarter than me to see if there are any better options.

Old 07-18-21, 07:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
If they were mine and I didn't know what to do with them, I'd keep them whole and find a place to hang them up. At present, you have two hubs, 64 spokes, 64 nipples, and one rim that are still good. Mangling nipples or cutting spokes reduces the number of good parts you own.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-18-21, 08:03 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I'd rebuild the wheel with a new rim. The OC rim uses a ERD (effective rim diameter) of 598mm. The Dyad is basically same which means you can use the same spokes.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 07-18-21, 08:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Those are nice wheels. Someone will take them off your hands. Put them up for sale.
Old 07-18-21, 08:57 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
I've been checking the 'bay for rims - just to see if they are available. Not married to the rear wheel being offest - unless the current spokes would dictate that. I think I read where you can move everything over as a single unit because the spokes have seated to the hub. I'm paranoid about buying something close - but ends up not working. The second listing is for a pair. Finding the exact match would be challenging.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28433803535...gAAOSwlChgv3Cm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20335372826...EAAOSwd9pgfeek

Last edited by sdn40; 07-18-21 at 09:09 PM.