Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Shimano PD-EH500 vs. PD-T421 pedals

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 12:04 PM
Zebra Tempest

Bikes: 1986 Zebra Tempest, 2021 Jamis Renegde S2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all,

I looking to move from toe clips to a dual-sided SPD/flat pedal. I already own Shimano CT-500 shoes (Shimano CT500).
Shimano recommends either the EH-500 or the T421 pedals.

The differences I see are:

T421: click'r technology (whatever that is) Has reflector. Shimano lists for "Trekking" (Shimano T421)
EH500: pins on flat side. Shimano lists for "Multi-Purpose" (Shimano EH500)

Does anyone understand why one would choose one of those vs. the other?

I don't ride in mud or downhill. I'm an adventure rider on paved (75%), dirt road(25%), and I avoid mud, and am not a mountain biker.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-27-21, 12:26 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Zebra Tempest
Hi all,

I looking to move from toe clips to a dual-sided SPD/flat pedal. I already own Shimano CT-500 shoes (Shimano CT500).
Shimano recommends either the EH-500 or the T421 pedals.

The differences I see are:

T421: click'r technology (whatever that is) Has reflector. Shimano lists for "Trekking" (Shimano T421)
EH500: pins on flat side. Shimano lists for "Multi-Purpose" (Shimano EH500)

Does anyone understand why one would choose one of those vs. the other?

I don't ride in mud or downhill. I'm an adventure rider on paved (75%), dirt road(25%), and I avoid mud, and am not a mountain biker.

Thanks for the input.
T421 uses Click'R, which is aimed at beginners (more float and less click in and click out strength). EH500 also comes in a version with sh-56 cleats, which offer more float over the standard but with standard springs.
Old 04-27-21, 12:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Between those two pedals, I would go EH500.
Pedal reflectors...why?

My gravel bike has an older pedal verson of the EH500 called the A530. I use my gravel bike most frequently for family rides to places where I want regular shoes, so the pedal is very convenient since it has a platform option.
Old 04-27-21, 01:54 PM
Zebra Tempest

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
T421 uses Click'R, which is aimed at beginners (more float and less click in and click out strength). EH500 also comes in a version with sh-56 cleats, which offer more float over the standard but with standard springs.
Thanks for that link that explains Clickr. It turns out I am a beginner and never used clipless. Any idea if that might be useful?
Old 04-27-21, 02:13 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Shimano used to make a beginner cleat that you could install on your shoe that made it easier to clip in and out of this looks like they have made more of a system out of it.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 04-27-21, 02:53 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
These are my favorites:
https://www.rei.com/product/116154/s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-27-21, 05:31 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Between those two pedals, I would go EH500.
Pedal reflectors...why?
only thing I can think of is because they sell worldwide and some areas may require pedal reflectors to be street legal. Friend in Stockholm said she has to keep the reflectors that come on wheels in order to be legal..
Likes For franswa:
Old 04-27-21, 07:29 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Zebra Tempest
Thanks for that link that explains Clickr. It turns out I am a beginner and never used clipless. Any idea if that might be useful?
I'd say the product has a short useful life span. How long is one expected to take to learn a pedal system? After that you buy the real deal and discard this one? Just buy the real SPD.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 05-03-21, 01:36 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
I switched my gravel/bikepacking bike last year from Shimano XTR SPD pedals to the EH-500 pedals for versatility, and I’ve been very happy. I’m not a beginner - I’ve used SPDs almost since they were first introduced - and I skipped the included SM-SH56 cleats and use SM-SH51 cleats instead. But I think the EH-500 pedals would be useful for beginners and experienced riders alike.

In my experience, the SPD side functions exactly like the XTR pedals, Shimano’s top product line. And the flat side is comfortable for me with all the shoes and sandals I’ve tried, including very thin hiking/running sandals. The shape of that side is slightly curved, which is fine; and the metal pins definitely help keep my feet in place - enough so that I’d be reluctant to use flat pedals that didn’t have such pins or something similar.

I haven’t tried the other pedals mentioned in this thread.
Likes For scubaman:
Old 05-03-21, 07:02 PM
Zebra Tempest

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Ok, you all convinced me to go with the EH-500. I'm getting them put on in a couple of weeks with a bike fitting. Thanks.