Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano SLR aero levers vs. Dia-compe BRS?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 02:31 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

Another minutia question:
Shimano SLR levers have been recommended for use with Tektro 559 and 650b wheels.
The bike I am converting has Dia-compe Alpha levers that look like all black versions of these:

They are "BRS" levers which I gather is the same sort of return spring set up as the Shimano SLR's.
The question I have is whether they will be as effective with the Tektro brakes.
I have a set of Shimano 105 SLR levers and form follows function, but would prefer to keep the bike matchy matchy, as much as possible.
Thoughts?
Old 06-26-21, 02:35 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Maybe install one of each and ride it for a while, so you can compare? (shrug)
Old 06-26-21, 03:23 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Shimano SLR 105’s every day.

Dia Compe BRS brakes were not their best offering.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-26-21, 11:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't have the original Dia-Compe BRS 500 levers on my '93 Trek 5900 anymore (I've switched to brifters), but still use the BRS 500 calipers (that bike was a mish-mash of the lightest components Trek could find, so there's some Dura Ace, some Dia-Compe, some Chris King, White Industries, Ibis, etc.). I prefer them to the early/mid 2000s Shimano 105 calipers I have on another bike. Nothing wrong with the 105, but the Dia-Compe BRS 500 calipers are smoother and lighter operating while still braking positively (as rim brakes go). But the newer 105 is easier to align and adjust. With some tweaking I might be able to match the BRS 500 braking feel.
Old 06-27-21, 05:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Both levers operate on the same principle and the two samples that I measured have the very similar, if not identical, mechanical advantage. Consequently, the performance should be almost identical. In which case I'd choose whichever one was most comfortable to your hands.
Old 06-27-21, 10:03 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I avoid use of any DiaCompe aero levers having the swiveling "bullet" ferrule inside.

What was perhaps intended to spare the cable housing from a tight bend instead tends to create a very sharp bend in the cable wire where it exits the ferrule, thus creating sawing action against the 2mm ferrule opening and with massive friction resulting.
I think that originally these early-generation levers were intended to have the cable housing ideally entering a drilled hole in the handlebar, sparing the tight exit bend at the ferrule.
Later DC aero levers used fixed inline ferrules, but lined cable housing had little trouble with coping with the sharp bend in the housing. Still less than ideal and I think that Shimano designed their levers around this to a somewhat better degree.