Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folder Commute/Ride Videos

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 07:08 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It's been pretty slow today here on the Folding Bike sub-forum so I thought I'd add a new thread to increase a little participation. I'm really interested to see video footage of other people's commutes/rides on their folder(s). This was done over on the commuter's sub-forum (where I first submitted this vid) and I thought it would be a great addition here as well.

Please submit your entries. This is one of the routes I take to work. It was the first video I took with my newly acquired (Feb 2013) Contour Roam sport video cam. I obviously exercised my editing rights by compressing the timeframe (less of an ordeal to watch) and adding a soundtrack.

Feb 2013 on my Citizen Miami
Old 08-01-13, 07:12 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
excellent.
Old 08-01-13, 07:32 PM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man that was great. I love doing video editing, and at present I'm using two Vegas programs. A couple of years ago I was seriously thinking about getting the Go-pro. I thought about one of the Contour models, but I just wasn't sure whether to go with one of these cams or not. I had so much invested in camera gear as it was. Now you've got my juices flowing again -- darn you . What do you think about the video stability of these little cams? Being of such small size I sort of questioned its stabilization methods/qualities. In normal running speed do you find the video output somewhat jagged or is is relatively smooth? I might go with one later on, but others things first. I do have to prioritize with my rather skinny wallet problem .

Thanx for showing it. I really enjoyed it.

Cheers
Wayne

Edit: I meant to ask what bike are you riding, and how you mounted the cam?
Old 08-01-13, 08:48 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really like the Contour Roam although it may lack in some respects. What I like about it is that it's sleek, like a flashlight instead of like the GoPro which is blocky like a point and shoot and the camera itself is waterproof in even heavy rain. Also the Contour has one big on/off switch so even if it's on my helmet and I'm wearing gloves, it's easily turned off and on and gives me an audible signal letting me know I switched it successfully. It's downside is that it doesn't have a screen to view video I've captured so I have no idea what the video looks like until I've uploaded it to a laptop.

One caveat... I took my Roam to Scotland to video the trip. However I failed to test the mounting quality of the waterproof case that I bought for it before heading out (the case extends it's waterproof abilities from complete water immersion of 1m deep for ~30 minutes to indefinite immersion in water deeper than I'd ever go... I bought the case mainly as a shock and dirt protector for the camera) so the video that I captured was very shaky... something that didn't come to light until I got home from the trip since I didn't have room to bring a laptop with me and check the quality while still on vacation/holiday. This was especially problematic since sites like YouTube recognize shaky video and tries to compensate for it via software manipulation thereby resulting in poor video quality. On top of that I mounted the camera/case to the frame of my bike so the ill fit combined with road shock transferred through the frame made the footage very unstable and shaky.

In short it's a great camera to mount anywhere by itself. However if it's in the waterproof case, mounting it on the frame may be hit or miss... it's better to mount it on a helmet.

As for useful features, I can adjust (via software) mic sensitivity, video from 1080 HD wide-angle to 960 "normal" to 720 HD (almost fish-eye wide) all at 30fps. And since the ROAM is "old tech" I got it for about $100. Also, no matter how the camera is mounted, you can adjust the lens in relation to the horizon via a laser pointer.
Old 08-01-13, 08:56 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Pedaling
Edit: I meant to ask what bike are you riding, and how you mounted the cam?
This was on my Citizen Miami and the camera was mounted via one of the included mounts adhered to the frame. I later bought a frame mount which I used on my trip to Scotland (on my Bike Friday with yellow waterproof case) before removing the first mount from the Miami's frame and adhering it to my helmet for subsequent videos such as my commute to work in the rain video posted elsewhere here on the Folding Bike sub forum.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 08-01-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 09:03 PM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like how most of the cars give you a wide berth.
Old 08-01-13, 09:22 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CenturionIM
I like how most of the cars give you a wide berth.
It's all about "taking the lane". For the past month I've been riding with a co-worker to show her the ropes of commuting by bike since she'd just begun bike-commuting. The last couple of weeks I let her take the lead and in her newbie timid way she'd hug the far right portion of the lane (of a multi-lane one-way, mind you) and as expected, cars would squeeze by in our lane with only inches to spare. When I stopped following directly behind her and rode in the middle of our lane, cars no longer attempted to pass. Sure there were irate drivers yelling at me to move aside or get on the sidewalk but at least they'd get into the other lane to pass.
Old 08-01-13, 10:30 PM
patrockT

Bikes: '81 Schwinn Le Tour, Origami Cricket 7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
It's been pretty slow today here on the Folding Bike sub-forum so I thought I'd add a new thread to increase a little participation. I'm really interested to see video footage of other people's commutes/rides on their folder(s). This was done over on the commuter's sub-forum (where I first submitted this vid) and I thought it would be a great addition here as well.

Please submit your entries. This is one of the routes I take to work. It was the first video I took with my newly acquired (Feb 2013) Contour Roam sport video cam. I obviously exercised my editing rights by compressing the timeframe (less of an ordeal to watch) and adding a soundtrack.

Feb 2013 on my Citizen Miami
MY BLOODY VALENTINE???
SICK!
lol
sorry in advance for the overly enthusiastic response. It's IPA day....
Old 08-01-13, 10:58 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patrockT
MY BLOODY VALENTINE???
SICK!
lol
Ding ding ding... you got it! MBV is awesome... not to mention West Six IPA and 2XIPA, both of which I imbibed earlier in the evening so I'm right there with you.
Old 08-01-13, 11:16 PM
darukhan

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patrockT
MY BLOODY VALENTINE???
SICK!
lol
THIS! This is one of my favorite MBV songs... it goes great with that ride video!
Old 08-01-13, 11:30 PM
patrockT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ding ding ding... you got it! MBV is awesome... not to mention West Six IPA and 2XIPA, both of which I imbibed earlier in the evening so I'm right there with you.
Stone Ruin Ten Double IPA, and a local brewery's double IPA. Happy IPA day! LOL And yes, MBV is AWESOME.
Old 08-01-13, 11:32 PM
patrockT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darukhan
THIS! This is one of my favorite MBV songs... it goes great with that ride video!
Yes! and an IPA!
Old 08-01-13, 11:38 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darukhan
Thanks. It was a toss up between that or Medicine's Time Baby II... IMHO both are very raw durgy core tugging tunes.
Old 08-02-13, 06:56 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so the video that I captured was very shaky...
That's what I was worried about when I thought about buying one. How does one avoid such shaking then, because I have seen some videos done by people who 's results were quite good?

Cheers
Wayne

Last edited by Still Pedaling; 08-02-13 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-02-13, 08:04 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Boy you ride fast lol!
Old 08-02-13, 10:14 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Pedaling
That's what I was worried about when I thought about buying one. How does one avoid such shaking then, because I have seen some videos done by people who 's results were quite good?

Cheers
Wayne
My suggestion is to not use a waterproof case when mounting the camera to the frame of a bike with no suspension. The camera does fine when it's attached directly to the mount.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 08-02-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-02-13, 10:27 AM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all about "taking the lane". For the past month I've been riding with a co-worker to show her the ropes of commuting by bike since she'd just begun bike-commuting. The last couple of weeks I let her take the lead and in her newbie timid way she'd hug the far right portion of the lane (of a multi-lane one-way, mind you) and as expected, cars would squeeze by in our lane with only inches to spare. When I stopped following directly behind her and rode in the middle of our lane, cars no longer attempted to pass. Sure there were irate drivers yelling at me to move aside or get on the sidewalk but at least they'd get into the other lane to pass.
That is what I need to start to do. I guess I better get use to the yelling.
Old 08-02-13, 12:41 PM
darukhan

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. It was a toss up between that or Medicine's Time Baby II... IMHO both are very raw durgy core tugging tunes.
Another great track!
Old 08-03-13, 09:11 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CenturionIM
That is what I need to start to do. I guess I better get use to the yelling.
IMHO yelling is usually interpreted as an invitation to engage in a confrontation which is best avoided. When verbally confronted I TRY to act as though I'm deaf. Let the person think you're clueless and hopefully they'll just continue on their way.