Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is there a safe way to show support while driving?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 07:42 AM
Katosu - Sotaka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love cycling, and I love cyclist. However, recently, I've been at a conundrum: Is there a way to show your approval / support for fellow cyclist on the road? Rather, is there a SAFE way to do so?

I always thought maybe a thumbs-up or something would suffice, but that seems kind of odd. I know riding the bike on the roads around here can be quite degrading - people honk at you, scream at you, mock you, do just about anything to make you miserable, so I want to show them that not all drivers are ignorant and stereotypical rednecks.

I've done the thumbs up before, too. <_< They wave and seem to smile when they see it, if they see it. Others kind of cock their head and look at you funny.
Old 08-04-08, 07:56 AM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either a "share the road" number plate like they have in a few states or bumper stickers? Yelling and gesturing out the window usually just looks like another cranky motorist.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 08-04-08, 08:05 AM
pirate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait to pass safely, give them a couple feet when you do pass and don't right or left hook. That's probably the best way to show your support.
Old 08-04-08, 08:06 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Have wondered the same thing myself. I may even have the bike in the back of my truck and still be wearing my "colors" and have wondered how to show support for a fellow cyclist.
Old 08-04-08, 11:41 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Katosu - Sotaka
I love cycling, and I love cyclist. However, recently, I've been at a conundrum: Is there a way to show your approval / support for fellow cyclist on the road? Rather, is there a SAFE way to do so?

I always thought maybe a thumbs-up or something would suffice, but that seems kind of odd. I know riding the bike on the roads around here can be quite degrading - people honk at you, scream at you, mock you, do just about anything to make you miserable, so I want to show them that not all drivers are ignorant and stereotypical rednecks.

I've done the thumbs up before, too. <_< They wave and seem to smile when they see it, if they see it. Others kind of cock their head and look at you funny.

Definitely many things you can do. Yes, the thumbs up and a nice 'shave and a haircut/six bits!' horn beep helps. Second, SLOW DOWN AND SLOW THE PEOPLE BEHIND YOU DOWN. Give cyclists their due, whether it is 3 feet or whatever, and slow down until it is safe to pass. Be vigilant when cyclists take the lane...don't forget, they don't have brake lights so ya need to be attentive to see if they are slowing down to turn right or left at the next intersection.

ADVOCATE better roadways, especially improved (wider, cleaner, well marked) shoulders. This makes the roadway safer for everyone.

roughstuff
Old 08-04-08, 11:53 AM
st0ut

Bikes: Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep you bike rack on your car. I love seeing cars with bike racks on them. lets me know they are not trying to kill me.
Old 08-04-08, 11:53 AM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Treat them as you want to be treated and lead other motorists by example:

I pass bikes as if they are the vehicles they are, I follow at a safe distance (one car length for every 10mphs of speed as I was taught in Dr. Ed. for following cars), I wait until a safe passing location (including a dotted center yellow if on a marked two lane road), I use my blinker (wish cars would do this when passing cars!), change to the next lane after checking my blind spot, make the pass at a safe speed and with due caution, and use my blinker before changing back to the original lane and checking my blind spot.

I do not do the things which really annoy me as a cyclist: honking, yelling, gesturing, etc. Honks always seem to startle me (even if done in a happy rhythm and with no ill intent), yelling is always indecipherable, gesturing is usually impossible to interpret through the side and rear windows.
Old 08-04-08, 11:58 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Don't drive like a ******, don't honk, don't holler and give me plenty of space...that's all the support I need.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-04-08, 01:31 PM
MichaelS

Bikes: Iron Horse Mtn Bike, Kona Dr Dew, need a real road bike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Definitely many things you can do. Yes, the thumbs up and a nice 'shave and a haircut/six bits!' horn beep helps. Second, SLOW DOWN AND SLOW THE PEOPLE BEHIND YOU DOWN. Give cyclists their due, whether it is 3 feet or whatever, and slow down until it is safe to pass. Be vigilant when cyclists take the lane...don't forget, they don't have brake lights so ya need to be attentive to see if they are slowing down to turn right or left at the next intersection.

ADVOCATE better roadways, especially improved (wider, cleaner, well marked) shoulders. This makes the roadway safer for everyone.

roughstuff
I agree, I slow way down and stay behind them until it is very safe to pass and never pass too close. Also, advocate for better roadways and better enforcement of trafic laws which will probaby require retraining of police (make them ride bikes to and from and during work for a while and we might see them actually start to care a bit more).
Old 08-04-08, 02:00 PM
lmxloco
Vine, vi, monte bicicleta

Bikes: 2005 Tomasso Imola Road bike, 2001 Ironhorse Outlaw hard tail, 2008 Motobecane Fantom Trail DS FS, 2009 GT Agressor with upgraded BB, brakes and F/R deraileurs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I figured seeing as how cyclists usually need water I will usually chuck...ahem...gently toss, a full water bottle at them. I have to yell too, to make sure they know I was well intentioned.

Most are usually very polite, holding their hands out and telling me I'm number one.
Old 08-04-08, 02:03 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rattle a cowbell so they think there is a prime coming up and they dial it up a notch with excitement.
Old 08-04-08, 02:16 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Rattle a cowbell so they think there is a prime coming up and they dial it up a notch with excitement.
You are an evil little feller....I like you.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-04-08, 04:27 PM
ChezJfrey
Rider in the Storm

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, KHS Fiero (Fixed), Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny thing is, I know a guy that drives around with a cowbell in his vehicle and when he is driving up an extended hill where cyclists are prone to be, he rattles it as he passes and yells, "Allez! Allez!"
Old 08-04-08, 06:24 PM
Hickeydog
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Don't drive like a ******, don't honk, don't holler and give me plenty of space...that's all the support I need.
+1

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Old 08-04-08, 06:39 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends.

If they appear to be riding legally I give a thumbs up or wave out the window or sunroof depending on where I'm sitting and which side of the car will pass them.

If they're riding the wrong way, on the sidewalk, running redlights, etc., I do nothing, other than a safe pass.
Old 08-04-08, 08:48 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
... I know riding the bike on the roads around here can be quite degrading - people honk at you, scream at you, mock you, do just about anything to make you miserable ...
This statement sounds very odd to me. The JAMs that act like this are degrading themselves, not me. Although I do not like their behavior, after riding another 100 yards, I have put their bad behavior behind me. Most of the JAMs continue to remain angry for the rest of their drive.

... so I want to show them that not all drivers are ignorant and stereotypical rednecks. ...
Almost all of us know the JAMs comprise only 1 or 2 % of all the drivers out there.
Old 08-04-08, 09:52 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 08-04-08, 10:52 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-05-08, 08:20 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Slow down to the speed the bikes are going.

Put my four-way flashers on.

Stay 250 feet back.
Old 08-05-08, 08:59 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Only pass cyclists when there is safe space and visibility, and scrupulously obey speed limits at all times, regardless of the speed of other drivers!
Old 08-05-08, 09:10 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hand out a feed bag or bottles of water as you pass and let them know how long to the break ahead. also, when they grab the bottle from your hand have them hold on so they can get a little break from pedaling. not to long though, otherwise he'll be penalized time.
Old 08-05-08, 09:17 AM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sticker from the LBS on my car.
Old 08-05-08, 09:18 AM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
[

I like this one.
Old 08-05-08, 09:46 AM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do as you would be done by
Old 08-05-08, 10:06 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Holland
Do as you would be done by
Do others before they do you...or she calls the cops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.