Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need large, high quality flats.

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 10:06 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never use clipless pedals on my bikes and often ride in the winter and wear big boots. I wear a size 13 so I usually get bmx flats which are tuff but weigh a ton. Can anyone recommend a good pair of flat pedals that have a large platform, replaceable pins would be nice, serviceable would be even better, and not weighing a ton would be great. Is such a thing out there?
Old 08-06-08, 01:44 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
These are all good pedals. I like Rivendell's display because of the measuring tape. That might be helpful for you, too.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-07-08, 12:21 PM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
these are the nicest quality flats ive ever seen come through the shop. https://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/pedals.php
Old 08-07-08, 01:23 PM
cman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some Kona Primo Jack****'s that I like alot. Fairly light weight with replaceable studs. Large surface area. https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=40680
Old 08-07-08, 01:49 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cman
I have some Kona Primo Jack****'s that I like alot. Fairly light weight with replaceable studs. Large surface area. https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=40680

I like that they can be serviced.

Must pedals tout the sealed bearings like not being able to service your bearings is a good thing.
Old 08-07-08, 02:42 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Domromer
I like that they can be serviced.

Must pedals tout the sealed bearings like not being able to service your bearings is a good thing.
Well, the lubrication in pedal bearings isn't going to wear out. So bearing failure is from wear or from contamination of the lubricant. Sealed bearings are much more resistant to contamination, so you'll greatly increase the life of the bearings that way. I rather suspect that very few pedal bearings get replaced, the whole things replaced.