Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is there a safe way to show support while driving?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Is there a safe way to show support while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 03:20 PM
richardg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One way to show your support is to attend your municipal advisory meetings on cycle safety and traffic planning. There's one here in Los Angeles tonight and I'll be there.
Old 08-05-08, 03:40 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
You don't need to show support, just be respectful and safe as you should around any other driver.
Old 08-05-08, 08:20 PM
Texas Doc
Easy Day!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Katosu - Sotaka
I love cycling, and I love cyclist. However, recently, I've been at a conundrum: Is there a way to show your approval / support for fellow cyclist on the road? Rather, is there a SAFE way to do so?

Yes, drive safe around cyclists - and be a good example for other drivers to follow.
Old 08-05-08, 09:06 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I see cars with bikes on the back, I don't think 'hey, they support cycling', I think 'why aren't they riding it?'.
Old 08-05-08, 10:59 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Thumbs up, waves and big smiles are nice. I like it when I get 'em.
Old 08-05-08, 11:06 PM
RickAccused

Bikes: Panisonic Dx2000(R.I.P), Panasonic DX 5000, Panasonic DX 1000, Trek 530, Schwinn Varsity, Motobecane Mirage, other bikes that I've garbage picked or found

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allister
When I see cars with bikes on the back, I don't think 'hey, they support cycling', I think 'why aren't they riding it?'.
haha I do the same thing.

For the most part when i'm driving i advocate by treating the cyclist the way i'd want to be treated on the road, and wave hello or give them a wave.
Old 08-06-08, 01:46 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I like this one.
You can get one for free.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-06-08, 02:09 AM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the pledge:

https://www.healthystreets.org/drive_...re_pledge.html
Old 08-06-08, 08:05 AM
smyth
Kyleness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when i worked at a mechanics shop we had a customer that worked at a car accessory shop and did vinyl work. i had him make me a bumber sticker that said "my other car is a bicycle"
when a cyclist came up to me at a light they'd be laughing and just say "nice bumper sticker, man" or something to that effect. that was my support. i've since sold that car and have no intentions of getting another for a long time. but i just figured i'd do that since i hate people honking even when it's friendly, and generally i can't tell what someone is yelling or doing with their hands so i don't do that. at a light a thumbs up is probably recognizable, but it could easily seem sarcastic i guess, and if the car is moving it would probably look like a different finger is extended.

kyle
Old 08-06-08, 12:38 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Allister
In my case, it means I am taking my wife's car in for expensive repairs and I would rather ride my bicycle while the repairs are being done, rather than sit on my ass (four new tires Tuesday $390).
Old 08-06-08, 12:43 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
We could copy the bumpersticker from motorcycles, and say Look Twice! Save a Life. Bicycles are everywhere.

roughstuff
Old 08-06-08, 05:53 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
In my case, it means I am taking my wife's car in for expensive repairs and I would rather ride my bicycle while the repairs are being done, rather than sit on my ass (four new tires Tuesday $390).
I never said it was an entirely rational thought process. No need to defend yourself to me, dude.
Old 08-11-08, 07:39 AM
littlewaywelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Share the Road bumper sticker.
Old 08-11-08, 10:42 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I was out riding with my kids recently. There is a road with a nice, wide and fairly clean shoulder that we were riding on. I was a little ahead, and a car honked at my kids, and then honked at me. I dutifully flipped them off, and when they passed, I was surprised to see that the car had 2 expensive bikes on a roof rack. I dunno about some people, I can't imagine a cyclist that thinks honking is anything other than an aggressive act.

When I'm driving, I just try to pass cyclists as responsibly and quickly as possible. I prefer to be passed with as little fuss as possible. I wouldn't like it if someone was disrupting traffic behind me in some effort to "help" me. I recall one ride where someone refused to pass me for many miles for absolutely no reason. They built up a huge line of cars behind me. That was incredibly annoying. The other drivers don't get pissed at the car driver, they get pissed at the cyclist.
Old 08-18-08, 07:32 AM
smyth
Kyleness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
When I'm driving, I just try to pass cyclists as responsibly and quickly as possible. I prefer to be passed with as little fuss as possible. I wouldn't like it if someone was disrupting traffic behind me in some effort to "help" me. I recall one ride where someone refused to pass me for many miles for absolutely no reason. They built up a huge line of cars behind me. That was incredibly annoying. The other drivers don't get pissed at the car driver, they get pissed at the cyclist.
I've had the same thing happen to me. I looked back and yelled to the driver to just pass me but they wouldn't. it was a country road so there wasn't anywhere to turn off for a while but once i got to a right hand turn i made it just so they would go. I know the person was trying to help but really it was annoying to me and the cars behind.

kyle
Old 08-18-08, 07:05 PM
joshandlauri
Got another new bike

Bikes: pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Don't drive like a ******, don't honk, don't holler and give me plenty of space...that's all the support I need.
i agree with this one, or put a share the road decal on your car.

https://www.cafepress.com/sharetheroad
Old 08-18-08, 08:22 PM
Mr Danw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Katosu - Sotaka
I love cycling, and I love cyclist. However, recently, I've been at a conundrum: Is there a way to show your approval / support for fellow cyclist on the road? Rather, is there a SAFE way to do so?

I always thought maybe a thumbs-up or something would suffice, but that seems kind of odd. I know riding the bike on the roads around here can be quite degrading - people honk at you, scream at you, mock you, do just about anything to make you miserable, so I want to show them that not all drivers are ignorant and stereotypical rednecks.

I've done the thumbs up before, too. <_< They wave and seem to smile when they see it, if they see it. Others kind of cock their head and look at you funny.
Your car needs a friendly bell. How about if all cyclists that want to show their support give a ring-ring on their way by from their car.

Last edited by Mr Danw; 08-18-08 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-19-08, 12:23 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
The other night I was stopped at a light on a busy intersection. There was a car next to me sharing the lane. The light went green, and I jumped on it. I usually get to the other side of the intersection before the cars, so at first I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the car which had been waiting alongside me in the intersection had not yet passed me. But by the time I was two intersection-widths past the intersection, I began wondering what became of the car.

I became aware that the car was hanging back, sort of behind me. It had plenty of room to get around me, but was just kind of slowing traffic down behind it and hanging a car length or two behind me. Wierd... by now I'm going about 24mph thanks to a little tailwind.

A half mile later, the car passed me, and someone in the back rolled down the window to shout, "Good going, keep it up!!!"

Probably the nicest thing anyone has shouted to me from a passing car, and I actually appreciated it.
Old 08-26-08, 09:00 AM
ScarfaceRabbit
___

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week I had my first incident of random yelling from a passing car while I was riding both legally and safely, so it made yesterday's incident that much more rewarding:

On my ride home I was stopped at a light, and as I was looking around the woman in the car next to me gave me a "thumbs up" with a big smile.
Old 08-27-08, 08:11 AM
BritGuyNJ
Alan

Bikes: Trek 6700, Giant OCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?...ine=1217331601

Not another one of those left-handed bikes?
Old 08-30-08, 03:05 PM
Doored

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there are no cyclists close behind you, be proactive: Drive in the door zone.