Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where do I put all my stuffs?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Where do I put all my stuffs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 09:23 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
This bike really DOES have a gun carrier in the rear triangle and an ammo box under the top tube.

Zwei Radfahren by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
Old 10-12-13, 10:04 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Wallet in front of shorts, becomes package enhancement.
For those that need it.
Old 10-12-13, 10:11 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Problem with saddle mounted tool bags are in the case of multiple bikes that are switched out often. I really don't want to have a tool kit for each bike, and switching it is a PITA. Hence I carry the tools in my center pocket. One set works for all three bikes.
Old 10-12-13, 11:16 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Problem with saddle mounted tool bags are in the case of multiple bikes that are switched out often. I really don't want to have a tool kit for each bike, and switching it is a PITA. Hence I carry the tools in my center pocket. One set works for all three bikes.
They make these new fangled saddle bags with with detachable mounts. They just came out 20 years ago.
Old 10-12-13, 01:04 PM
MingusDew

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Fizik stuff is cool, has a nice little clip that attaches to their saddles. If you have Fizik saddles on all your bikes, it can be pretty easy to switch back and forth

Attached Images
Old 10-12-13, 01:27 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Every bike I own has different size tires and I would have to play musical tubes. I know I would end up with a flat and no fitting tube. I have a multitool fetish anyway, so I just have a dedicated kit and pump for each bike.
Old 10-12-13, 01:45 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The problem with stuffing your jersey pockets full of stuff is that it doesn't look any better than a saddle bag IMO. I once passed a guy with bulging jersey pockets and you could clearly make out every individual tool he was carrying. I thought to myself "does he really think that looks better than a saddle bag?" If you're MacGyver and can repair anything with a tire lever, patch kit and CO2 inflator than your jersey pockets will probably suffice.

Last edited by Dunbar; 10-12-13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 01:45 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Get a saddle bag. They're fine and most people use them (even the pros during training). If you feel bad about it just get the smallest possible one. Everything else goes in your jersey pockets.
Old 10-12-13, 02:05 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by garciawork
Camelbak. Then I have space and plenty of water.
+1
My Coleman wallymart $7.00 clearance has served me perfecto for on and off-road. Took a bit getting used to but now wouldn't think of any other way. With the exception of touring, I won't take it as the bike gets loaded plus bottles. The bike feels much lighter during sprint or uphill. Carry minimalist in light multi-function tool, spare tube, micro-pump, snacks and depending on season - light jacket and leg warmers. A small peeve is having a fellow rider ask to carry some of their stuff.... seriously now!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5705.jpg (102.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-12-13, 02:16 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by fmy906
Your domestiques carry your stuff.

Read about the early years Tour de Fra, some team captains required his domestiques hold him up while relieving himself. They then would provide newspaper or wipe him to clean up! Ahhhh, I feel better already.... back onto the topic.....
Old 10-12-13, 03:12 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mainly depends on what your goal is with a roadie. If you just want to get out on the pavement and get exercise then a few extra pounds for safety sake is no real issue then to have a under seat bag and such. If you are into racing and such then you go with nothing what so ever but better have a SAG or better yet a friend one call away to come and get you if a failure occurs.

I am the in between I just mentioned. Try to get better on my rides and times; try to be a minimalist as much as possible while still being prepared. Therefore I carry the following in my second water bottle on the frame:

Extra tube
CO2 inflator and 2 CO2's
small self-adhesive patch kit
Tire lever
Small multi-tool
Some extra chain links

This will usually get me out of a pinch and looks simply like I am sporting an extra water bottle on the bike.
Old 10-12-13, 03:17 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by canam73
They make these new fangled saddle bags with with detachable mounts. They just came out 20 years ago.
That IS new fangled. I'll wait until it has a chance to be proven to work. Meanwhile those pesky old pockets will just have to do.
Old 10-12-13, 03:18 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Cyclelogikal
Mainly depends on what your goal is with a roadie. If you just want to get out on the pavement and get exercise then a few extra pounds for safety sake is no real issue then to have a under seat bag and such. If you are into racing and such then you go with nothing what so ever but better have a SAG or better yet a friend one call away to come and get you if a failure occurs.

I am the in between I just mentioned. Try to get better on my rides and times; try to be a minimalist as much as possible while still being prepared. Therefore I carry the following in my second water bottle on the frame:

Extra tube
CO2 inflator and 2 CO2's
small self-adhesive patch kit
Tire lever
Small multi-tool
Some extra chain links

This will usually get me out of a pinch and looks simply like I am sporting an extra water bottle on the bike.
In some climates there is nothing extra about a second water bottle.
Old 10-12-13, 03:23 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Dunbar
The problem with stuffing your jersey pockets full of stuff is that it doesn't look any better than a saddle bag IMO. I once passed a guy with bulging jersey pockets and you could clearly make out every individual tool he was carrying. I thought to myself "does he really think that looks better than a saddle bag?" If you're MacGyver and can repair anything with a tire lever, patch kit and CO2 inflator than your jersey pockets will probably suffice.
Where do you get the idea that the pockets are "stuffed"? And if not for carrying such necessities, what is the point of the pockets? BTW, I would ditch the patch kit. It is just useless dead weight and volume. If two tubes aren't going to cut it, it is not your day to ride. If I had to use that space I would rather just have another tube. On road repairs do work sometimes, but they are notoriously unreliable. Just not enough time for the patch adhesive to cure properly.

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 10-12-13 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 03:25 PM
linsdog

Bikes: 2015 Wilier Cento 1 Air, 2014 Trek Remedy 8 27.5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ this

That and nothing wrong with a saddle bag imo
Old 10-12-13, 03:26 PM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I am a camel and store fluids better than most!
Old 10-12-13, 03:30 PM
rpenmanparker 

These threads are so ridiculous. Not the opinions expressed, but the lack of understanding that there are exactly two kinds of road cyclists, pocket people and on-bike bag people. No minds will ever be changed. And don't really need to be either. It is just fun to watch the dueling.
Old 10-12-13, 03:51 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
These threads are so ridiculous. Not the opinions expressed, but the lack of understanding that there are exactly two kinds of road cyclists, pocket people and on-bike bag people. No minds will ever be changed. And don't really need to be either. It is just fun to watch the dueling.
Ha, agreed! And with that, I'm going to respond to your above post.

Where do you get the idea that the pockets are "stuffed"? And if not for carrying such necessities, what is the point of the pockets? BTW, I would ditch the patch kit. It is just useless dead weight and volume. If two tubes aren't going to cut it, it is not your day to ride. If I had to use that space I would rather just have another tube. On road repairs do work sometimes, but they are notoriously unreliable. Just not enough time for the patch adhesive to cure properly.
I only carry one tube, but still keep a patch kit...the patch kit takes up far less room than a second tube. Plus, how often do you double flat anyway - that said, I did last weekend, still it was the second time I have ever needed a second tube and both times I was riding with others.

The idea of throwing everything in your jersey pockets is nice, but sometimes, you just can't do it. This morning when I left the house it was in the 50's. By the time I got done riding it was in the 80's. Which meant I had a wind vest and arm warmers in one pocket, an abundance of food in another pocket, and cell phone, id, credit card, cash in my other pocket. I was out of pockets!

Old 10-12-13, 04:07 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13720 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
this.

Stuff that stays with the bike, tube, tire levers, CO2, patchkit, boot, multi tool in small seatbag.

Stuff that doesn't stay with bike, phone, cash, credit card, in jersey pocket.

Some people will argue that the seat bag looks bad, but it's worth it to always have everything you need, without having to grab it up each ride, and a small bag is hardly noticeable anyway.
This.
Old 10-12-13, 05:02 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went without a bag for a while, but I really got tired of the wieght, including my phone on the other side. So I bought this:
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...jor=3&minor=17

Mount it backward so it sits-up higher, then wrap elastic velcro around it so it's super-secure. Mine holds a tube, two CO2 cans (one with nozzle attached) one tire lever, patch kit, and a chunk of a tire for tire-booting. I shove another tube under the saddle for super-long trips. I also keep a micro pump on a cage so that I can pump up a tube, then use the CO2 can to add pressure. This way I can inflate 2-3 tires with 100psi from one CO2 can.

I ran this prior, and it's great:
https://www.syncros.com/syncros/us/en...grey-one-size/

Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 10-12-13 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 05:57 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

What dueling? The OP inquired and we are all just saying what we use and why we like it. It's personal preference and no answer is right or wrong.
Old 10-12-13, 08:03 PM
Samfujiabq

Bikes: 14 Wilier zero7,13 Fuji Altimira SL,10 Fuji SL1RC,09 Yeti Mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peiper1
So where do all you Americans put your guns & ammunition when you ride ....?
Pistol gear,,designed for cyclists and runners,,,I do both,waterproof ,comfortable,fully adjustable.Dont leave home without it!lol
Old 10-12-13, 08:15 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where do you get the idea that the pockets are "stuffed"?
Because I saw it with my own two eyes? Like this, and I should get bonus points for finding a picture of ladies with "stuffed" jersey pockets...

Last edited by Dunbar; 10-12-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 08:50 PM
crash14me

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a pocket guy for the longest but then I got a saddle bag and I love it. Knowing that all my stuff is on the bike whenever I want to go ride is worth losing a bit of aesthetic appeal. I still carry my phone and keys in my jersey pockets.
Old 10-12-13, 09:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Frame pump on the bike, spare tubular and peanut butter tool strapped under the saddle. What else do you need if you're a real roadie?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.